Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know what this air cleaner is?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Dec 11, 2011.

1. I saw this air cleaner on the web the other day. Anyone know what it is or where I can find one?

Merry Christmas!

-Ron

Attached Files:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Almost looks like the one on my 170 falcon engine, but mine has 1 snorkel.

3. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Really looks mid 60's Chevy to me, but I don't recall ever seeing one with two of those snorkels on it.:confused: May be a home brew.

4. Abomb

Abomb

Don't quote me, but I think MOPAR had some dual snorkle cleaners. Probably highly sought after there fore expensive ???? Find 2 single snorkle aircleaners that fit your ride, subtract a snorkle from one and add it to the other....done.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

A friend of mine has a duel snorkel air cleaner I believe from a ss nova. Its been so long since Ive seen it I couldnt tell you if thats the one.

6. ssimpala

ssimpala

Looks like the one on my old '66 L79 Chevy II.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I'm guessing it's a single snorkel Mopar 318 top, with another snorkel added. Or one of the mid 60s non-chevy GM units.

8. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I should correct myself. I have seen dual snorkel Chevy air cleaners, just not with two of those big, round snorkels or in that configuratin. I would go with what Abomb said^^^.

9. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

That was my first thought, but those had flatter snorkels that stuck straight out from each side.

10. ssimpala

ssimpala

I think you're right...been a long time since I owned that car.

11. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

looks very similar to the air cleaner off of a 1966 mustang with the 200 in it. someone probably put two together to get the double inlet

12. I'm pretty sure it's Mopar. It's been a long time ago but my buddy had a mid-60s Polara that had an air cleaner like that...I think.

13. It's weird, the body says GM to me but the snorkels look like Fords. Mopars are very similar on the body but they don't have the six ridges in the center. Mid 60's Caddy's are very close but they have the GM style flattened snorkels. Wondering if there is an "off "brand it came from?

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you mean someone might have modified something? how could they?

15. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

L-79 had oval snorkles.

I believe that unit is off of a 64-65 Buick 300 4V or as it is better known, a Wildcat 310

16. Diabolical liberty! If they did mod it up, they did a really nice job of it.:cool:

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I quoted moneymaker and put it in bing and this came up...

[​IMG]

18. The body is definitely GM. It looks just like an Impala air cleaner I just found on ebay...

19. Deuces

Deuces

Almost!!!.... The snorkles on the L-79 air cleaner stick out 180 degrees from each other....
    Still looks cool though...

20. looks like an Olds Toronado, but I've been wrong before.....:D

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

gm used those aircleaners in the early to mid sixties on their hipo cars such as Impala SS. I can't believe that people are forgetting about stuff like this.

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It's a Chrysler product from the late '60s.

23. Guys, that is a mid-'60s GM air cleaner. The MoPar air cleaners are more "squared" off at the top, wheras the GM units are more rounded, like the one pictured. I've got over a dozen of the 1964 - 1968 Mopar air cleaners in my shop, and none look like the one pictured. I'd be happy to post a few.

The MoPar units do NOT have the ribbing in the center part of the cover. The MoPars are smooth here, and is where the "pie plate" goes for the engine callout.

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Looks a little like the one I had on my '59 Plymouth Suburban with a 361 Golden Commando.
    BUT, patrick66 may be correct about the "smooth" center portion. Been awhile since I've had the car.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think some sort of Olds. Chevy used oval snorkels.

26. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Look on www.cars-on-line.com if I'm not mistaken they have a write up on that car and it tells of everything that went into it including that air cleaner.
    I can see the dealers picture but can't remember the name.

27. Master of None

Master of None

It sure looks like a 60's Pontiac with a second snorkel added to me anyways??

28. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

IIRC that sure looks like the air cleaner that was on a buddys 62 409 SS.....

29. oldolds

oldolds

Looks like Olds, Prob. from a tri-power. Late 50;s early 60's. It is different than the 442 ram air of the mid-60's that had dual snorkels.