Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need 49 Ford Seat help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fms427, Dec 7, 2011.

1. fms427

fms427

Trying to diagnose why the seat in my shoebox convertible is uncomfortable and doesn't fit in the car very well......I have found small threaded spacers brazed to the seat stop area holding the seat back more vertical. I don't think they were born there :D - if I remember correctly there is a bumper either on the seat back or frame instead - but I can't find any good pictires of the area, or find anyone selling seat stop bumpers for a 49 Ford. Can someone look at their shoebox seat and let me know what is in that area A picture would also be apreciated. Thanks in advance !!

Attached Files:

2. fms427

fms427

3. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I can take a picture for you but in my 50 they look just like yours but without the square block welded on. There isn't a rubber piece only a screw and a piece of aluminum under the screw. Hope that helps.

4. fms427

fms427

Thanks, Mr Dickies - a picture would help me. Is the aluminum on the frame or the seat back, and about how thick is it. A previous owner may have replaced the stop with the aluminum ??

5. fms427

fms427

Anybody else??

6. fms427

fms427

Where are all the shoebox owners ? I know you're out there.....:D

7. 204carcrazy

204carcrazy

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Check Dennis Carpenter's parts store in Charlotte NC. If it is rubber and for a Ford 32-70something he will be making it, especially the 32-53 stuff.

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'll try to get over & check out what my '49 seat looks like . IIRC there's some kinda adjuster (i.e. bolt) on the seat down there to adjust the back angle .

10. fms427

fms427

Up again for the week-day crowd.....

11. tedster

tedster

Did you try shoeboxford.com

12. fms427

fms427

Yep - I did try shoeboxford.com, and looked in Carpenters catalog - no help. One thing shoeboxford.com showed me is there are a lot of people wondering the same thing.............:D . And a lot of cars are "fixed" in various ways like my car.......:eek: Have not yet found the "production" design.

13. tedster

tedster

I can tell you how my 50 is. There is a bolt threaded into the bottom of the seat back and an aluminum piece on the seat cushion for the head of the bolt to rest on. Adjust bolt in or out to change angle of seat back. Sorry I can not give picture but car is at a friends.

14. fms427

fms427

Thanks,Tedster. Chris at Shoeboxford just told me 49 was different from 50 and 51, which explains a lot. Maybe it was a problem........Appears design was just like mine without the block. Most 49's I've seen had something welded to the "pipe", which indicates it may sag with time. I guess I'll innovate - probably add a threaded stop like yours. :)

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry I haven't replied sooner , but I forgot :eek: .

I got over & looked on my seat , and on my '49 seat , there is NO adjuster ... just like yours . On my friend's '50 Shoe that we're working on , just like Tedley explained (and I said above) , there's a bolt sticking out the seat bottom that you adjust to get the the right angle (or as best as it gets ;) ) . You can bet yer butt , when I have my seat apart to re-cover it , I'll be adding an adjuster to it . It isn't that tough to do .

16. fms427

fms427

Thanks for all your input, guys. I'm all set now - got the straight skinny from Chris at shoeboxfords.com. 49 were indeed different from 50 and 51, and included no adjuster. The welded on spacers on mine were not production. I removed them and - MUCH BETTER !! I did find other 49's with some sort of spacer on the stop "pipe", so a lot of owners must have thought the 49 seat back angle was too great ( I rather like it....), or there was a lot of sag to the "pipe" My seat frame was broken, which may have been the reason for the spacers. Whatever - spacers removed - now happy :):)

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo