Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see your "paintin place"....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the other me, Dec 5, 2011.

1. painted this outside with ppg midnight black laquer

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      466.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I like you white walls very traditional.

3. evintho

evintho

It's not mine but this has got to be the ultimate portable paint booth!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joemama likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everyone with a warehouse for a garage should have a fold away booth like that! Thanks for posting the photos.:D

5. Skcollob

Skcollob
    from UK, Kambs

Mine's a small garage, very little room around the car and dusty. But given the "full Dexter" and a wetted floor and a paper suit I can get a good wet coat or two free of flying crap. Soon as the floor dries, bits start landing in the paint. I do some bits outside, actually get less hassle with dust and kamikaze flies etc.

[​IMG]

Love that colour Chevy54... can I ask what it is? Looking for similar to 2-tone my wagon.

6. MP&C

MP&C

Devilbiss semi-downdraft booth..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Deuces

Deuces

You don't want to see my spray booth....
    All it is, is a cardboard box... :rolleyes:

8. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I use the workplace booth. Very handy.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      486.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Our hide out.

10. Cylinder9

Cylinder9

I do most of mine in a commercial spray booth.

11. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Great idea!

Thanx bro, its a mid 30s Ford color called Cordoba Tan!

12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I have had many versions of "paintbooths" and it was always a problem when venting air outside the "booth"...or garage as my neighbors knew it. I made this recycling air filter some time ago and have been very happy with its performance. Lower box has two stages of filtration; first is a paint arrestor material backed by a MERV 11 filter. Upper box has 3 inches of activated carbon and a set of regular paint booth inlet filters. I paint in a closed 2-1/2 car garage and this air unit will recycle all the air in the garage 3 times per minute with no overspray anywhere in the garage...not even dust. Best of all the neighbors never know when I am painting...no overspray and no smell.

Attached Files:

13. Skcollob

Skcollob
    from UK, Kambs

Eric, thanks :cool:
    cheers
    Bill

14. Rod Ari

Rod Ari
    from Finland

My booth from early last spring. It wasn´t too cold, there was no flies or dust but there sure was use for rubber boots.

Rod Ari

Attached Files:

15. D-man313

D-man313

Paintbooth!! We dont need no stinkin paintbooth!!:eek::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final product

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Since I used to do sheetmetal and HVAC I should have already thought about something like this, but didn't.

Thanks Charlie.

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Here is mine....certainly not fancy, or professional, but works for me......:)
    Cheers....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

My garage after a good sprayin' on my kid's o/t car. Little dusty, but it cut/buffed fine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  19. williebill

williebill

More details,please?

20. derbydad276

derbydad276

this one of the best ideas I have seen in while ! the only omprovement I would make on it would be to use light weight steel studs and FRP board
    to save weight

21. JustJoey

JustJoey

Funny you say that, I did some painting in my garage last week with plastic sheeting setup. My wife said it looked like a kill room with the red overspray everywhere.

22. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Yeah it's kinda funny you should mention the HVAC...I hadn't planned on building it this way but I have a buddy who is in the trade and he took my measurements and turned them in on a work order with another big job they were doing. About 10 days later he shows up with the 18 ga ducting in the back of his truck...it sure made my work easier. I added a 1 x 2 box steel frame to the underside of the lower cabinet to strengthen the unit and to hold the casters.

I used a 1 HP blower (available at Grainger, etc) and wired it up for high and low speed. In the circuit box on the air recycler I placed the on/off/speed switch and another outlet so that I could plug in lights or other devices as needed. I welded up some angle to hold the paint arrestor material, it comes in 300 ft rolls and is fairly cheap to buy...it only needs 5 ft to cover the intake. It is fairly common for air filters to be supplied in a 20 x 20 inch size so the lower unit is 3 x 20 and the upper is 2 x 20. I built a tray that holds the activated carbon (bought the carbon on ebay, overstock on a PA water plant)...this is basically the same stuff that is in the dual-filtration masks you buy for painting. The upper cabinet has a couple of regular paint booth intake filters on the outlet door that are there just in case some carbon particles break free and want to come out in the air return flow.

I built this unit a few years ago and had it posted here right after I finished it. I got the usual concerns about "blowing yourself up", etc for using a non-sealed blower. Given the low volatility of the paint I use and the ultra-low concentration of vapors there is virtually no chance of combustion. Just thought that I would mention this point for those who may be thinking about those concerns.

I have found another use for this unit quite by accident...one day I was working in the garage and it was a really hot day. I turned on the blower just to move some air around in the garage and I noticed that all the dust off the panel that I was sanding got sucked up in the filter. Now I run it even when I am not painting but making dust, keeps the garage a lot cleaner.

I sure wish that I had enough room in my garage for that folding wall setup, that is really cool.

23. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

They don't show pictures of the three days it took to move all the garbage away from the wall so that it could be pulled out.:D

24. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I hear that...I just spent the last two days clearing out my garage so that I can paint my 56 F100 and it's in pieces. I sure would like to have that much room to work...

25. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

women can be so touchy- Where are there priorities?Nice paint job, purple clothes. I don't see the problem.

26. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Love those respirators.

27. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

That's actually a nice design. There is something similar on the market that has fire suppression and a plastic curtain and ceiling that are collapsible. If you google mobile paint booth you can find them. But when I looked into them they were around $15 grand.