Register now to get rid of these ads!

OLD 58 IMPALA CUSTOM--HITS ROCK BOTTOM?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarliner, Oct 17, 2004.

1. T NEWMAN

T NEWMAN
    from TX

The guy who bought it from Darrel had not finished paying for it before it was stolen from his shop, therefore he still has the title. Not claiming ownership but thought the person who owns this car now might be interested in an original 1958 title. He only owed another $100.00 on it. not worth the time and leg work.

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Sorry boys, I got my butt spanked.

Still wanna know what happened to it tho..............what can I say? I've got a soft spot for 58 Chevs.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. HRod 50

HRod 50

Gotta Love the HAMB!!!

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Earlier posts indicated that he sold it to a friend.. Lots of people sure would like to see some progress on this ol girl..Maybe Scarliner can get the new owner to chime in and tell us whats up!

5. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Well now I'm SUPER curious between this thread, that guy with the mag and my pm inbox...........what's it doing, how's it look, etc.

*sigh* Men.:D

6. WOW,thanks for the pics!!-MIKE:eek::cool:

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some interesting ideas there. I'm happy to hear that it's origins have been confirmed and would love to see how it looks today.

8. T NEWMAN

T NEWMAN
    from TX

Spoke with the owner for about an hour today and he says he is going to restore it as close to custom as possible. He has not done much but gather info until now. He says he is going to start on it now that he has our number. We are looking for the old title to send him and maybe some more pics.
    Loaned out the scrap books a few years back and did not get it all back. Not a friend any more as you can imagine. The magazines magically disappeared. Will keep up the search for him and will post any pics I run across. Thank all of you here for keeping this thread alive for us to find. It is a godsend to know someone is going to restore her. Oh by the way, Starbird nicknamed the car The Golden Goddess. Todd

9. jaxkarz

jaxkarz

I know this car very well and the builder is Darryl Nwman . He is a very talented guy and did several other customs beside this one including a 53 ford convert with twin packard taillights and a couple of really wild el caminos. he went to many starbird shows and the big shows in the texas and southwest area but I never thought he recieved the recognition he deserved because we are in such a remote area. He drove the the impala was his wife's daily driver and she drove it to work regularly. One of the first modificAtions he did was the tailfins and taillights which I think were 60 cadillac.I have spent many miles driving and in search of the car and made many phone calls but had about given up and figured whoever stole it had destroyed the car because it had just had the original engine removed and replaced with a porcupine big block with a GMC blower. I figured in was stolen for the motor and the car was destroyed because it was too unique and someone might identify it and get the thief caught. The impala was alwaws a work in progress and darryl would come up with a new modification regularly to keep the car fresh for the show circuit. I have a picture of it at my house when it a mild custon it was lowered with lake pipes and fill bronze roll and pleat with a t.v. in trunk it had expanded metal grill with cabinet pulls. the car was bronze all of the time That I remember.The picture showed the tailfins and lites that were done early on I think the fins were made from a 56 ford pickup hood and you will find very little filler as Darryl is a very talented metal worker. my pictures are 35 mm color slides and I dont know how to send then but I will try to find someone who can.

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

^^^^^^^^

wow!

11. chevyhound

chevyhound
    from usa

BUMP for a great story!!