Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tuck and Roll Upholstery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Papa Dave, Oct 28, 2010.

1. cruzr

cruzr

true..........each "roll" is stuffed by hand....ive seen it done

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The word in the 60's was that if you took your car south of the border for upholstery work you stayed in the shop with the car while they worked on it and didn't go hang out in the bars. I'd think that still holds true. There is a good chance that if one had the work done locally where I live that the guy who did the work would be sending a portion of his check home to Mexico anyhow so taking the car down there would just cut Western Union out of their cut.

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Nope. I am a white guy from Australia and have completed 6 cars there including my own and NEVER been hassled , shot at, abducted, mugged, arrested,not even cursed at.... But got some high quality tuck n roll that is as good if not better then the states. And some fine ass strippers to. But hey you wanna spend 5,000$ who am I to tell anyone any different

4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Yeah it was unicorn shit packed in the seats by Bigfoot using the skin of the loch ness monster for material,all sewn up and installed by the chupacabra... Fuck anymore dumb ass tales spun by scared little people

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Your as full of shit as your story is !

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Dont forget the dead leprechauns sewed into the seats!

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I wish I lived in California yet so I could head down to TJ and get a car done. I would do it for the adventure and to be able to tell that story. My understanding is that if you pick your place to go, tell them you will tip them above the quoted price for a good job, and watch what they are doing, you can get a very decent job.

How they get it done in a day is beyond me. It took the upholsterer up here almost a week to do the interior in my 27 roadster.:confused: A while back we looked at a 54 Olds a guy was selling and it had an interior a Mexican guy had done and it was really nice. They seem to be very good at this craft.

Don

8. Went down to TJ with Hombres earlier this year. Great time. Took down busted seat frames for my shoebox and came back with completely rebuild seats for $600. would have been cheaper, but they completely rebuilt my seats. been driving the car about 200 miles a week since they were installed, been rained in a couple time, and they still have no issues with quality!

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ the power of unicorn crap.
    if it was horse shit it would have melted after the 1st 100 miles.

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

tito's, on san gabriel and hellman. just south of the #10. he's been there 35 or 40 yrs. check him out.there's another place on valley just east of rosemead 2 or 3 blks. south side of street. i've used them both over the years.

11. i have a guy in mass.. to far for most of you i guess

12. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Every one here could cut Luan door patterns for upholstery. Pull the old seat covers for remake. Ship them to the cheap work and materiels. Seems there should be some smart Hamb'er who could be a go-between in the Mexican shops and US END USERS. No Habla espanola here. (yeah, them young senoritas are fine, but add a few years and a few kids)

I bought a consew walking foot machine.. never learned how to "really" use it.. the guys who can run them make a mockery of us who can't. I put this HUGE pulley on the machine to slow it down so I would quit ruining materiel.. (more laughter from the real upholstery people)

I did sew some really cool buffing wheels with it and a radius attachment.. saved almost two dollars for a whole lot of crap.

My end thought, designing, layout, sewing upholstery is a art form, like painting.. I can load a spray gun and squirt it out.. but... Not like someone who has the "touch".

13. 1950shu

1950shu
    from california

Me...........................

14. fatluckys

fatluckys

I'll be up and running in my new shop in Glendale soon, Definitely not cheap, but great quality and a fair price considering how much time and effort I put into my work.