Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

I just read an older story about how Bill Utz was seriously injured when his hauler ramp fell and mashed him. Does anyone know how that whole story ended up?

2. racer5c

racer5c

Off Topic but I heard that Johnny Heydenrich was hurt pretty bad in a street car accident on his way from Florida to Indy

3. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Thanks for the news Roy, even thouigh its not good. One thing thoiugh; Hot Rod is one tough son of a gun. Get well soon John.

4. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thank you for the update.

I was at springfield that day, also, and Doc's death seemed to cancel other memories of the day.

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Good wishes and prayers from here for Johnny Heydenreich.

6. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I had the privilege of meeting Bill Castle last summer at his home in Indianapolis, and it was a real joy to see the man in person, and witness his energy and enthusiasm - a true inspiration!

Sooooo sad he's gone now!! :(

[​IMG]

Here's Bill, engaged in conversation. You'll notice he's on oxygen, but that didn't deter him; he was marvelously "alive", and sharp!

[​IMG]

Me as wannabe mechanician in Bill's baby, the outstanding 1920 Miller replica he built himself from ground up - as an octogenarian!

[​IMG]

Riding down pitlane on the Milwaukee Mile, courtesy of Terry Castle, Bill's son. Bill himself was already to weak to accompany us to the Beer City.

RIP, Bill - and thank you for everything! :)

7. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Sounds like something Bill Spoerle could've said! :D

8. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Mr. Castle was "the man"... He accomplished something most people can't, he completed his final project and lived to enjoy it. Hopefully, his son will keep Bill's car on the track for years to come as a lasting tribute.

Godspeed, Bill !!!!!

mac miller in INDY

9. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

In the second picture, the car just ahead of 28. Looks like a coupe or ??? Anybody want to comment on what that car is and who built it. The car has a huge hoop for a roll bar inside the car.

10. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'The answer was noted back a ways and I can vouch for KingOLawn; that is Jimmy Oskie in the #28 and Wayne Weiler in the Peat Bros. #71 "T" bodied car.

11. BS_in_SC

BS_in_SC

12. easter

easter

Yeah, way back earlier on this thread I posted all of the names in that race. Busson was driving the #95. Off the top of my head - Easter, Boyd, Rapp, Harrison, Busson, Hale, Weir, Wise - in no particular order

13. gtxrider

gtxrider

My grandfather has basically the same expression!

14. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I've heard that the accident was very serious.

Has anyone heard any more as to his condition &/or what hospital / where / room number, etc. for cards, notes, etc.?

15. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

I just learned that John suffered numerous broken bones and lacerations and is in a hospital In Greenville NC. He will be facing a long road to recovery with much rehab.
    Will post more info when available.

16. racer5c

racer5c

just talked to his ex father in law, all his ribs are broken, numerous broken bones in arms and legs, somehow he was "scalped" in the accident, he's had two surgeries and has more scheduled. He fell asleep and ran into a parked semi, went over a guard rail and ended up in a river, some people who saw the accident pulled him out of the vehicle before he drowned. He's gonna make it but is hurt pretty bad

17. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

This picture of Dick Atkins in the number 98 Pestana and Lang Chevy was taken at Hanford at a CRA race in 1965. This is the car that Johnny Anderson purchased after Sherman Cleveland's death.
    Note the numeral 9 has been taped over so the car could be scored as a number 8. The reason? The car finished 8th. in CRA points in 1964.
    If you look that up you will see that the car that finished 8th. was the Shinohara - Osborne and West Chevy better known as the S.O.W. Spl.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  18. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

LittleFauss: Here is a pic. of #2 car Chadbourne + Leverenz Beck house car.

1. Saldana at Eagle 1970

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  19. easter

easter

Do you suppose we could send e-mails to his hospital as messages for him? Some hospitals do that. Any info you could provide would be appreciated. I've never seen him race, but I'm sure kind words from anyone would help. Thanks.

20. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

1970 Topeka Ks.

People in pic. Papa Joe Saldana, Me, John Leverenz and Li'l Joe Saldana. Hank Smith's #5 car next to us.

Attached Files:

21. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Was the Chadbourne and Leverenz No. 2 Beck car red or orange?

22. easter

easter

The rear radius mount looks like the one we talked about earlier on the car Opp drove. Also, the rear shock seems way forward. I don't know anything about building or setting up cars, but it looks like you guys did some things differently. Pretty cool.

23. oldracerbob

oldracerbob

New Guy, long time visitor, first time poster (I hope). I love this thread. Grew up and lived in Phoenix watching sprint cars at Manzy. Hung out a lot at Skeet Gibson's shop, friends with Rick Stewart. Would love to hear from the AZ guys.

24. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

The #2 car was red, the pic. was scanned from a 41 year old 3in. by 4in. pic.

25. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I was at Reading when Busson flipped the Cedoz #95. The hit on the wall was not easy, but ive seen worse. But that car really broke in half!!! What a piece of garbage! Busson was the luckiest driver ive ever seen.

26. easter

easter

With those big roll bars on the Alfater cars, you'd think they were considering safety first. I do know that car was fast on asphalt and dirt. I think Ted Wise and Mac Clingan both drove one as well.

27. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

#1 pic. Li'l Joe Saldana in #2 Chadbourne+Leverenz (Beck House) car, Ralph Blackett in #1 Snider Fiberglass car at Eagle Raceway, Ne. 1970.

#2 pic. Ralph Blackett in 12x Chadbourne+Leverenz (Trostle-Kain) car at Iowa State Fair 1971. Ralph did a good job in car, qualifing good usually top 4 and finishing top 5. He ran about 8 races for us. Ray Lee Goodwin also ran the car the last two races of season, winning both Fairmont Mn. and Spencer Iowa a IMCA race. The car was Goodwin's Ride from previous year, Gary Swensen could not sell chassis. John and I put our running gear in car and ran last ten races of season, we then sold car to Roger Larsen.

Attached Files:

28. MickeyD

MickeyD

First of all, this thread has been fantastic...one of information and first hand accounts that are most enjoyable to read and re-live! I have been a fan of open wheel racing since my first recollection in 1965 and later promoted races with Midgets and Sprints at the California Midwinter Fairgrounds in Imperial, CA (also known as El Centro) involving the old CRA and promoted the first point race with SCRA. It took quite a while to catch up through all the posts and look forward to many more! My first contribution ties into the Fike Plumbing car. If I post the photo correctly, this shot was taken in 1962 in the garage of Joe Pittman, mechanic on the car. Here we go...

Attached Files:

29. Buildy

Buildy

Welcome,Mickey!

I will look forward to your posts!

30. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

Also looking forward to more posts. ct40.