Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding helmet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50 Ragtop, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I use a spendy ($370) SpeedGlass helmet at work and my Dad's HF helmet is more than good enough (and safe enough) for home use. Not bad at all.

2. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

As said above, I don't trust auto darkening helmets. I own and use them, but close my eyes for a second while stiking an arc. I'm used to a flip down helmet, so using an auto darkening helmet the way I described just lets my positioning be more accurate on start up.

3. fbama73

fbama73

I'm with Del on a well timed blink with arc start when using an auto darkening helmet. And I use the non-auto darkening type from time to time, just so I don't forget how to use them.

And I find it interesting that some report that they have more instances of the darkening dropping out with HF helmets than with big name brands. I've only used HF and Miller helmets, and my experience has been the opposite-I've had Miller helmets (more than one) go light at inopportune times MANY more times than with HF helmets (also more than one).

4. williebill

williebill

When I was 38,I had my first cataract replaced with a piece of plastic that'll be in my eye til I die.The second one was done when I was 40..A shitty cheap mig gun that would misfire while postioning myself for close up welding was more than likely a major cause.And of course this happened while my hood was up,and I was getting ready to weld,and I wouldn't see the wire silently shooting out of the gun until it stuck on something..I got flashed a lot,until I finally wised up too late and got a better rig.
    Now I use a Jackson auto helmet,an early version that cost big bucks at the time.I take good care of that helmet,yet after a night of welding,I can't read the newspaper,with glasses or not.My eyes just won't focus til the next day..My eyes are already fucked,and I don't want to stop welding,so I'll keep doing it...But eye problems really do suck,take care of yours.

5. I did not know that there was such a thing.

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

$39 dollars onsale locally. I don't have to make a living with mine, but like it. Good hobby helmet.

7. lawman

lawman

I use a Speedglass.Not cheap BUT what price do you put on your eye's !!!!!

8. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

My son calls it Helen Keller welding.

9. I keep seein' the brand name "Speedglass".

What does a Speedglass helmet cost?

10. spot

spot
    from usa

My eyes are very sensitive and while working my way through college as machinist's helper I was flashed many times from the guys welding on the other side of the shop. So I don't like the feeling. I've used cheap HF hoods (auto and standard) and both hurt my eyes. I now use an Optrel satelite hood and it is the best hood I've used to date. A pro welder in the ship building industry introduced me to this and it is worth every penny. I never have the eye strain or pain that used to accompany hours of welding. If your are going to weld seriously find someone that does it for a living and see how and what they use. Our eyes are way too important to risk with a $20 hood.

11. lakester47

lakester47

I have used a HF helmet for several years and so do all my friends, some that weld for a living. There have been no complaints, in fact several expensive auto-darkening helmets have been replaced with the HF helmets. But like all things in life, opinions vary. Try one for yourself and see what you think.

12. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I normally use a Miller but I have used both the HF and Northern's $49 helmet. The Northern is better than the HF as far as viewing the puddle. I have not done any Tig with the cheaper helmets though.

13. lawman

lawman

I gave about $275.00 for mine 12 years ago. I think they are about
    $390.00 now.

14. If you're cheap I suppose the way to go is a regular old helmet. I think mine cost $5 at an auction a few years ago. From reading this thread it sounds like your experience will vary depending on the sensitivity of your eyes, but I suppose if you buy the HF one and don't like it, you can return it.

15. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

My employer paid for mine and it was (I think) about $380 and has everything adjustable. Shade when welding, shade when not welding and darkening speed are all set with a click of a button. It has a large view port and is comfy. I had them order it when I started doing more tig aluminum welding and my old non-auto helmet just wasn't as easy to use anymore. Welding alongside the crack was getting embarrassingly common. A good auto-darkening helmet will make you a better welder and be safe to use as well.

16. choppd27'Munster

choppd27'Munster

i weld everyday. ive used the optrel which i loved, i used the miller elite which is a nice and comfy hood to where while tigin. my dad bought a hf for in our garage and it works great for using in the garage but i wouldnt trust it for heavy duty, long term welding. If your tig welding the auto darking hoods like a gift from god. but while im flux corin or mig welding i prefer my shade 12 jackson hood. Just remember ''your eyes are the windows to the world'', and those windows ya cant replace.:)

17. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

It's up to the individual of course but auto dim helmets have already been around for over 20 years.
    One of the originators is 3M company which I believe is sold under the SPEEDGLAS name (not Speedglass).
    It is usually the options that drive the price up. The basic Speedglas model is under $200.

18. papajohn

papajohn

Loved mine till I dropped it! Then I bought a new one (looks like a skull). They both work well. Not crazy about the headbands how they flip, but the auto darkening seems to work fast enough.

19. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

My best boss ( RIP) always had us wear safety glasses under the welding helmet. He said even clear lenses take 5-10% of the energy out of the arc flash.

When I start using my mid grade helmet for home TIG in the next few weeks I'll do that, in case the delay is too long. Not sure if I can get the reading glass lens to fit my new helmet, so I may have to wear reading glasses instead.

20. Crankhole

Crankhole

Had a HF helmet and was having alot of trouble seeing the puddle. Bought a Miller and am very happy with it.

21. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hf welding helmets last as long as the "good"($$$) helmets,and are as effective.imo.Merry Christmas

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

My oldest uses a Speedglas daily at work. Likes it fine. His younger brother (just into his first year of tech school) will get one from Santa, I suspect. Speedglas has one now (SL model) that only weighs 13oz. Not too outragously priced either.

23. hustler1984

hustler1984
    from lindsay ca

i had a miller helmet for the longest time, it finally died a few months back an could see spending another 400 i went to lowes and bought the century auto helmet for 59.99 it works great for the money

24. My one from Eastwood blows.
    My $40 one from Harbor Freight is perfect.
    Love their stuff for a amature back-yard builder on a lean budget.