Register now to get rid of these ads!

raising the roof, too chopped 31

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pastlane, Dec 12, 2011.

1. pastlane

pastlane

Have this 31 A stuffed into my shop as a winter project. Nice body but they chopped it too far (and really screwed up the firewall). Anyone have the pieces from chopping their A laying around? Would like to raise it 2 or 3 inches. If I can find the bits, I'll undo the ribbed roof insert while I'm cutting on it.

Attached Files:

2. 63dan63

63dan63

like these?

Attached Files:

3. banditomerc

banditomerc

The planets are aligned!

4. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Now thats funny!

5. pastlane

pastlane

I love the HAMB. PM sent

6. 117harv

117harv

I agree on the firewall, and maybe the roof...but the top is spot on...well for me atleast:)

7. pastlane

pastlane

The top & firewall almost kept me from making the trade but the body is rock solid. With the windshield frame in I can't see out of it.

8. 117harv

117harv

There is a thread on here somewhere where someone modified the top of the dash, if i'm not mistaken it was an A. They took most if not all of the metal at the dash rail so the windshield frame was about a 1/2" above the cowl when closed. This modification could help with the lack of visabality and save a ton of metal/roof re-work...just a thought.

9. pastlane

pastlane

Thanks Harv! I'll start digging for that thread.

10. Just trade it for a nice body that's not chopped. That thing looks great from here.

11. Whats "Chopped Too Much" ??????

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree^^^, looks like it would be a lot of work to undo a pretty rad body.....

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i got a good firewall if you need... fix the chop.

14. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

5 inch chop and a nice firewall.

Attached Files:

15. 5w30

5w30
    from oregon

I think a 5 inch chop is the sweet spot for 30-31 A coupes just my 2 cents!!

16. +1 to the chop looking good. I'd swap it out for an original firewall though, but leave the chop as is! That thing looks badass.

17. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Firewall sucks bad. Chop kicks ass. Ribbed roof, not a fan. I agree, trade it for a nice unchopped body if thats what you want. Way, way, way less work.

18. johnnykck

johnnykck

I agree on fixing the chop, 3 to 4 inches is max for a 30-31 model A in my opinion, I also agree on the butchered firewall. But the roof ain't that bad, if you are building a 60's style car that is.

19. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Leave the chop and the firewall and put a Hemi in it!

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Myself, i'd try to cut a deal with someone who is chopping theirs, take their roof and throw it on yours and your roof and throw it on theirs, that way you only need to weld it in one place

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was thinking the same thing. Find a Street Rodder that wants a ribbed roof. :)

22. i agree, but if he's going for an early look it may not suit the style to have a chopped roof. if it were me i'd do just as you've said.

lost?????

23. The amount of chop on a coupe is usually dictated by how tall you are and if your going to channel it. If your 5'6" or 5'7" your probably good to go. Any taller and somethings gotta give, especially channeled. In my case my back went first.

24. Cruiser

Cruiser

Your plans for the "A" are sound go for it.

CRUISER :cool:

25. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Chop looks good? Ribbed roof and all. Why would you even think about raising it? Throw a stock firewall in there and call it a day..

26. Rem

Rem

lol ;)

27. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I did that on my '34 pickup. The 32-34 pickups have about a 1-1/2" area between the cowl and the bottom of the windshield frame. I took 3/4" out of mine. I don't know if it's possible on a Model A, the windshield frame is right on top of the cowl.

28. I agree that the chop is about perfect, I'd modify the visor if being able to see is really a problem. The car looks perfect the way it is. The firewall I'd fix.

29. 117harv

117harv

34 drag truck build Yes here is the thread i was thinking of, Mat Thrashers truck a couple of posts above, page 6 shows the mod. While yours won't be the same you could do a mod. on the same area to gain some more windshield, again just a thought.

30. pastlane

pastlane

117harv thanks for the link.
    No question that the firewall will be changed out. I've searched around for a complete roof with no luck. I'm 6'1 so it's pretty tight in there, will only get worse once the floor is in.