Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone recognize these wheels???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by X77D80, Oct 6, 2011.

1. X77D80

X77D80
    from New Mexico

I found these old crusty wheels on craig's list today and couldn't pass them up. :eek: I was wondering if any of you might recognize what brand they might be? The two with tires are 15x10 or 10.5 and take an oval washer like an old set of ET Centerline look a likes I had back in 1981.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next three wheels are 14x6 and look to be a steel wheel with an Aluminum center.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance,
    Nick

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Appliance Products? Wasn't there a Co. with that name? Gary

3. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Thats right. I had apair of A/P and a pair of M/Ts last year and sold them at a swapmeet. They looked very similar.

4. X77D80

X77D80
    from New Mexico

Thanks guys. Did your A/P wheels take the oval washers also?

What about the 14x6's? anyone recognize them?

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

YUP late 60's two piece Appliance 5 spokes. Check for cracking on the aluminum face, that was the only problem I had with them back then!

6. X77D80

X77D80
    from New Mexico

Thanks, so the 14x6 are Appliance also?

7. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Mine were 14X6 with washers.One piece.

8. Squablow

Squablow

The 14x6 wheels might also have been made by Keystone, I had one of them with the 5 eared center cap on it, the aluminum comes all the way over the face of the aluminum wheel, looks the same. They rust in between the steel and aluminum, can be dangerous if they're not well preserved.

9. X77D80

X77D80
    from New Mexico

Thank you I will be sure to look them over really good as I think I want to use the 14x6's on the front of the 47 if they will clean up half way decent.

10. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

look like old keystones

11. A/P wheels are not Appliance wheels. I had a set of A/P alum. slots and found they were made in Japan. Check the back side of the wheel.

12. rustydibris

rustydibris

Kool wheels... I found a sticker appliance product sticker one time... it was odd had a buzzard and a header shooting flames out... Thought they just sold headers

13. edweird

edweird

i always wondered how in the hell they welded the alum. to the steel.somebody tell me please.

14. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The 15x10s are ET wheels that take the oval shaped washer that can make the bolt pattern go from 4.5" to 5" (with the right washer) ...someone just put the Appliance plating cap on that wheel. I dont think Appliance ever made a wheel like that and they didnt have a oval recess like that for the lug nuts. It looks like these were run without the proper washers but they should still be ok. I have a pair of 15x10s just like those..

15. That is on the list of black arts. It's a protected by a secret society of elite welders.

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, those three are Keystones...had a full set on my '64 Chevy back in 1966...still have the wheels...the car is long gone...

R-

17. i still have set of slots from Appliance products

18. Keystone didn't have oblong inset washers.

Keystone was my wheel of choice back in the day because I couldn't afford Cragars.

Bought 3 different sets back then. One of the sets I have never seen since I bought mine. Keystone "K-Flites", they were a semi-gloss black 5 spoke wheel with a chrome (not polished) outer lip. They were the best looking to date (IMHO).

19. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually A/P is Appliance, the name was originally Appliance Plating, they had wheels made in both USA and Japan. The Japan wheels I've seen were high quality.

The oval insert type washer was an ET invention, so I am guessing the one piece wheels are ET. (although it is certainly possible someone copied the insert style washer). You can tell ETs usually if it says "Gardena, Calif" on the back or "Wheel Centre" on the back.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  20. As far as I know ET had a patent "lock" on the oblong inset washer as they were the only one to use it.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Don't believe anyone said they did. The Keystones we are referring to is the three 14 x 6's pictured...those do not have oblong inset washers...if you'll kindly look at the picture a little better.

The two deeper wheels do and no one said they were Keystones...

Read the whole thread a little better please...

R-

22. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

as far as i know there is two possibilities as to what they are;

the center caps show A/P that was appliance plating that used to be in gardena calif.

but the wheels remind me of some that craiger came out with in the 60's and they were a aluminum magnesium alloy that was casted withsteel nubs in the casting for welding the centers into chrome plated rims. they were quite unique but from what i remember they didn't sell well.

that is my guess...........

23. X77D80

X77D80
    from New Mexico

Wow great info guys thank you. I bought all 5 wheels for 60 bucks & ended up using two of the 14x6's on the front of my 47. There was no way the 15x10 would fit the car so I kept the A/P caps & re listed them on craigs list for 150 and they were gone in just a couple of hours. I then bought two new Torque Thrust D wheels for the back of the 47. The guy that bought them thought they were ET wheels also and was going to use them on a Nova.

Thanks again,
    Nick

24. Terry R Vaughan

Terry R Vaughan
    from wash state

Black Panther is right about the first 2 pictures. 15x10 ET uni-lug and its the only true 10" aluminum wheel from the 60's. Fenton made a 9.5 and the nine is upside down so it says 15x6.5. Et is not the only one to make wheels with oval washers. ET center hole takes a .63" diameter shank with a 60 degree taper. The KEYSTONE has .70 center hole and NO taper. Be careful not to use the wrong combination of washer and lug nut. The 2 piece 14" wheels where made by at least 3 companies. Some rounded spoke some pointed. ET even made slot mags in 2 piece. One thing about most 60's wheels taking center caps with a 2 1/8" screw spacing is that you could change caps and fool people. Here is my webb site. I hope to do a lot of up-dating this winter. www.torquethrustcentral.com Please email me direct as I am not always on this site to respond to PM's

25. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Ummm, that made me thirsty for a couple of stones :)

26. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

LOL

Keith Stone I presume? LOL