Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

He's on a transformer.

2. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Sorry, guess I misunderstood. Did you try adjusting the balance? More time in electrode negative (higher number on the dial) will give greater penetration if that's what you're after.

3. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Its all good man but yeah I'm runnin a transformer. Use white tungsten, tried green, same thing happend. It's not the penetration, thats fine, just dont have as much control over the arc as I would like. I need an invertor and a sharp 2% tungsten. Being able to pin point the arc to where it needs to be would give much better control over the puddle. And as you can see, the "engineers" dont provide me with nice joints to weld :D And I just like to complain haha

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I just got in a Miller Diversion 180 this morning. Man do I suck at TIG welding! I'm a MIG welder by profession, but have never TIGed in my life. I can make my MIG welds look like some of the posts here, but my current TIG skills look like shit.

I only have about 45minutes logged so far, but so far i've had to grind my tungsten to about half length. I am use to being able to rest the nozzle of my MIG gun on what i'm welding, needless to say I keep stabbing my torch. I'm still trying to figure out if I am better left or right handed.

All I can say is "I can only get better from this point."

Im gonna go throw in the Miller "free" instructional DVD now, I may learn a little somethin'

5. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Go left handed and right handed. I'm predominantly righty, but it's good to be able to go both ways.

I still forget not to set my helmet on hot metal.

[​IMG]

6. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Definitley try using both hands, not only that but always try moving your whole arm with the bead rather than just your wrist. Helps keep proper torch angle and if ya learn that from the get go it will save your ass many a times :)

3/16 Aluminum?

7. Cuda340

Cuda340

321 stainless I did for a turbo system. Silicon Bronze on the flange. 304 stainless channel.

I don't use the pulse feature and I'm getting old, so my aluminum is not as good as it used to be. Row of dimes and then someone throws in a nickel!!

Attached Files:

• tig1.jpg
      tig1.jpg
      File size:
      372.1 KB
      Views:
    • tig2.jpg
      tig2.jpg
      File size:
      331.5 KB
      Views:
    • tig3.jpg
      tig3.jpg
      File size:
      271.1 KB
      Views:
    • tig4.jpg
      tig4.jpg
      File size:
      294.8 KB
      Views:
  8. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I use silicon bronze a lot on my sculptures, it's so versatile. More of an "electric braze" than a weld, I dig it 'cuz I can join dissimilar metals and weld on zinc coated nuts/bolts without it popping(the base metal doesn't get hot enough to). Plus I dig the color contrast.

[​IMG]
    Metal Elephant Sculpture by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Berzerker, Robot Sculpture by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

A couple tiny welds on the latest piece:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cuda340

Cuda340

Those are super cool sculptures!! Love the last one. I use silicone bronze on the outside of the flanges for a little support that will give. Stainless headers move around a ton when hot and anything else would crack. I do weld the inside with 321.

10. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Thanks man. Yeah, That was what I was guessing you were doing, looks great. Very cool. Such a slick rod for different applications.

11. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

for those that may be interested.....................

i am currently writing a series of articles for a magazine that is off subject for this web site, but the article is something that is very important to this topic.

the magazine is called RATROD MAGAZINE and their website is www.ratrodmagazine.com

the article is called THE C.L.A.M.S. of WELDING. it is a very informative and educational piece that is the basic of any and all welding procedures.

if it is read and anyone wants to critique it feel free to do so.

12. SOLID9

SOLID9
    from EuroTrip!

Well I'm glad that someone is willing to help those guys out :)

Edit: Would you run into problems with the bronze filler if you were to hang a turbo off it?

13. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Wanted to tig this, but whether it was the zinc in the strut tower or junk trapped between the stamped sheet metal it just kept blowing out my tungsten. It was at a buddy's shop, and he had a little Lincoln SP-100 in the corner, a 110 wire welder. So I asked him if that machine worked, and he said "sure"

So I migged it. Not bad for a little 110 welder.

[​IMG]

Some more random walking the cup welds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Cuda340

Cuda340

Yes. Turbo's need to be supported. Never let it hang off the end of a header. Cast manifolds are okay because they are beefier. I use support rods with heim joints on either end to carry the weight of the turbo on a header and allow expansion/movement. Silicone bronze is only added to the outside of the flange. The flange is thick and the tube is thin. The expansion difference would crack the tube at the flange if welded on the inside and outside. Weld the inside and silicone bronze or nothing on the outside.

Craig

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

16. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

That whole thing would be better discussed in another thread, lest this becomes another one of "those" threads.

17. I just welded a cats ass to a glass door knob .couldn't get photo .cat ran away.sorry I couldn' resist.......

18. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

19. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Seriously, you guys need to shut up or take it to PMs. Everyone who has ever welded knows they are the best ever. Nobody cares.

20. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Not me. I know I suck at it. Sure do like seeing other's work and reading their tips. Sure don't GAS about CLAMS though. It was interesting once, and tiresome at this point.

21. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

22. 117harv

117harv

A wise man once said " men who do things that count, never stop to count them"...

Lets just keep posting the great weld PICS.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  24. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Hey, over here! Pictures of welds!

Attached Files:

25. noboD

noboD

Jdustu, I played with silicone bronze a little. It was real grainy, not smooth like yours. What was I doing wrong? And thanks for all the help, you've let me know just how much I really don't know about welding. I mean that in a good way.

26. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

:D

It can be kinda tricky. You "weld" it kind of cool, it's actually more of a braze. Too hot and it cracks, too cool and it doesn't flow at all. You just gotta play with it to find a sweet spot.

27. Some amazing work guys... on the few occasions I've tried to weld it just ends up looking like the thing has been struck by lightning or armour piercing rounds...repeatedly :(

29. noboD

noboD

Thanks Josh, you're the BEST. Woops!

30. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey ... no I'm the best ...(LOL)
    PACO