Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plug N' Plate Nickel Plating Kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chadman, Dec 11, 2011.

1. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

has anyone tried this or is there anyone who has done nickle plating? if so how does it turn out?? or should I just have a pro do it if I want a nice finish?? this is a pic of the kit listed, kinda cheezy looking, if this is a p o s, does anyone know or suggest a good nickle plate outfit?

Attached Files:

2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I have used the Eastwoods electroplating kit for bolts and brackets and such....

I like it, for small stuff it works as it should.

3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I tried eastwoods. I hated the nickel kit. I polished the snot out of some hardware, and it just looked dull and silvery. Their copper kit was better. nickel plating is cheap at the chrome shop I use, and it's more durable than plug and plate stuff ever will be.

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

look up caswell plating,i havent tried it yet but there are lots of choices

5. rdrunner1974

rdrunner1974
    from Vermont

6. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

The kit in the pic is tiny and cheap looking. It shouldn't be any more than $50, and it's capabilities begin and end with small fasteners.

7. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

If the parts went in with a high luster finish and came out with a dull silvery appearance then there are 2 likely reasons.
    1: Maintenance adds were not correct. W/O the additives the nickel will be dull even with a high polished part.
    2: Current too high for small parts. High current will result in dull finishes as well as pitting in some cases.

To answer the original post:
    Kits to electroplate are fun and a great learning experience. I certainly wouldn't expect the results you receive from notable shops.
    You must remember that baths are constantly monitered for PH, Metals, additives, contaminents, temperature, connection, ect.
    If its just to experiment it would be best to start with a cheap kit. Use it on some nuts a bolts or other fastners. Make sure they are CLEAN. no rust, finger prints, or otherwise as this can and most likely will cause failure.
    The particular kit you show in the picture isn't variable meaning you cannot adjust the voltage according to the size of the part being plated. This will be a major limitation.
    Best of luck!

8. cederholm

cederholm

I had ChromePlaterJosh nickel plate an oil canister top for me, it came out stunning! I can't imagine that kind of result from a DIY kit. ...even if you knew what you were doing (which I don't)

~ Carl

9. Don't know if this will help or not but I bought a book awhile back by Brick Price(the guy who does a lot of the modelling for movies)and in one of the chapters he tells how to build your own nickel plating device. I took pictures of the pages(they're pretty readable) as well as the cover of the book should anyone want to buy it(if they can find it). the ISBN# is:0-8019-6862-3 published by Chilton Book Company in 1981.

Attached Files:

10. Willy301

Willy301

I use Advanced Custom Chrome in Erie, Pa. But have heard about decent results from kits. I do not know if this kit is similar to those I have heard of. Good Luck either way!

11. blueboy

blueboy
    from Texas

Caswell is the best Great people and great stuff you will be impressed not cheap like eastwood