Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar 360 and multi single carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greenworks, Dec 4, 2011.

1. greenworks

greenworks

maybe for simplisty sake Ill stick with 904 that was behind the 360 its whole life then the linkage,balance and everyhting is good as Its been in our family since day one in 1978. Keep in mind Im not building a race car it might get hammered once a month maybe, its a cruiser mostly..the 904 should be able to make it the summer at least.

The 6 pack is way overkill for my hp wants, Im still trying to tracking down a manilfold to run 3 single carbs, I think thats my best option for looks,price,and hp (for want I want).Im getting my mopar guy to quote the 6 pack just for interest sake

I will contact Offenhouser by phone that maybe my best yet, thank again guys keep the tips coming!!

Jason

2. George

George

On a practical basis your best bet is a Performer & a 600 Holley. On the tranny...IF 360s were built in 1970 they would have had the 727 & Ford put FMX or C6s behind the 351s. By the late 70s the engines were decompressed, detuned & smogged up along with desperation in reaching CAFE standards that you could find 360s with 904s & 351s with the little C4.

3. 73RR

73RR

Why not support dmarv here on the Hamb? He is an Offy dealer and can answer all of your Offy questions. Give him a call.;)

4. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

I'd look at the 6Pack manifold and then use a Trans Dap adapter to run an older carb. Then you have the 6 pack manifold and you can pickup cabs and stuff as you can aford it and do the switch down the line. That way you have two manifolds in one.

5. greenworks

greenworks

email sent to dmarv thanks

George your thinking is right my 360 has a lean burn system on it now that will be removed to install it in my model a that will crank up the torque abuse on the tranny for sure. I emailed the guy thats selling his 727 to see if its a lockup version or not

6. greenworks

greenworks

so the guy says it has all first level external linkage is that everything or is there more I need its out of a 80-81 van with a 360 and its a non lockup which is good

7. Would love to see some pix of the build so far...I have 24 dodge buisness coupe with a 318-904 going in.

8. greenworks

greenworks

Just waiting on the 32 frame to show up should be here in the next few weeks then Ill post some pics. otherwise just the 5.5" chop is done...I am trying to stay ahead of the game getting parts ready so I have no down time as this car is planned on being on the road this spring:D

9. greenworks

greenworks

after hours of research the poly head is my only three carb option, there are some listed on ebay every once in a while. Will a poly 318 manifold even fit a la 360 engine??I thought the polys where a wider engine:confused:

the eldelbrock p600 is the part number

10. sledkid

sledkid
    from mansfield

no that poly is a completly different animal. you will never hurt that 904 with a mostly stock 360 plus you will save weight.

11. sledkid

sledkid
    from mansfield

6pak pn# p4529054 @ summit $303.95 318/340/360

12. Well, I'm glad you backed up what I had told you.

Just FYI, the Poly and LA engines used the same basic block architecture (but NOT the same blocks). The poly heads will bolt on an LA block, but there are some water passage mods that need to made to seal the deck and get water to the heads. Theres another thread (or many) that cover Poly engines.

No one made a 3 deuce setup for the LA, because it was no longer an improvement over the stock 4 bbl intake. Nothing was. In fact Edelbrock's famous "DP" manifolds were exact copies of the factory intakes, just in aluminum.

In fact, your problem sort of gets at the essence of the 1964 cutoff for the HAMB... After that, you could likely buy something faster than you could build...

13. 73RR

73RR

Yup! They do fit and work once the little details are covered, including using the poly cam... so you could even have a 400+ inch poly from a 360, or you could just start with a 318P and still get 400 inches and then scrounge up a P600.... or stay with the LA package and run a 2x4 with old style carbs. IMO the new Edelbrock, Federal Mogul, AFB just don't look vintage for some reason.

There are plenty of resources available if you start thinking about the Poly engines.