Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Making a 671 Blower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dzuari, Oct 20, 2011.

1. budd

budd

looks to me like the blower manifold could be cut in half and shortened then rewelded so it can be used on a 4-71.

2. Suprcub

Suprcub

Yeah you could. We fit our original casting to a Offenhouser 360 and welded it. You can do about anything on aluminum with a plasma cutter and stick weldor, lol. Our adapters are made from A356 aluminum so they weld nice.

3. budd

budd

i also have a 276 Desoto hemi, as far as i know there has never been a 4-71 blower intake made for my engine, so i would need a cast iron one for the stock intake, there is an aluminum intake being made now but i just think the machineing process they do is nasty, this aluminum bracket down sized on that aluminum intake would work, not to take anything away from this thread but i feel inspired to go ahead and have my own cast iron 4-71 mount made, i know a foundry that i have worked with in the past.

4. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

Almost finished. I just want to add another support in the middle but i need a new end mill and finish welding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Suprcub

Suprcub

Yes its hard to fit every application with castings especially with the tooling cost. If you can build you own pattern to your manifold design that would help with the 1 pcs cast iron casting price.

6. Suprcub

Suprcub

Nice Zoo how did the aluminum weld?

7. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

The aluminum welded nicely. It's a quality made piece, no short cuts like other crap I seen out there.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  8. Suprcub

Suprcub

That's what we like to hear, good luck with your project. Post Pictures, lol

9. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

I would like some pictures once you have it on an engine, ill put them on the diamondP facebook page or if you have a facebook you can tag our DiamondP page in them. We love seeing our products out there.

10. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Day 79: "tired of waiting"

Been working on the rotors a lot but back to the housing for a bit.

we are having a company come in to demo some boring bars but they need a casting to test on so i figured i'd just help them get here a little faster :) We still don't have time or our boring bars in to create the fixtures so im going ahead and just machine a one off on one of our Mazak mills.

Facing off the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day is over though, tomorrow ill be facing the bottom side then setting up an angle plate to machine the faces and cut the contours for the plates.

11. big-block

big-block
    from earth

12. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Day 83: monday 01/09/2012

Milling off the bottom face

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drilling out the intake bolt holes, you can also see a 2" end mill cut on the plate face, this has a 0.030" machine stock on it and will be used to indicate the part in when it is mounted to the angle plate to be machined, this insures that when we mount it to the angle plate and that the bearing plate faces will be almost perfectly(i don't like to say "perfectly machined" because there is no such thing as perfect in the machinist world) 90° from the bore center lines and parallel from one another. Once the housing is completely finished i will set it up on our CMM machine which can measure down to 0.0001" accuracy and tell you how close it really is :).

[​IMG]

13. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Day 112: Tuesday 02/07/2012

Alright, we finally have a pallet free'd up and the blower is mounted and ready. im writing the toolpaths now for milling, drilling and taping the faces, after that all we will need is the boring bars and we'll have a machined blower.

Now this is just a one off for now, once one of our verticals are free, we will be able to create the fixture for mass production and get an accurate price on a finished housing.

Also, for anyone that might not have seen my thread, we are now hiring, check out the thread @

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668957

-----------------------------------------

Blower mounted, Tomorrow im going to indicate it in and start cutting.

[​IMG]

14. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I hope all is well Garen. Haven't seen anything in 40+ days.

VR&C.

15. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Everything is going good, there is just a lot going on :). We just got our snouts machined & online. Im now working on a flyer for a race that we will be sponsoring at our local track in October. I don't know if i posted this on the Hamb, but our CNC manager of 16yrs just left us about 2 weeks ago, so most of his responsibilities have been put on me so i'm constantly running around the shop doing different things :). I just got time to get back on the blower last friday, tomorrow i will be back on it too.

We were having communication problems between our mill and computers so i wasn't able to send the tool paths to the machine to cut the blower. The communication is lined out now, but now i have to get the CAM software's post processors correct so that it writes the correct machine language that the machine will read in. So far, i have to edit the script for the machine tool changer and the 4th axis script is also off, once i line those two things out it should be ready to run a dry cut of the blower. Once im to that point i will shoot a short video of the machine dry cutting.

I also just bought a GoPro Camera and mounted it in the lathe to shoot the machining of the snout, im waiting on a new editing software we are about to buy before i upload the video though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UktGAG1Ynus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.diamondp.com/3_7_8_SNOUT_ASSEMBLY_POLISHED_FINISH_6061_T6511_p/dp-0013-101-000.htm

[​IMG]

Here is the flyer that i drew up this weekend, It currently isn't correct, this is just the rough draft.

[​IMG]

16. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Business First and Play will have to wait.

Good to hear everything is good with you.

VR&C.

17. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Day 184: Thursday April 04, 2012

Finally back on the blower. Here is the fixture I've drawn up for the first two cuts on the blower. There will be a 3rd fixture plate that will be used on our 4th axis horizontal that will cut the contours of the plates and bore the housing, I should have that drawn up tomorrow and we will be ordering the steel tomorrow too. The plates will be 19"x38"X1.25" thick A-36 steel ground parallel to 0.001". The pads and locators you see the the pictures will be hot rolled steel cut from our lathe.

The casting on the left will be the first cut, it will be faced, the bolt holes will be drilled and we will be drilling and reaming two dow pin holes that will be used to locate the casting for the next two machining operations. The right casting will be located using the dow holes from the previous operation, it will be faced, drilled, and spot-faced for the intake bolt holes.

-----------------------------------------------------------

These two things are locators, the casting will be pushed up against these then clamped down.

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Locators and pads, the pads are used to raise up the casting so that it will sit flat and not touch any gating or riser metal that was not cut or ground off. All pads and locators will be Dow-pinned into location.

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Powdercoat system

Also our powdercoat system has be coming in for the past week! they should be here installing it any time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. llonning

llonning

Glad to see an update. Looking real good.

19. deto

deto

this is fantastic. its great to see this happening in the US

20. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Im going to get on buying some blower parts soon from ya and look forward to everything else! Subscribed!

21. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Day 189 Tuesday 04/24/2012

Final fixture for the housing. This will be on the 6 pallet 4th axis mazak horizontal, the faces will be cut and contoured on this fixture and bored. You can see the translucent casting stock that will be used to calculate the tool path for the machine.

The steel will be ordered tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Here is also a sneak peak of something soon to come.

[​IMG]

22. st cloud rustoms

st cloud rustoms

I'm in awe of your build on this so far. It's amazing and I like it a lot. Quick question. In your cut file from your blank, it looks like you have features that maybe at one time carried a purpose, but don't seem to anymore. IE; the "ears" on the left side of the housing, I point to in the picture below. They may have had a purpose in the past in the blowers original application, but what purpose now?

I see you make front covers, rear covers, bearing plates etc that have the ears as well. I'm guessing this is so they'll work on any blower out there, but since your making your own - why not rid it of useless features? Make it your own?

Again, just a question. This is an awesome build and can't wait to see it done.

[​IMG]

23. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

We started out making replacement parts, that is why we are cutting these first housings to fit our plates. All we will have to do for different plates is change the cut on the housing model and the tool path will regenerate itself and we will have a new housing style. For the new plates, all we will do is change the model, print them out on our 3D printer, throw them on a board and run some castings.

24. fantastic work - very nice

25. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

An amazing process and a ton of work. Well done!!

26. jam0o0

jam0o0

thanks for posting all this info. it's great to see all the detail in the process. it really helps to see where the cost for the parts goes.

27. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

Day 198 Thursday 5/3/2012

The hot rolled steel came in today for the fixture locators and pads. Right now we are are cutting some more 4140 steel snout coupler on the lathe, once they are done we will start in on cutting the blower fixture. The ground plate will be in on the 8th.

Also, the company we purchased our powdercoat system from will start building it tomorrow! I'll be setting up our GoPro camera to make a time-lapse video of it.

Here is a new video i just uploaded, we just purchased new video editing software so I've been messing around with a bit. Dont forget to watch it in HD.

Making a Snout Assembly

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KWoQ1xQLz7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Precision grinding some key ways that will be bolted to the bottom side of the fixture plates and will locate the fixtures onto our CNC machines.

[​IMG]

28. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

The holes for the intake bolts look to close to the case. Are you going to cut those big square lugs off the tops off the case?

29. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

When do you think these will hit the market?

30. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

yes we will be cutting them off, that is just stock added on so that we can design various style plates off of one casting, and the intake bolts will be spot faced to clear the housing, it wont cut into the housing much.