Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 chevelle powerglide to t50 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nolando, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Nolando

Nolando

Hey guys,

i'm almost complete with my t50 swap in my '65 Chevelle. I got extremely tired of the stupid powerglide on the freeway and yelling "SHIFT, DAMNIT! SHIFT!" while doing 70. So I found a t50 for $250 and went and picked it up. I'm putting it behind a mildly built 230 L6. The entire thing bolted up smoothly, except for the crossmember having to be modified. Of course, the linkage had to be set up, too.

My question to all of you i what recommendations would you have for me as far as specs on this trans. i am unable to find any information on it. All i know is it came out of something from 1996. The other oddity is that reverse is where 1st should be, while first is down and left. Not sure if that was something on all t50s or if it was from a european car. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

2. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Are you shure it is a t-50 and not a T-5 ? I have a T-50 in the garage and it came out of a 70's Buick Skyhawk. I know they used them in the old Chevy Monzas also. I think first gear is around 3.4 and the overdrive is .80. They are not real strong , so I was told, but it should be good for what you are doing. I don't believe they still used them in the 90's but I could be wrong. If you want I can check where reverse is on mine as the shifter is still on it.

3. Nolando

Nolando

that would be great, but i am almost positive it is a t50. It has 1996 engraved on it by someone after it was made, so I'm not too sure about that. It just seems far too new to be from the 70s

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Help me out, you are positive it is a t50 but you are also sure it is not?

Look for your trans here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171291

5. Nolando

Nolando

im positive its a t50, not sure if it came out of a european car or not.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

T-50s were used in 4 cylinder and V6 powered Buick Skyhawks, Chevy Monzas and Vegas, Olds Starfires and Pontiac Sunbirds. The only V8 powered car I've ever seen one in (from the factory) was a '77 Olds 4-4-2 with a 260. They're not intended to be used behind anything with much torque so, even behind your 230, don't beat it or you'll be walking home.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

The t 50 is supposed to have a different shift pattern than a t5. if first is left and back, reverse is left and forward, then you have a t50. but from 1996? i doubt it. the regular nwc t5 didn't last that long, they all went to a Ford pattern by then.

8. The T50 has first down and back to the left - below reverse, 2nd through 5th are in the standard H. They were only made for 4 years 76 through 79 in the H body cars. Limited to about 200 ft lbs of torque and parts are getting hard to find.

The Toyota T50 is NOT the same trans.

9. Nolando

Nolando

alright thanks guys. i got the conversion done and it went a lot smoother than I expected. I have no idea what the 1996 that was inscribed on it meant, but i guess it doesnt matter now. Thanks for all your help