Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Damn it!...now it looks like I'm gonna become a riveter! :D

Riveting the plates on would be way more authentic and period correct for the car. I guess rivets it is!

2. jim galli

jim galli

This thread sounds like a frog pond.

3. The car looks like it would be a real blastbto drive. Very cool.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You been slacking all weekend, Clayton?? Where's my update? I need my Flivver Fix.

-Dave

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

..Rivet.....Rivet.....Rivet.Rivet.....:D

Thanks to that, I have given my key board and monitor a "wash down" with my morning O.J. ....so I will need to go clear them now ;)

It is a blast to drive, and hopefully it will be even more of a blast when I'm done!

I know, I know.....but I wasn't slacking Dave, honest! :D

Sadly I had to finish all the moving of MY stuff to my new house....so that kinda eat my Saturday, and a good portion of my Sunday too. I will be back at it Wednesday, so I should have something to "tide you over" then.

...Pretty cool that I have you trained to be needing a "flivver fix" every Monday morning... ;) :D

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

New house? I hope it's period correct to the car: a bungalow or a foursquare done in a tasteful colonial revival, perhaps.

-Dave (well trained and shaking from Flivver Withdrawals)

7. Hahahaha. Sorry!
    Riveted in the rear cross member on my '27, easy enough part from backing up the rivet inside the chassis rail. I borrowed a huge slab of 40mm steel and drilled a concave pocket in the corner. Was even honest enough to take it back...

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

No, it's a new home, but a happy one :D

My GF and I are renting now...saving for the perfect period dream house ;)

I am having them too, but I hope to have a "fix" for you Wednesday.

Very nice! Have been thinking on this more and the more I do, the more I'm sold on the rivet idea. Think it will be the perfect touch.

9. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Great photos man. Really cool. I can tell that the two of you are having fun. I'm stoked that you found a nice lady who is into you, into cars and into the era. Very nice.

As for the rest of the build. You and Chris have done some outstanding work. TOP DRAWER shit man. This T is going to be better than it ever was. I'm stoked. Good for you dude. Keep up the bad ass work.

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Great family portraits! I didn't see those before but that's awesome.

Oh.. and.. rivets. Yeah.

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

DropOut! Long time no see....guess you got suck into that Rancho of your pretty good huh? ;)

She is awful special....that "one in a million" kinda girl that you always dreamed about. the perfect "keeper" :D

Thank you, I'm quite pleased with how the T is coming along and I feel that my skills have greatly increased in the subsequent years. I know it will be far better then it ever was. I can't wait. :)

Thank you kindly TS :D

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

*UPDATE*
    Well, I know it's not much.....but at least it's somethin'..

I did make it out to the shop last night, but couldn't really start anything major....so I got the front shocks and the head light brackets back on so that I can start on the front shock mounts and the headlight fork repair.

I didn't get a whole heck of allot done, but for all of you screaming for updates and starting to go into withdrawals this is something to tide you over....and to stop you all from eating yourselves ;) :D

[​IMG]

Basic overview of the front shock arrangement
    [​IMG]

I also rolled it out into the center to get some better shots of the finished wishbones
    [​IMG]

It's startin' to look like a Model T again!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did get some clean-up work on the front shackles
    [​IMG]

....and for Youngster, the supports on the frame mount ball-stud plates
    [​IMG]

Just a general view
    [​IMG]

More to come this weekend...hopefully. The Christmas holiday has begun to hamper my progress a bit, but I'll be back to it full-force soon!

13. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Thanks Clayton ... I'm better now. At first glance at the first pic I thought you had those monster mudders on your chassis ... :eek:

Ya got any pics of your steering box and/or mount?

Ron

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

Ron,

Those tires would look awful funny on my roadster :D

I do have some pictures of the steering box mounts.

Here it is during the machining process:
    [​IMG]

..and as originally completed.
    [​IMG]

The large vertical brace was later removed and this adjustable upper support was added under the dash to allow for the column to be adjustable.
    [​IMG]

This bracket has since been refined.

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Tilt steering!

Thanks for the update.

-Dave

16. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, The "T" is looking real good. I am getting to like the small little details more and more. Your "T" is going to be full of details. Will be looking forward to the weekend update !

Dave

17. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Umm ... tell me you didn't drive your T with the pitman arm just tacked.

Ron

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you Dave as always! :D I don't know how much time I will have this weekend and next with the up coming holiday, but I will do my best to have something for you all in my regular Weekend Update.

Havens no! :eek: That Pittman arm was heated and pressed on, welded in place, them a split washer and locking nut were added to make sure it REALLY wasn't going anywhere. Those photos were taken before I made my last hardware store run for the remaining nuts and lock washers :D

..God forbid I ever have to take the damn thing off

19. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Looking GREAT Clayton!

I'll give you a call next week to touch base with you. Looking forward to it! :D

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Andy!

Look forward to hearing from ya! ...and the trip of course! :D

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

*UPDATE*
    To all of my wonderful H.A.M.B. brothers and sisters...

Merry Christmas!

:)

[​IMG]

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Good stuff, Clayton. And a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

-Dave

23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, All the best to you, Julia and the kids. Make a great family oriented Christmas Card. Hope you have a Great and Merry Christmas.

Dave

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you kindly my friends! :D

25. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Nice roadster and a good looking family to go with.I enjoy this thread and you style of car building. Merry Christmas! to you and yours.Bob

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Clayton,

You posted in this thread way back when, but since you didn't comment on this car I don't know if you saw it. Have you ever encountered it before?

For some reason it popped into my head the other night, and it won't leave, so I thought I'd spread the disease.

-Dave

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you kindly Bob! I do count myself very lucky to have found her :)

I'm also glad that you enjoy the tread and my "style" :D I will of course keep the regular updates coming!

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Wow, what thread was this from?....I have no memory of seeing this car.

Any more on this rig? It is undoubtedly an A 'banger powered T roadster on what appears to be a '32 frame, split 'bones/radius rods and running 19" Model A wheels.

Interesting :D

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The thread was called T roadster picture thread. It started in February ‘10 and went to April of this year. I hadn’t even noticed the Deuce rails myself.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about the car beyond what you observed. It gets its unique look from coupe rear quarters and what appears to be a ‘37-‘38 windshield set up like a DuVall/Hallock unit.

If you click the blue box next to VanHorton in the quote, it will jump you to that post in the thread and you can read backward to find the first mention of the car.

-Dave

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

Interesting, will go and take a look.

Those are actually authentic roadster rear quarters....not coupe panels. On the coupes, the trunk lid is completely different (it's shorter and turns up at a starker angle at the hinge point ), they don't really have the "tulip panel" above the trunk lid and the side panels (just behind the doors) have the lips for the wrap-around roadster upholstery. They might have been stretched a bit or combined them with a set of coupe quarters...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011