Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Dirt Track Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ford6man27, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Dans28Tdr

Dans28Tdr

Adam,

What club are you part of?

Dan

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

So i have a '30 chev shell and a full race 235 both from around 68-69 vintage monroe WA track, So does anyone on the west coast actually run this stuff??? I figure i might try to build it legal if there is racing to be done. Any way it gets built it's gunna be vintage dirt track, i'm just not sure how 'vintage' i should built it

3. hotflash fords

hotflash fords

andy i talk to you when i was trying to run a 6.cyl. ford .igot spold when i ran a chevy.so i went back to them.got to spend sometime with sonny while back; at a racing chicken stew i sure had a goodtime.hope to change to a flathead before to long.ken;

4. hotflash fords

hotflash fords

[​IMG]Andy,this is my race car,all steel 34 built in Iowa years ago by Bub Dufelt. I think you have raced against him before.Im 72 years old and I think its time to sell it. If anyone interested,call Ken 256-436-6924

5. ford6man27

ford6man27

Ken,
    Yes I know Bud and have raced with him. He built a bunch of very good cars over the years. Our group runs 6 cyl. and flathead V8's only. Does your car have an overhead V8 chevy in it now? I will put the word out that it is for sale. It would help if you would post a photo of it. Tell Sonny he needs to get that flathead together so I can come down and steel it from him. I have a 34 sedan just waiting for a fast flathead.

Later
    Andy

6. hear is one that is a clone .what do ya think. belongs to my good frend Terry in Hampton Va

Attached Files:

7. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Excellent-I come from 'there' too.

9. johnn34

johnn34
    from usa

<table style="width: 525px; height: 90px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><colgroup><col width="179"></colgroup><tbody><tr height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:134pt" height="20" width="179">I love old stock cars and we can give a different look to these cars by using new technologies.</td> </tr></tbody></table>

10. morac41

morac41

Hi ..Had a lot of years in different class's...did a couple of years 1961 -63 in dirt hot rods..this was a 32 sedan ..I shorten the wheel to 90".. just about the length of the back door taken out..it made it handle good on a greasy track....this was at Dalesford 1963 only place to race after they closed Tracey's out at Maribyrnong....also did some 500cc TQ....Racing......

Attached Files:

11. skull

skull

my dad in the O4 car, in 1982 on the ''new" 3/8 mile in elma.

track was shortened from a 1/2 mile to a 3/8 mile in 1980.

a couple pics of the 77 " winged modified" that ran the 1/2 mile track in the late 60's-early 70's at elma, washington.

the other 2 are part of the northwest vintage racing club.

Later :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  12. wounder what something like this is worth im running out of room and im thinking about selling it have too many other unfinished projects thanks

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here's a few from Portland, Oregon from the 50's.

Attached Files:

14. High Gang,

I'm new to H.A.M.B. (today) and it will take me a while to learn to navigate around this site.

This particular thread started me drooling, for our non-profit Fantasy Speedway Historical Racing Assn. is currently RACING THESE EARLY ERA JALOPY CARS as authentically as we are able to, 50+ years after the fact.
    We knew it could never happen again, but we now find ourselves doing the impossible all over again.

Way too many "vintage" stock car clubs have succumbed to the big dollar high horsepower/modern chassis syndrome, including the first vintage club we began here in Maine. This has too often left the authentic race cars from stock car racing's formative years forgotten and forced to fend for themselves - thus Fantasy Speedway.

I won't take a lot of your time here, but you can see more of what we do on our website http://fantasyspeedway.me !

Trophydash made mention of Perry Kratchmer, a dear friend of ours. Perry no longer has his website, but he has blessed us with his inventory of ORIGINAL photos, which we are gradually posting on our website. Hermit Ridge Salvage/junkracer lives. Perry has made such a positive impact on what we do and has provided support and guidance all along the way. He is a true gentleman, and believer.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Ron

15. k9racer

k9racer

I tell the guys that have coil over and modern parts. Why dont you race late model we never had anything like the stuff they are running back in 50/ 60 time. I am some what guilty my self my flathead 34 sedan has a fuel cell and a 12 volt battery modern seat belts. But these other guys are off the charts.. Perry and my self have traded/ bought cars from each other for years.

16. boldventure

boldventure

A "restored" Camaro. This car ran in a class called "modified stock cars" in Watsonville, Ca. and some other SF Bay area tracks.
    They are still working on the car.

Attached Files:

17. boldventure

boldventure

Some shots from a Racers Reunion at Ocean Speedway a dirt track at the fairgrounds in Watsonville, Ca.
    The "supers" here are usually called San Jose style Supers. Some of them ran both dirt and pavement.
    The #8 is powered by 1/2 of a Marmon straight 8.

Attached Files:

18. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams

Can someone tell me what combination of axle (37-41?) and spindle (custom? aftermarket?) would be used in order to use a late model type aftermarket wide 5?

19. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Started going to jalopy races in 1960 at Hagerstown Speedway MD.

Great memories!

20. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Attached Files:

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Use to be able to get wide five spindle adaptors for a variety of different spindles like old Ford, Econoline etc. Don't think anyone makes the old stuff anymore though. Shouldn't be too hard to modify these to fit whatever you got: http://www.colemanracing.com/Spindle-Adaptor-GM-To-Wide-5-P4237.aspx

22. worken2much

worken2much

Andy,

I think you are over the legal possesion limit of vintage race cars. Don't worry, I'll come down & take a couple home.

Too late in the day to try to remember how to post pictures. I'll get to it though. Great thread

Worken2much

23. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams

Thanks Rootie, I actually have a set of those I'll check 'em out.

24. ford6man27

ford6man27

I beleave we all have a love for these old jalopy type dirt cars or we would not be reading this. Racing these old cars back in the day or in todays vintage races is so darn much fun, but ,one of the greatest things about it is meeting and becoming friends with guys like Bob Brewer [workentomuch] from South Dakota, Perry Kratchmer from Warner Ok., Bobby Varnon [Knine Racer] Huntsville Al., Bob Fink Tampa Florida. And many more , to many to list But its the peaple like you guys that keeps our sport going. I started racing in 1960 and after 52 years I am still having fun. Thanks to all of you who keep this going.

Andy

25. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

Very cool picks - bring back memories of going to the track with grandparents in the 50's. Those old "patinaed" cars are cool just the way they are - kinda hate to see them restored. Thanks for the memories.

26. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I no longer own it, but here are a few pictures of a 40 Buick straight 8 that I rescued from a junkyard in northern Wisconsin. It raced at Apple Creek Speedway (long gone) and other local tracks. Should have kept it, I know. Always looking for another.
    Tom

Attached Files:

27. This is my 62 Falcon which won the 1973 Grandview Championship.

Attached Files:

28. Hi Dennis,

Perhaps I can help a bit on the wide fives - The bolt pattern on the newer aftermarket racing wheels is the same as the old Fords (not Volkswagons). This is a 10 1/4" bolt pattern I believe. We run wide fives on all our Ford race cars because of the strength of this bolt pattern. Our current race cars range from 35's thru '48's. We run a mix of old wheels and current aftermarket on our Fords.

Ford and Mercury (39) used these wheels from 1936 thru 1939 on cars & 1/2 tons (cars & 1/2 tons are the same); and even on some 3/4 ton trucks - with heavier hubs & drums into the forties (unsure of those years). The rear car & 1/2 ton drums will interchange from 35 thru 48 (& perhaps earlier).

The 36 thru 39 front drums look very similar. However, the 36 front drums have different bearing locations, and will not interchange and locate properly on later spindles because of this offset, except without backing plates. 36 front drums locate properly only on 35 & 36 spindles (with stock backing plates), and perhaps the 32 - 34 as well. 37 thru 39 front drums interchange and locate properly only on spindles (with stock backing plates) from 37 thru 48.

Hope this proves of value.

Ron

PS: Can anyone tell me why after I have properly logged in, have drafted a quick reply, and attempt to post it, that I get a notice telling me I am not cleared to post my quick reply without again logging in, even though, on the same screen at the same time it indicates that I have all privileges listed. Of course, when I go to login a second time, I lose all the work I have done and have to begin it all over again. :confused:

29. Re: my immediate last post - couldn't believe it but HAMB automatically required me to login a THIRD time before I could post my second draft. That time, however, I did not lose the draft ??? Don't know what will happen with this one ...

These delays occur each and every time I wish to post something, and make it very difficult for me to take the time to participate here. While my brother and I are retired, we alone have 7 old school race cars sitting in our driveway that we attempt to keep in racing form, and an 8th nearing completion.

We have two crash cars that we have to finish repairing for Sunday's race, but I took time out of our day to get back on line here, and then encounter delay after delay. It may well be my doing, but I need to find a better way.

If anyone can tell me why this happens, I would sure appreciate it. Ron

30. It just happened again !