Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving to Colorado.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stainlesssteelrat, Dec 9, 2011.

1. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

well i'm moving to colorado and getting hitched...
    the thing is.. i wan't to know how the car scean is there.. you know?
    shows and cruise in's and such.. i'm moving from Ms. gulf coast and we have a show or a cruise in every damn weekend, but now i'm going to be in
    De beque co. .. so i haven a clue, any clubs in that area?

2. fatkoop

fatkoop

Where's De beque, Co.? Been in Colo. my whole life and never heard of that one.

Anyway, if it's within 75-100 miles of Denver Metro, there is a lot of activity. Cruise nights, car shows, clubs, swap meets and lots of little groups of guys just doin their own thing. Colorado Springs and Pueblo are great car towns. Clubs, activities and such. On the western slope, Grand Junction is the place. Southwest, try Durango or Alamosa for really good car people.

Coming form Mississippi, however, remember, we have seasons here (its more difficult to get your hot rod out to play in 2 feet of snow or -10 degree weather)

Anyway, welcome to God's country.

3. DeBeque is on I-70/US 6 between Rifle and Grand Junction, right on the Colorado River. Nice little town. Grand Junction, Montrose, and Glenwood Springs all have decent car scenes. I know quite a few car guys in the Delta area. The big Spring show in Moab is just two and a half hours from you.

Keep in mind, that part of the state is pretty 4x4-centric. You will find far more off-road guys there than hot rodders, but the area is great for all. You'll enjoy it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OH MAN if you are coming to Denver area there are tons of shows and cruses going on every weekend from early spring to late fall.Some of them you can catch 2 or 3 different ones in a weekend. We have the Goodguys ,Pueblo Rocky Mountain nats and Golden Super cruse,A must to see.If your into Kustoms a 6 hour drive from Denver is the KKOA Leadsled show in Salina Kansas. What ever kind of cars your into we have them.

5. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

aint no-thing up here in the froze northern end, but a bunch of grumpy old men!:D

6. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

We have to many people in this state so stay in mississippi!!!!! Just kidding, but you better like the snow and buy some snowmobiles. Great riding up on the flat tops. Hope you enjoy colorado!!!!!!

7. dtom001

dtom001
    from Colorado

You're out in my area, and our club in Glenwood Springs is the Valley Cruisers
    http://www.valleycruisers.org/
    There's an active scene through the summer starting in March or so when the snow melts and runnning through mid-October with the fall cruises. There's cruise-ins during the week and runs out to local events on the weekends, and a big cruise out to Moab for their show in April.

You may be closer to the Grand Junction scene which is more active through the winter because their weather is a little more temperate than ours up in the mountains. There's a couple great car shops in the downtown area, as well as few solid pick-a-part yards that I envy.

Cheers, Tom Campbell

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Bring some heavy clothes...and gloves and boots...and anti-freeze for your cars. DeBeque gets snowed on...and it usually gets below 32 degrees October to April...ain't NOTHING like Mississippi...

You sure you want to move here and get married...wow...a true glutton for punishment...I'd give you eight months before you talk her into moving back to Mississippi...!!!

R-

9. When you move to De beque don't blink or you will miss it. It is a small town with 500 4x4s and some beautiful scenery. Welcome to Colorado.

Lee

10. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

I dont have a clue how you decided on De beque, but welcome to the Western Slope. Grand Junction is 30 mins away and they have a drag strip, and some shows. Moab has a great show right after easter. I am in Rifle about 20 mins away and it was 1 deg Tuesday morning so bring some warm clothes. Not much to do for the next 5 months except build, so that you can enjoy the summer.
    Brian

11. troylee

troylee

I hope you like snow and hills. Im out in that area one a yea,r in the fall. fly fishing. Its a great place. I would like to move to the grand juction area myself. The best part is now Your closer to the salt flats.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  12. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

glad to hear it all. i guess it's a good thing i like rock crawlers too.

mayhaps i'll build a snow rod for winter.. a blown half tracked 33 hudson or
    a c cab. hahaha.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As one of the guys said, make sure you have a 50/50 Antifreeze mixture in the car (s) you take up there BEFORE you go. I saw two cars on the side of the road yesterday that had the radiators freeze up going down the road due to not enough antifreeze in them.

14. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

welcome to Colorado! ive been here 2 years now and really like it.

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

15. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

got it.. 50/50... snow shoes on my truck and chains on my boots and and heated undies.

16. Welcome to Colorado!
    If you can put up with the 4x4's and like rock crawlers, keep an eye out for an annual hill climb in that area called "Lands End". Since they paved the road at Pikes Peak, "Lands End" is one of the last of the classic dirt road mountain hill climbs left.

17. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

18. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

sellin my projects and such to get there but i'm sure i'll find something to build agian when i'm there.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Good movie!!! So was the second one... :D

20. barry wny

barry wny

Lived a year near the peak, took the kids there this fall. My daughter 16 cried when we had to leave, reminds me of promise to move there soon. Maybe after this school year is over, in the oil & gas business.

21. I want to get back to Colorado (or Utah!) in the near future. No matter where I am, Colorado is home, period.

22. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

Whatcha got to sell? Just bring it all with you and sell it up here. We can always use a new influx of good stuff.

23. 1931av8

1931av8

24. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Never heard of Debeque until I went to a street autocross there twenty years ago. A club in Grand Junction ran auto crosses every year in the down town area, on public roads. It was great fun! There's a retirement home that served lunch with a little old lady taking the money. She never could count change correctly so we always over paid. We always wondered if it was on purpose or not. A friend works in Parachute, which isn't far from there. He makes great money working for the gas industry. Get a dirt bike or a four wheeler, and go to the shows you can. It's pretty wide open country.

25. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

46 international 1 1/2 ton
    47 dodge powerwagon 1 1/4 ton 4x4

already sold my 65 chrysler newport.

have to sell them to get there. it's a need thing not a want thing.. if i won the
    lottery i'd keep them.