Register now to get rid of these ads!

need some advice on a possible buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pinkynoegg, Dec 12, 2011.

1. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Alright I don't know if this is allowed so if it isn't please remove and let me know. I'm looking for a tow vehicle to pull my 24 foot enclosed bumper pull. It is currently killing my little 1/2 ton chevy. I am looking for an old classic with a modern drive train and ran across this truck. It has a 3.9 liter cummins with a turbo 400 behind it. the body is a 1941 chevy sitting on a 90's 2 ton frame. what do y'all think about it? pros/cons? maybe a reasonable price you can see from the pics. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I dig it even though I have no clue what it's worth.

3. I would imagine that the 3.9 is only rated about 110-120 HP.
    Compare that with your 1/2 ton.

Personally, I like the truck. If I were towing with it I would step up the the 5.9 and 5 speed. Then, possibly the rearend would be the weakest link.

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

motor is way to small for towing, if you really like the truck you could probably drop a 8.3 cummins in it or a 7.3 ford with a allison trans possibly with 2 speed rearend.

5. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I like the truck,but i dont think it would have enough pulling power for what you want to do...

6. anteek

anteek

X2 on the 3.9, too small a truck with a 5.9 cummins would be perfect. Maybe a rebodied Dodge??????

7. The 3.9 is the 4 cyl turbo diesel and only makes about 130 HP, but it does make 355 Ft Lbs of torque. Should pull OK, just not quickly

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I like the looks of the truck , but is it what you really need to do your job. My $.02.........NO (spending alot & putting more in it ????)
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

9. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

I'm sorry but I look at the pictures and think CUTE ? ? ? truck ?

My added 0.02 says first look at how much you plan to tow (add extra supplies, fuel, gray water, etc) then think -

A) What do I need to stop this thing I'm pulling ? (total up the weight of what your pulling and then pick out the truck to pull it with, after adding a safety cushion of 2000 to 2,500 pounds).
    B) What will be the easiest to drive (auto or standard, extra cab, quad cab) ?
    C) How easy will it be for me to get parts ?
    D) If I'm in a pinch, can the wife or girlfriend drive it safely ?
    E) What will it cost me to maintain (annually, over it's lifetime) ?
    F) What can I afford (first purchase, maintain and taxes) ?

Then start your journey to Truckdom peacefully knowing you have all the facts to guide your decision.
    Rick

10. Love the truck. Is the deal good enough to cover the cost of a Duramax/Allison swap? Then you could pull tree stumps.

11. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Load your trailer and take it for a spin and see how it pulls.

12. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

yeah the reason I like it is because I don't want to wear my little 5.3 out so fast. Trying to stay with an older vehicle because they keep value over time (newer vehicles depreciate everyday). The little turbo 3.9 does have more torque than my 5.3l. Would prefer the standard but the auto makes long drives easy. In the end I think comfort will be given up for a cool looking tow vehicle

13. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

That's a good idea. I will do this for sure!

14. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

You would be surprised what that little "3.9L" cummins can do.

It will outpull any 350 hands down......

The turbo 400 kills you a bit though as its non OD for MPG......

With a simple turbo upgrade, some adjustments with a straight blade screwdriver, and a set of injectors you can make that 3.9L 4 cylinder give a 454 a run for its money and spank it up and down the street with MPG to boot.

I've seen a couple 3.9L 4BT Cummins towing rigs rocking around 190 HP and around 450 ft lbs of torque... reliably........ with that magic 20+ mpg running empty....13-17 running heavy n' loaded.

That same rig... (chassis and all) is what I have with a 47 ford body on it..but I opted for the big brother 6 cylinder that came with 475 ft lbs out of the box and with my simple turbo and intercooler upgrade will be around 600 ft lbs of torque..... on a half million mile block....

Few can be said for any 454, 300 i6, or sbc 350.....

Bring the trailer and hook it up... I think you'll be surprised..... (make sure you [if possible] hook up a half ton truck to same trailer.... to notice the difference)

15. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Awesome! this is what i was thinking but I don't know much about the diesels. It does have a turbo already on it. I will be towing the trailer on my 1/2 ton to see it. Thanks for the input!

16. apache matt

apache matt

47FORD is right about the 3.9 cummins. its a very durable motor and its very easy to mod. and if you get tired of it you can always swap in a 5.9 12valve cummins. the only major difference between the 3.9 and the 5.9 is the two missing cylinders

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

please pay particular attention to the brakes, electrical system and heating/cooling.

also, what size tires and can you get economical replacements?

18. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

good thoughts! will keep this in mind. anyone have an idea as to a good price i might be looking at?

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Follow Bobwop's advice and check the tire size and then find price and availability for that size tire. Obsolete tire sizes on a truck can kill you $$ wise if you have to replace them.

There is a dedicated 4bt forum http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php I'd do some reading there. You might even see a thread on that truck before you are done.
    That truck is nice looking but I think I'd rather find a low milage Dodge diesel dualie that was several years old and maybe even a square bodied one that had only pulled a travel trailer. I followed one of those pulling a fifth wheel horse trailer with four horses in it up a grade to a rodeo a few years ago and it was all my Cad Deville with a good running 350R out of a Seville in it could do to keep up.

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That thing Rocks !! and would be a killer tow vehicle...
    However, bobwop is right on with his comments, and the things he mentions can get expensive.....
    Good luck, and let us know what you do.
    Cheers........

21. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Thanks for the link. I will be checking it out for info