Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Santa Maria Drag Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. sololobo

sololobo

Sweet vintage video, love that bantam dodied altered. And ya goota dig the big ol Chrysler 300 ripping it up. Never had the pleasure of any dragstrip action in Santa Maria, but saw some bad ass sprint car racing at the round track there in the 80's. Thanx for the historic cruz. ~sololobo~

3. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Sweet post!! Makes me wish I was there to see the action take place. These are some cool pics regardless of size.

4. Very cool stuff!!

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Tasty stuff!! Thanks for posting.

I especially dig the drag coupes...

6. Jive-Bomber Jay -

Great post! ... cool pics! ... cool video!

The (original) "Santa Maria Dragstrip" was formed in 1951 by Jerry Gaskill and his fellow DRAGONS club members ... Jerry (@JERS36) has been know to lurk here on the H.A.M.B. ... perhaps he'll chime-in on this thread.

In 2008, I started a thread on Jerry's bitchin '36 Coupe (The Gaskill '36 Coupe ... PICS from 1977) ... and in that thread, @Silhouettes 57 posted this cool color photo:

[​IMG]

... and I posted this Santa Maria Times interview with Jerry explaining the history of the Santa Maria Dragstrip:

"Six Decades of Speed"

<embed src="http://cdn-akm.vmixcore.com/player/V0q-kWi8BSzgPzAvd7aJB9jZw-lKeH01ts/player.swf" width="640" height="504" FlashVars="auto_play=false&token=V0q-kWi8BSzgPzAvd7aJB9jZw-lKeH01ts&dev_url=http://media.vmixcore.com/vmixcore"/>​

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  7. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

Nice pic of Tony Nancys 22 JR. on there (picture 8)

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. no55mad

no55mad

Story is that the track will be built within the city limits of Santa Maria (verses dealing with Santa Barbara County govt) as Santa Maria local city government is being very cooperative concerning this project. The promotors of this project are looking for owner/investors - if interested, call 805 922 6191.

10. deto

deto

dude if this happened I would quit bitching about wanting to move...

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Never made it to Santa Maria, too many tracks closer to home, but these pictures show the quality of the competition, several Potvin-blown cars, video was very good...not sure when the track opened or closed, but read somewhere that it is still pretty much there, just overgrown with weeds...would be really cool if it reopened, but cannot bring back the days shown in the photos/videos...thanks for posting.

12. autobilly

autobilly

"... and I posted this Santa Maria Times interview with Jerry explaining the history of the Santa Maria Dragstrip:"
    Great work Todd!:)

13. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

as a santa maria resident, I really enjoyed this

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

How the hell did I miss this damn thread this morning? So awesome!!! This potiv blown Chevy is making me weep and a how about that over induced flathead in the digger?

[​IMG]

15. PapaJ

PapaJ

This Model A in this pic instantly reminded me of the HRWNN.

Attached Files:

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

This has got to be one of the coolest threads on the H.A.M.B., well to me only maybe!LOL
    Cool history here.

17. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

What is the car at 1:30??

18. fuely32

fuely32

nice shots, while only #2 and #6 are from Santa Maria, other West Coast tracks are shown as well....hope the committee is able to establish another track in the Santa Maria area...

19. I was definately born in the wrong era! What engine is @4:51? Allison maybe?

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Love the sounds in that clip. Some good sounding motors.

21. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

This came from Andy Southard's book "Hot Rods of the 1950s" and was taken near Salinas. Must-have book, as are all of his books.

22. Yep ... from page 32 ... taken @ Salinas Dragstrip in August or September 1955.

Agreed (I have all of 'em too) !!!

23. big_jae

big_jae

x2, hope the new track happens!!! Great pics!

24. flamingokid

flamingokid

I hope it happens and that people support it.

25. God, this thing is so cool it hurts!!!

[​IMG]

65COMET likes this.
  26. plyjunkie

plyjunkie

The photo of the (Gaines) 32 coupe racing the Willys Pu is from the first Famoso March Meet (1959), Jackson Brothers have a video of that meet and this race. I chased the coupe for about 30 years and bought it about 4 years ago, from Dennis Art (Dirty Denny) who had owned it for 42 years. Finding out the history of these cars is never ending.

27. fuely32

fuely32

This was taken at the Pride of The Pacific Drag Strip, San Luis Obispo, circa 1959-61...

28. Cruiser

Cruiser

Let's hope for the best that a drag strip can be established in Santa Maria, Ca. It was tried in the Paso area a few years back by Chick Cannon it just didn't fly. I'll sent Jerry Gaskil a email and tell him about this thread with his name in lights.
    I was only a twenty miles from Lions Drag strip when it was running and to be that close again with Santa Maria, wow! Santa Maria loves the West Coast Kustoms event and this helps with an open mind for a drag strip and they have the room.

CRUISER :cool:

29. Thank you so much for the Santa Maria Drag Strip pic's. Im in the El Camino at number 3:10 on the video. I would love nothing more than to come back to Santa Maria and race one of my cars. Hope to have this Avatar Studebaker at Bakersfield in October. Lots of work left to get it ready, had to start with an all new chassis. Ernie Nicholson's old car from So. Central L.A. Held the top venue at Lion's, Orange County and Irwindale at the same time in the mid 60's, 169MPH AA/GS. Gasserted Ted McClure

30. BigPerm365

BigPerm365

I was working for The Parts House in SLO/SM in the 70's. We ran every thing from street car to my Harley. Good times. Jerry was the Monroe shock rep, if I remember.