Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show your racks or storage of a fully disassembled car parts.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodhomework, Dec 11, 2011.

1. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

What do you do to store finders,door,hoods,seats,and everything else when you are working on the body.I did a search, nothing on this.I tried to get people to understand a fully assembled car will fit in 16x24 spot but you take it apart it wont.It will almost fit a 32x24 but you got to have room to work on it and keep the parts from getting more dents and misplaced. What I want is how you solve this storage problem?Build racks,shelves or outside storage building.Photos of this storage would be great.The parts are taking over inch by inch.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

This should be a great post!

3. Rick S

Rick S

I built this wooden cart with wheels to store all the parts that were just in my way while I worked on the frame and cab of my '52 pickup. It held the entire front clip, and complete bed with the fenders inside.

Attached Files:

• 29.JPG
      29.JPG
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
  4. one37tudor

one37tudor

I have a large space behind my shop the is out of view from any neighbors so what I do it to purchase on of the enclosed poly-tarp structures that you can get almost anywhere.

I usually get one about 10' X 20' and store most of the take off parts in there. I usually pick one of these units on sale fore about $200.00 and they normally last here about three years but if the top some how gets damaged I just pick up a 20X20 tarp and cover over the top.

Most of the time I spring for plywood floor also but not always and if I need more room I have space for a second one.

Scott...

5. My brother had these and wasn't giong to use them.This was when I was putting them up, they are almost full now.

6. haha, yeah. a car takes up ALOT more space when you take it apart.
    i built a storage "loft" above the rafters in my garage, it works great. i have hoods, fenders, rims, ect, stored away so i actually have room to work in my two car garage.

7. titus

titus

lots o pallet racking, i bought some smaller stuff at sams club, thats in side the garage, actually pretty good stuff.

then the shed is a bunch of pallet racking i got for free from some buddies.

works good.

jeff

Attached Files:

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't want to see my system. It's called an attic and I would never want to show it to anyone. :)

9. Deuces

Deuces

Why????........

10. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Short on time to get stuff done.Need to get it done quickly and stop spending time moving parts around time and time again and less moving less chances of dents.That why.

11. gsport

gsport

i'm lucky enough to have two shops.. 45x60 and 28x43, stuffs laying all over the place

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  12. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Stuff laying all over the place drives me crazy.Hard to clean around.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Always remember to keep plenty of heavy duty zip-lock bags and Magic Markers handy with 4X5 notecards AND your digital camera to take before/after assembly/disassembly pictures and put all the fasteners and small stuff in the bags identified on the bag AND the card inside.
    It doesn't hurt to have a bunch of see-through plastic tubs with covers, Sterilite at WalMart for a few bucks apiece to put the small bags in and mark them before putting them on the shelf.

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have a Model A PU that is scattered to all points of my garage. Bed against on wall, cab in another corner. frames strapped to the back wall and all the other parts are in the garage attic.

15. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Boones you got some cool stuff.Your Dads stuff been on mag. covers?

16. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

My Shop is an old general store i converted over to a shop... I have alot of shoe racks i turned backwards and use from the backside which work great for holding parts... they dont roll off the shelf...

17. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I got fed up & started hanging stuff. You wouldn't believe how much of a car can fit inside of itself. I thought about making a "rack" but I know myself so it would become a catch all for even more junk.

Attached Files:

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Three sheds full of junk that probably would equal three vehicles if it was all sorted out. Way too big of a mess to show anyone.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Spare bed rooms!,when I was working on my 37 I had the fenders and running boards wrapped up in my spare bedroom. When I pulled the front clip the parts went back into the house to keep from getting banged up in the garage and much better then sitting outside.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I was thinking about something like that. I'm just nervous the one I want to hang wouldn't stand up on it's own and would end up falling down on one of the nicer cars.

21. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I have a 12 x 20 garage for storage and a 20 x 22 shop for working in. Fenders, running boards, etc all fit up in the rafters of the smaller garage.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Fenders and hoods and so on, I hang them on nails on the wall.Cams, a plastic milk crate with pvc tubes jammed in. I am going to build a crankshaft storage rack in my shed either this weekend or next, maybe I will post a pic of that when it is done.

23. fleet-master

fleet-master

hang some steel reinforcing mesh spaced out from the wall by some 2x4. Make a bunch of hooks from fencing wire and you can hang quite a lot of stuff off it and you can see where a particular part is right away when you need it.

24. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

I knew this picture would come in handy some time.

[​IMG]

25. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

I saw a thread titled, "Show your rack." Boy, am I disappointed...

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have a 20'x20" shed and easily ran out of room. What isn't hanging on the walls, panels, rear fenders, doors, are hanging on bed frames in the apex of the shed (Seats, hood). There are shelves full of boxes of parts etc, core support etc and more boxes under the stairs inside house and 2 x bedroom cupboards. Body is on stands and chassis is underneath in jig. Rotisserie and engine hoist in other side with front fenders (Too big to go anywhere else), engine and gearbox on stands behind body shell. There is also my compressor and workbench to work around. More stuff including tools on and under the bench.

27. striper

striper

No, no, no. This is a waste of time. You don't need to do that. You'll remember where stuff came from and how it goes back together. After all it's not going to be apart all that long. It'll be OK! :D

28. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I was given a few sets of pallett racking... but rather then place them end to end along the wall... I put them side by side... creating about 10ftx18ft of space... with one level at 7ft and one at 12ft...
    On top I put up 16ft x 3ft deep 6ft tall shelving to go all the way to the top of the roof.
    Initially I had roll around metal stairs.. but have since put up a nice set of oak stairs that lead to the loft area above the other half of the building, I got rid of them. (still need to build a small pull out extension to get to the 12ft racking level...I use a chair now!)
    All in all it seems to have worked out great as it doesn't really cut into the floor space aside from the one set of legs which are right in the middle of the building... and only 18.5ft out of the 50ft room...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    assembling the upper shelving
    [​IMG]
    New stairs gave room for the aircompressor and more storage underneath. while still leaving room to get a car in and out from under the pallett racking.
    [​IMG]
    Not the greatest photo but...looking in through the garage door, you can see they aren't very obtrusive
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  29. I have a set of old heavy duty wooden bunk beds in one of the sheds. I can slide flat parts, or small parts, under the lower bunk, I have the lower and upper bunks to store fenders, hoods, etc. and I can hang smaller items off the head and footboards.

30. RodStRace

RodStRace

Garage with pallet racking, bookcases for small bagged stuff, and a couple vans out back for big bulky stuff. I bought the vans for less than the cost of those cheap sheds. They are waterproof, lockable, have good doors and will provide a bunch of parts when the get parted and scrapped!