Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead mopar - aluminum head - gasket to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plymouth1951, Oct 23, 2011.

1. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Hi all, I am building a mild flathead 230 Plymouth engine and using an edmunds aluminum head for first time. My question is what options are there in head baskets? Which would be best for use w aluminum head and why?? I am wondering if the the different expansion ratios of the iron block and the alum head pose any problems or concerns that affect the type of head gasket I use..
    Engine will be .080 over pistons, with edmunds intake and dual stock carter 1 barrels, mild cam grind, fenton repop dual headers. Valves will be stainless small block Chevy. Compression ratio guesstimate is 8:1 but hopfully higher.

Head gaskets available to my knowledge. Pros cons?
    1. Copper (2 sided copper w composite inner layer)
    2. Thin steel (not confirmed if these exist)
    3. Modern felpro blue composite.( not confirmed if these exist)
    4. Others avail?

Seems to me that the copper are mainly avaiable today. Though I need to check for a felpro type gasket availability. Thin steel I once saw in a vintage 50s speed catalog but have not seen since.

So what's the best for the application and why and where can I get one from?
    Or am I overthinking this head gasket issue and should just use the copper gasket that came in my engine gasket kit from Best Gaskets? Any experienced rodder thoughts will be appreciated, Thx Mike

2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

3. hkestes

hkestes

4. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Hey Thx so much for the input. I can't wait to get new engine in my car with new overdrive!

5. hemimerc

hemimerc

Hi, i used the copper one on my 230 with a sharp aluminum head from andy bernbaum been running it now for about a year with no problems.

6. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

HI ALL, ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS OR EXPERIENCES WITH HEAD GASKETS WITH A CAST IRON BLOCK AND ALUMINIUM HEAD APPLICATIONS? THX FOR ANY OTHER INPUT?

Happy holidays! Mike

7. I bought an EDGY head from Earl last year and when I asked what he recommended he said he used the FELPRO ones. That is what I subsequently put in. Frustratingly I'm still not on the road but I regularly run the engine up and all seems sweet!

I certainly enjoy listening to it with that head, two 94's on an EDGY intake running through cast Langdon headers, 2" pipes and a pair of Smithy's......:)

8. swissmike

swissmike

I would use the composite gaskets, such as Best Gasket. Make sure to install them according to Mfg. instructions. Some have to be installed dry.
    I would not use copper gaskets with aluminum heads due to corrosion concerns and better sealing of the composite gaskets.