Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. 63dan63

63dan63

The Red Baron

Attached Files:

2. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

My brother and I were 5 years old in '67 when we got our first model cars. I got a 'brand new' '67 GTO, and he got a '67 Mustang fastback. Both AMT kits, molded in all white, and that's just the way we put 'em together. We were too impatient to paint any of the parts. Just white & chrome, with rubber tires, and model glue all over the windows!
    Remember that 60's model glue in the orange & white soft metal tube? I'm sure it killed some of our 5-year-old brain cells, but it sure was fun!

3. My first was an AMT '57 Chevy back in the '70s. Built many throughout that decade. All 50s style custom and Hot Rod mods. Lol! I still have them all in a few boxes.

4. Deuces

Deuces

The Testors glue in the red and white tubes are still around... I got a few here... :D

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Charcoal lighter fluid, cherry bombs, matches and a frog. Yea....... I remember it well.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Hiya, hiya, hiya..... Heyyo......

7. OldTC

OldTC

Testors glue in an orange and white tube??

Heck I remember having to puncture the end of the yellow tube with a straight-pin to open it!

I'm pretty sure my first car model was an all yellow coupe of some kind by Lindberg.
    There was no chrome and no rubber, hell he tires were even yellow plastic...in two halves!

8. Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

My first model was an AMT 3n1 58 T Bird and it was all over with.I still have most of my 37 yr old sons models and match boxs in a case in my car room.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! Orange and white....... Doh!

10. 46stude

46stude

My first model car was in about '80 or so- the 1/32 scale Snap Tite '55 Chevy from Monogram molded in baby blue.

My first "real" glue together kit was in about '84. That was Revells '60 Corvette with the multi peice body in 1/25. Prolly not the best kit for a 1st time glue slinger, but hey- I was 10.

'55 is long gone, but I still have the Corvette after near 3 decades. I just bought another in the original box to restore mine with.

Attached Files:

• org3.jpg
      org3.jpg
      File size:
      144.7 KB
      Views:
    • org1.jpg
      org1.jpg
      File size:
      227.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Revell is coming out with a brand new '62 Fuelie 2n'1 kit after the new year....
    Can't wait!!.... :D

12. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

Ditto on the BB gun but a friend and I used it on model ships in the neighbors pond. gotta be about 6 or 8 down on the bottom:rolleyes: damn destructive kids!!!

13. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

My first AMT kit was a 58 Bonneville Pontiac HT. I purchased it along with two little bottles of Black Testers paint. This was the winter of 58 or 59 and I used some of my money I got from shoveling snow from sidewalks and driveways. I was around 11 at the time and I have been messing with cars ever since. I bought my first Hot Rod magazine around that time also. A Red full fender 32 Ford Roadster was on the cover and green pages on the inside in the center. Life was good.

14. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

stone woods and cook

15. jaysix

jaysix

My first one was the Firefighter Mustang II kit probably 22 years ago or so.

16. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

one like this. pretty sure my brother got a green one but i don't remember the name of that. what i do remember is that the decals to the green one just absolutely disintegrated so my mom wrote a letter to the company. after a couple of weeks, we got new decals in the mail.

[​IMG]

17. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

It had to be around 1966 and I had $4 to buy my model. TG&Y and the cars were 2-3 bucks each. Well there were these 2 that were a buck each, I got them both. A 65 Mustang convertible and a 62 Impala.

I was working on them and it wasn't going too well. Being 6 and impatient didn't help. Then my oldest brother came in and saw right away I had screwed up. These models had the sides you had to glue on, and well they just looked like crap.

He told me to only buy one piece bodies, spend more money.

There it is, that's been the motto ever since

18. OldTC

OldTC

Yellow tubes. :D Ten cents a tube, no cap, open with a pin. When the pin finally penetrated that lead,......friggin glue went all over the place for a second.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  19. OldTC

OldTC

TG&Y!! Wow the money I spent in there on paint and models!

I still have the first model my wife built in Junior High! A 1954 Chevy Sedan Delivery!

20. trimph1

trimph1

It might have been a Lindberg now that I think of it...Thanks for the memory aide!!:)

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have one of those, mint, unbuilt, in the original box, with decals...:p:D

22. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I hadn't built any models for several years and was trying to get back into it, but I was almost out of glue, so I bought a couple tubes of the tried and true Testors in the orange and white tube... but it seems a lot less effective then the 12 year old tube I have, and the new tubes all went solid after a couple of months, even the unopened ones...did they change the formula or something?

So I think the next one I build will be the re-release of the Revel 59 Ford Retractable

[​IMG]

But I own a real 2 door Ranch Wagon 59, does anyone know of any resin or other aftermarket bodies to make this into a wagon or 2 door wagon?

23. mine was a big 1;16 scale 62 corvette that i got for christmas i remmeber you could build it three differnt ways i think i went for the street version with the drag racing supercharged engine. would have been about 7ish still have it some where at the olds will have to dig it out and get a photo when im home for xmas

24. Deuces

Deuces

That probably came out before my time... I didn't get into models till '71... Guess I was a late bloomer.. :rolleyes:

25. Deuces

Deuces

Ok. Talk to me George... Let's make a deal! ;)

26. Deuces

Deuces

I'll talk to my buddy about those aftermarket resin bodies... I think he knows who sells those... ;)
    As for those tubes of glue, I think they were exposed to heat or something... Gotta keep those capped when not in use..

27. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Don't know if I already posted a response, but mine was an AMT Trophy Series '58 Impala that my sister (!) actually helped me build. It set the hook and, a couple thousand kits (and about 45 years) later, I'm still building and collecting!

28. staleg

staleg

The AMT 1/16 scale '55 Chevrolet 2 door hardtop.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If I were to sell it, it wouldnt be cheap...;)

30. I remember when I got my first model car I was 7 yrs old. 1964 . The local Ford dealership gave away a Mustang model car if you came in and test drove the new Mustang. My dad, mom ,sister and me went to test drive one. When we got back from our test drive, the salesman informed me they were out of the Mustangs and gave me a Model T 3 in 1 instaed.

We didn't get a new Mustang either.

I put 200 model cars in the attic when I left home in the mid 70's. I recovered them in the early 00's the heat from the summers did them in. Wasn't able to salvage any of them. I was able to salvage most of the HO scale race track and cars. Some of the track was warped. The tires are hard as hell and really spin. Going to have to get some new ones that are softer so I can make around the track a little quicker.