Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camshaft assembly lube?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CayoRV, Dec 12, 2011.

1. CayoRV

CayoRV

OK engine builders out there, time to let your opinions be heard.
    What is your preferred assembly lube for a new cam and lifters? Seems to be alot of snake oil on the market now, I'm sure that some is good but which ones or do you have a tried and true favorite concoction thats never let you down?
    Thanks up front for your input.

Chuck

2. Ole don

Ole don

Isky Rev Lube, Comp cams has a good one, and I have seen my loacl machine shop use some really sticky red stuff. For the rest of the engine I like 50/50 STP and 30 wt oil. Its really important to use the correct motor oil on start up, and later.

3. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Isky and G.M. EOS in the oil

4. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

The brand of cam manuf's lube, 50/50 EOS and 15W40 for assembly.

5. Deuces

Deuces

20W-50 for roller cams...

6. I have just been searching all over on this same subject. Regardless of the forum, everyone and I mean everyone suggests Isky's Rev Lube. It is what I will use when I put a new cam in my SBF.

7. Ed's been making cam's for a while now :D

I'm guessing his product does what it says :cool:

8. Yeah... I had used some of the other cam manufacturers lube in the past and they didn't seem viscous enough. Since I am putting my engine together well before I will be able to run it so I wanted something more akin to paste.

I have a tendency to do allot of research before making a purchase. :D

9. shocker998md

shocker998md

i used iskys stuff, then zddp and gasp, wally world oil. 18K and no problems.

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Clevite assembly lube

11. hot rod rod

hot rod rod

NOTICE..Just finished dinner..ISKY "Says...Call the shop & Ask for Rod, will send it out right away the Cam Lube"...Call 323.770.0930

12. 41woodie

41woodie

Comp Cams lube, Brad Penn Break-in oil. Fired it up, ran it up for about thirty minutes, changed the oil and filter for a fresh batch of Brad Penn Break-in. Ran it for 1000 miles and now running regular Brad Penn that has old time levels of zinc. No problems

13. CayoRV

CayoRV

I've used the Isky on most of the engines I've built so I guess why change now. I was just wondering if any of the more recent entries into the market were gaining any ground on the old standards. I know a couple of guys who suggested Redline, Royal Purple and Lucas oil stabilizer. I have used the Lucas on a number of builds and while it worked very well, I didn't use it on the cam lobes or lifters.
    Anyways, thanks for the comments.

Chuck