Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Who's Building a T?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Racrdad

Racrdad

So many people over chop them IMO, this is perfect!

2. knotttty

knotttty

I would have to agree..... I am thinking that would be my next build.... and no chop for sure....

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

[​IMG]

I'd really like to know much more about what was in this build.
    I also have visions of replicating it some day.
    I believe it was sold to CA.
    Anybody know more about where it is now.
    I would like to have a real life look at it close up.

4. Hey there, fiftyV8.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is obsessed with Mercury Charlie's old T. Starting with the blatantly obvious, it is unchopped. It has a suicide style front end and is suspended in back by a traverse spring. It runs a small block chevy and a 3 speed auto. The frame is Z'ed, and isn't channeled, if I recall correctly, which afforded the car ample interior head and leg room. I'm 6'5" and fit comfortably in the car, having both driven and ridden shotgun in it on a few glorious occasions.
    The body was sprayed in DP 90 and Von Franco did the tribal style flames in a metallic purple, then pinstriped the outer edges in a lighter color (lavender or white, if memory serves.)
    The firewall, frame, engine and drivetrain were all painted white. The interior upholstery was tastefully done by Fat Lucky's (aka Sean Johnstun) in a lavender glitter vinyl and pearl white. And the roof, custom made by Charlie, was padded in pearl white vinyl.
    The car rode low but was Charlie's daily for years, a true testament to just how well built the car is.
    A few weeks ago, I found a video of its new owner interviewed about the car at a car show. The car's paint is stripped off, leaving an all metal body. Other than that, the car appeared much the same. You can see that clip if you go to my blog, where you might like digging around since it is dedicated to the subject of T's and my Tall T's build: http://houseospeed26tallt.blogspot.com/
    Or, you can always call Charlie and have him build you a frame since he now makes a custom frame for people like you and I who want to capture the vibe of his old T.
    Don't even get me started on his new T, which has more tricks up its sleeve that anything Chartlie has built to date, IMHO. More on that when Charlie is willing to share it with the world.
    In the meantime, consider a Mercury Charlie frame for your tall T. I've got one going together at Charlie's as I write this. Here's his site.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Sure!

Home built frame 2x3 box tubing
    SBC 350 T/350 trans
    46 ford coupe front axle/rear axle
    3.5" channel, 8" chop
    And I'll post a rendering so you can see what it'll look like.... :)

Dave, after I channeled it on the frame, I didn't have enough head room to chop it 10" like I originally wanted, so we chopped it 8" which was perfect, it doesn't look cartoony or goofy, I opened up the rear window too, by chopping it only 5" total, that eliminates the mail slot window I don't like!

Thanks! :)

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Here's part of my build.... Here

And my rendering! :D

[​IMG]

VA HAMB likes this.
  7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Looks really great. Thanks for the info on the chop.

-Dave

8. Thanks for sharing your build specs, Chadillac. Although I'm not giving mine a haircut,
    where you netted out looks proportionally right to me. And good on you for not reducing the rear window to the dimensions of a mailbox slot. Dig the rendering, too.

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    I share your passion.
    Sent you a PM.

10. user1724_pic94271_1248398797.jpg
    Another tall one.

11. Stopped building.
    [​IMG]
    Needs rebuilding.
    [​IMG]
    Currently building.
    [​IMG]

That's that covered.

Speedys Garage likes this.
  12. This is the last set of shots taken of Mercury Charlie's new T. These are over a year old. It has since received a haircut and a lot of other goodies. It now has a sweet roof, its body has been gone over and it's packed with cool shit. Check out the spring perch on the front. The floors. The frame is of his own making. In fact, you can see a schematic of the frame in one of the trunk shots. This is going to be one very badass T.

069-3.jpg

053-5.jpg

055-5.jpg

057-4.jpg

051-5.jpg

064_Cropped.jpg

012-2.jpg

13. Have a 26 touring with 39 rear end, 39 front axle with volvo solid rotors (disk brakes).1940 flathead v8 60 hp, 39 3 speed tranny.
    full fendered model a wheels car appears stock.will post a picture when I figuire out how joe mac

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Until you mentioned the wheels, I thought you were talking about this car:

[​IMG]

-Dave

15. This one is nicely built, IMHO. I saw it on e-Bay.
    images.jpeg

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here is a close up of the Mercury Charlie frame/chassis I found on an earlier post which maybe a little clearer.

Attached Files:

17. [​IMG]
    Hopefully here is mine (first time picture post)
    Glass body (steel bodies aren't so plentiful here in Australia), Model A frame, swept 3 1/2" up front 6" Z in back, stock Model A axle, split bones up front. Quickchange hung off Model A spring with Model A Radius rods in back. '42 Flathead and C4 providing the go. Been at it 10 years, completion date = "when it's done".

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'd like to see some pic's of your model A radius rods onto the quickchange...

19. inkstain27

inkstain27

here is my RPU project i just picked up last week

Attached Files:

20. mufasavnvmc

mufasavnvmc
    from Iowa

I am also building a 1926 tudor sedan with an inline 6 and a 3 speed. I will do all fabracting myself. Not that I am some guru it just something I always wanted to do and I think that is the way it was done back in the day. Besides I am retired so I have the time.

21. mufasavnvmc

mufasavnvmc
    from Iowa

a day in the life of kirkville kustom 012.jpg

pics of the t that I am building more pics in the future

a day in the life of kirkville kustom 005.jpg

22. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Well... I wasn't going to post anything but what the hey.
    I don't have anything in the same league as most of these but I'm piecing together a steel Frankenstein.
    Steel panels here are more than rare. I got the back section (I'm told it's circa 1913) from HAMBer koolkemp and the 27 cowl frame from a fellow in my area. I made the skin for it.
    The doors I made from scratch. Actually... the metal came from the sides of a couple of server computers. Soo... I left the spec sheet on the inside of the door for the fun of it (ya, I'm strange).
    Seats are the rear seats in a little 4X4 GM Sunrunner or Suzuki equiv.
    32" from front of seat to firewall so plenty of leg room.
    Frame I made from 2x3.
    Everything else sitting on it is temporary.
    Body is now in winter paint (rust protection).
    Hopefully the chassis will go in the garage next week.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  23. butch27

butch27

That is going to be so cool!

24. That is much better, fiftyv8! Thanks for posting it. That's the frame that's being built for my T.

25. Another from the collection. Dig those pipes.
    Picture 003.jpg

26. ernest t bass

ernest t bass
    from Iowa

Like everyone else I've been gathering parts. So far got a rough 27 coupe body, 27 ford title, UFAB 8 duece kit, and a 1953 331 Hemi thats needs gone thru but all there. Hope to get started on a rolling chassis early spring. Z'd and a short wheelbase of 98.5 to100in as I really like that short stubby look. Not sure if this counts as building but just wanted to share as this will be my very first hot rod.

27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here is one of my T coupes I got from TX about 2 years back.
    I hope to have it looking more like Mercury Charlie's old coupe one day, with a few of my own touches added as well.

I am sure one of Charlies frames would help speed it along build wise...

Ive used the engine SBC in another project and hope to use a 365 Cadillac engine when I start rebuilding this coupe.

Attached Files:

28. ds112

ds112
    from florida

I'm building a glass bodied 23 homebuilt frame.

29. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here is my other 1926/27 model T coupe, nothing much happening with this one for now.

Attached Files:

30. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

[​IMG]

Currently she's blown apart....prepping for paint....