Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thrift store find........ A little o/t but cool none the less!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by (BlueOval), Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

Found this at a local thrift store a few days ago and it fit great.Got it home and looked for tags and found this one in the pocket.Best $20 I ever spent........Merry Christmas to me!

Attached Files:

2. dt50chev

dt50chev

Cool find. If you get tired of it, send it my way!!

3. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Neat piece of history. Thrift stores have tons of good stuff if you look hard enough.

4. big creep

big creep

hey guys there is a thrift store with clear california plates for sale! o think i saw 1940 1969 and one other one. and in the same town at another thrift store the guy had 1940 1941 1950 1951 1936 1938. at the second store i have no clue if they are ca. clear, but if yo call him im sure he will give you the plate number for you to check out? pm me for the place if you want to call them up.

i love thrift store shopping! oh the shop is on the central coast area!

5. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Cool jacket. Take the patches off if you intend to wear it in public.

6. made in the united states. only way to buy clothes made here is to find good old stuff, nice find.

7. AZbent

AZbent

It is amazing the stuff that you can find in the thrift stores.

8. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

Is this for the legal reasons or would it just be disrespectful? Forgive my ignorance in this, I've just never been in the military.
    The last thing I would want to do is disrespect or troops. I think it's too cool to take the patches off, if that's the case I would probably just frame it and hang it on the wall.

9. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

^ Not really disrespectful to remove the badges considering the new owner likely didn't serve in the military himself.

I'd find it disrespectful to walk around in military attire if the person never served for his country. Kind of like trying to command borrowed respect if you ask me.

Dont get me wrong, I see what you're saying, but this is just another way of looking at it.

10. Those wool military jackets are pretty warm.

Thrift stores are a great source for 'finds'. I used to sell vintage clothing on ePay in it's infancy. One of the best clothing finds for me was a pair of late 1940's white Lee brand coveralls embroidered with "Harley Davidson" on the back from a shop in Pennsylvania. I don't remember the name on the front but SHE was an early member of the Motor Maids. Coveralls went to Japan, I went to Hawaii.

11. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Wearing the uniform with patches,insignias etc when not in active service is both unlawful and disrespectful. I wasnt trying to say you were doing so, just putting that out there. Any military jackets etc I wear have been de-badged fully.
    My father(who served) taught me that.
    I asked him "why not,they're real cool?"
    "Did you earn them?"

12. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I think the main thing people are concerned with is " Impersonating an Officer" which is against Federal Law. I don't think impersonating enlisted men is against the law. That jacket probably belonged to a Korean War vintage Airman Third Class (E-2) which isn't a very high rank to impersonate and really won't open any forbidden doors to you. I am an Air Force veteran.

13. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

It is indeed unlawful, but that doesn't mean it would likely be enforced, especially for a vintage garment like this. But I still wouldn't recommend wearing it with the patches on.

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 45 > § 771, 771a and 772

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Stolen Valor is the term. As I understand its OK in Californiastan. Kind of a freedom of speech thing because the folks in charge there dont care about earned honor.
    I wouldnt wear it with patches. But I'd wear it. Thats a warm coat.

15. I was given one of those for free once upon a time along with a real close haircut. Those were the winter blues, and I got married in mine.

16. I love finding stuff like that when i go to thrift stores. Ever thought about getting it appraised?

17. erlomd

erlomd

sweet...goodwill rocks!

18. Very cool find, but as said before, not cool to wear it with any insignia still attached. Sorry.

19. big creep

big creep

good to know that you know the rules of our state see how you live here...................oh wait you dont!

20. bustingear

bustingear

This has a great deal to do with building hotrods
    Girly men

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My Dad did 20 years in the NAVY and us girls, me, my mom and my sister would dress up in Dad's uniforms quite often and play sailor. On Halloween we'd go trick or treating dressed up in his uniforms. My dad thought it was cute and never once mentioned anything about us disrespecting the service, his rank, the uniform or anything. I've still got a whole plastic tote in my basement with a bunch of his uniforms, including hats, waiting for the day that I can fit in them again:rolleyes: or perhaps my nephew's furture children can one day play with their Great Grandfathers old Navy uniforms.

Cool find BTW

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep but unless you are old enough to be in the service when that jacket was actually worn as Adjustablejohnsons was it probably wouldn't be a big issue. A 23 year old in a 50 year old jacket with rank insignias wouldn't be an issue to most but a 75 year old showing up in the same jacket on Vets day or the fourth of July and letting people think that he was a vet when he wasn't would be a damned big deal.

I'm an Army vet but I sill want a genuine Navy wool pea coat one of these days.

23. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

Let's leave the Moderating to the MODERATORS hey Chief?

24. Stop calling that coat "vintage". I have the ones issued to me. You are making me think I might be getting old.

25. big creep

big creep

army surplus store is a great place to find one, i bought one of my girlfriends one when she moved to NYC. she loves that coat!

26. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

All I have left of my A.F. issue is the silver buttons from my blouse that looks just like that one. ('57/'63). (( wish I had my issue still ...wouldn't fit now any way ;)))

I have found a gold mine of music C.D.s in the local thrift stores in this area.:cool:

27. Crankhole

Crankhole

Wear it out of respect. Better than it being left on the rack in a thrift store.

28. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Take the stripes off, youve got a blue coat with Air Force buttons.(Just like the ones I wore for 22 years.)

29. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Cool find! We boought a couple old boxes of magazines at a yard sale while traveling thru Ohio. We seen all the "LIFE" magazines on top and thought they would be cool to see. When we got home and started looking they were all from during World War II. It was neat to read stories from before people knew how the war would play out. The second box was full of "Leatherneck" magazines, they were the offical mags of the Marines and in the bottom was a complete wool uniform. We sent it to a military museum as a donation. They were happy to get it and sent a letter stating it was from before World War II and was so small because it wasn't uncommon for 14 and 15 year old boys to lie about their age and enlist. Donate it to a military museum and they will share it with everyone.

30. evs1

evs1

I have one of those with matching pants. All it cost me was 12 hot weeks at Lackland Air Force Base (Texas), in the summer of '73.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.