Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the BEST paint stripper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elroy, Dec 9, 2011.

1. elroy

elroy

Okay guys Whats the verdict.? I want the nastiest, most potent stuff on earth. Thanks

2. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Aircraft stripper is pretty tough shit

3. I've got a teardrop aluminum camper trailer that needs the rest of the paint stripped off. I'd be interested in the replies, as well!

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

A mixture of gasoline and liquid detergent.

5. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

i use the paint stripper from a spray can. its pretty awesome. just dont use it in the wind. i dont remember the brand. i get it at home depot and its in a gold can.

6. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Use aircraft stripper, it is designed to peel all the paint off of aluminum airplanes without harming the metal. You can pick it up in liquid or aresole at you local auto supply store.

7. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Aircraft stripper. U can get it in five gallon buckets. Shake well or roll across the shop floor a couple times before opening. u may have to sctatch the paint to let the stripper under the paint but when it does watch out... keep it wet as well with more coats. Use a cheap paint brush to put on.... Use wire brushes to scratch..

8. 53choptop

53choptop

I use the paint stripper the hardware stores carry, but my main weapon when stripping, is I use stainless steel scouring pads to agitate the stripper into the paint and primer (layers). Just like washing dishes, I don't dig deep into the metal with the pads I just want to make sure the stripper gets mixed in good into the paint, primer, etc. Sometimes there are too many layers to go through. I get these pads at walmart, also make sure to buy chemical resistant gloves at the hardware store.

Attached Files:

9. Gator

Gator

Used aircraft stripper on my '33 plymouth, not cheap but good stuff. Like mentioned above running over the surface first with some coarse sandpaper to 'open' the paint up will help.There was a good thread on here not long ago, do a quick search if you want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

I have used the chemical strippers,had things dipped,sandblasted. Often you can strip with a razor blade about as fast. Good therapy and no fumes or residue.And you do not have to worry about neutralizing the chemicals under the new paint.

11. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

I use this exact stuff. dont even try to smell it to see how bad it is..ITS BAD.

let it set on there till it bubbles like above, then for the smaller stuff I use 0000 steel wool and a little of the stripper and it works greattt. AND polishes up the aluminum, if thats what your using it on.

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

When I stripped the paint from my 55 Ford I good a razor blade and it works great ! If not I would use a media spray of some kind . I don;t like using the paint removers because it tends to hide in cracks and I will guarantee you it will leak out on your new paint job !
    Just my opinion !

Retro Jim

13. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

POR 15 makes a really good stripper.

VR&C.

14. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have used Jasco, it's available at Home Depot and Lowe's. It is really potent stuff and does a great job. DON'T get any on your skin, use rubber gloves when you apply it.

15. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

I've used the aircraft stripper with good results, scratch the surface well,apply and cover with plastic (Saran wrap, garbage bag) to keep it from evaporating too fast, it will eat through many more layers of paint this way. Be sure to read and follow the directions on the can about the health risks, this is some nasty stuff on the body. And it says on the can
    DO NOT USE ON AIRCRAFT kinda strange. Scott

16. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

was wondering about strippers as well,but concerned about stripper left behind.
    i really dont want so strip a whole car and need to scrub it all down ,neutralize it,metal prep and prime.the labour involved ,i may as well razor it off,block sand and use self-etching primer.

i have used DAD'S paint stripper,it works very well.
    the local aircraft shop uses co2 pellets for blasting,would like to try that setup,all that is left is dust.
    there is another one,environmentally friendly,that is brushed on,and paint literally falls off.just sweep it up.i will try and get the name.

17. 60 ford

60 ford

I like aircraft stripper, used it for years.

18. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Another vote for aircraft stripper ,All I ever use ,Nasty stuff .....

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

36 grit sandpaper disc makes quick work of it and leaves great tooth for primer. A propane torch and a putty knife works great in the corners and grooves. I don't like smelly, gooey messes that burn.

21. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

thats not the best idea. primers do shrink over time. that is why you never want to leave 36 or 40 grit scratches in filler when you prime. i give metal a hit with 36 grit if im going to apply filler on that area.

22. moefuzz

moefuzz

Another vote for paint on aircraft stripper.
    Works well even on aluminum (what it's designed for)

23. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

be cautious with stripper on aluminum as it may stain the metal and look like sh*t if polished vs. painted.

24. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

after scratching I cover vehicle with newspaper (no color or shiney paper) and saturate it with stripper, this keeps stripper from running and slows evaporation due to thickness of stripper (2 layers of paper), excellent for vertical surfaces.

25. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Whats the best paint stripper?

FIRE :D

It isn't good for the metal but it takes paint off better than anything.

26. elroy

elroy

Awesome feedback guys.Tomorrow I will start with aircraft stripper,the newspaper trick works real good. Thanks

27. aaggie

aaggie

Another vote for Aircraft brand.

Brake fluid always removes paint, ask anybody.

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Aircraft remover is my favorite. Hell, I haven't had any aircraft in my yard since!

Other than that, I like bead blasting or sand, whichever is more appropriate for the job.

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

So has anyone else ever used a razor blade to scrap the old paint off ?
    I had HAMBer show me that once and I did my car in about 3 to 4 evenings with about 2 to 3 hours a night . Was very easy to do and you only use one hand . That leaves the other hand free to hold the cold beers ! :D
    I have done 2 cars like that now and it does work very easily ! Leaves no residue . no fumes or anything like that .
    Try it and you will be very surprised how well it works !

Retro Jim

30. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

razor blades do work fine. i have stripped a lot of things that way. it all depends on that the paint is. newer paint strips off fine with it. i have never tried it on older paint. paint stripper usually takes off even the primer. using a razor blade has always just taken off a few layers. also its amazing how big of a mess you can make using a razorblade. little chunks fly every where. paint stripper you just through down a sheet of plastic to work on.