Register now to get rid of these ads!

carb tuning with wideband

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shocker998md, Dec 12, 2011.

1. shocker998md

shocker998md

Alright guys I know that tuning with a wideband isnt traditional. But I figure that I should really be able to dial in my stuff with one.

Im looking at getting one of the innovate LM-2 portable tuners so that I can go from car to car and just have to have a bung in each one. Does anyone here use one of these?

I would like to be able to tune my DD's to get the best economy I can since I drive them a bunch. Then I should also be able to dial in my motorcycle with it as well.

Thanks for any input guys.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Nope, but just now I was thinking about doing it....interesting....

3. SpeedJunkee

SpeedJunkee
    Alliance Vendor

I have used the LM-1 before, they work great. Plan on buying a new LM-2 soon.

4. shocker998md

shocker998md

I figure it should get me dead nuts on tuning, and I could tune my truck, falcon, and harley right now.

Im googling stuff right now, but its like everything out there, one guy says its the best thing since sliced bread and then another will say it sucked.

5. SpeedJunkee

SpeedJunkee
    Alliance Vendor

The ones that say it sucks, does not understand how to use it or won't take the time to learn.

Truck64 likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^times two, Really good way to go. Especially if you have a sniffer test...

7. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I got the summit brand (made by innovate) LM-1 (I think it is). Any how its F#%in awesome. You will learn how your motor consumes fuel. I started to really understand carb tunning and now its an easy concept to understand. Having enough jets and power valves on hand all different sizes is the hard part :)

I wish I got the hand held one so I could take it from car to car. The pain in the ass about the whole thing was wiring the guage in the car. It has a bunch of tiny wires and it was kind of hard to attach them where they needed to go. Also DO NOT drive around with the O2 bung cap in without some kind of silicone or something, it will find a way to lock self in there so good that you have to drill it out and re tap it, and the tap aint cheap.

Truck64 likes this.
  8. shocker998md

shocker998md

I dont have emmissions on my old stuff for tags. I just want my stuff to run spot on and see if I can lean it out on the highway to get some better MPGS.

Im looking at the LM-2, its decently priced. The only thing that im seeing so far is for using it on newer stuff to read OBD-2 codes theres alot of problems with it. It wont affect me for the old stuff, but if im paying for something that should read codes id like it to work incase I need to use it on newer stuff.

Im going to start looking at the NGK setup, and I think FAST has something too.

9. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

10. shocker998md

shocker998md

ive been searching around on the innovates forum for the lm-2 and there seems to be alot of problems with them.

Anyone here have a hands on with a different brand that is a portable tuner?

11. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

After reading Jimmy2cars post, and the link, I may try to build my own meter. A single wire o2 sensor is pretty cheap. An inexpensive multi meter with the leads lengthened would go in the cab. Duct tape it to the windshield, along with the vacuum guage. The hardest part would be finding and installing the bung for the exhaust pipe.

12. squirrel

squirrel

A single wire O2 sensor won't tell you as much as a wideband...

You can get other doodads to help you see the AFR, go to summitracing.com and search "wideband"

13. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

The hardest part would be finding and installing the bung for the exhaust pipe.[/QUOTE]

"Spark plug anti fouler" off the "help" rack at a parts store, about $4 plus any tax for a package of 2. Will have to drill out the end to 1/2" or so and weld it into the pipe, 9 through the 3 o'clock position is best for O2 longevity if you leave it in. Use an old spark plug to fill the hole if you don't. About the quickest and cheapest solution I've found yet.

Ed

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  14. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

We tune all 3 of our race cars with one.
    Should have done it years ago.
    For multiple car usage applications we advise and sell the "crack pipe" rather than welding in a o2 bung in each car.

See crack pipe below

[​IMG]

15. chop32

chop32

Ive got an Innovate LM-2 and love it. We used it to tune the 350 in my '57 Chevy (tunnel ram, 232/242 @.050 cam) and got 16.5 mpg on a trip to Reno. Beats the 12 mpg it got before the tuning!

Truck64 likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

I stuck an LC-1 on my 55, interesting to see the numbers flashing on the laptop as I drive.

Time to do some carb work

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Widebands are great! Just don't put silicone on the threads, you'll contaminate the sensor. Don't use silicone on the exhaust anywhere upstream for that matter.