Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my 1950 dodge wayfarer rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50FREAK, Apr 25, 2010.

1. 50FREAK

50FREAK

yea the primer is just so the car isnt polka dot cause it is my driver so i cant have it lookin all hoop-D while im doin the body mods... not made of $$$ so paint will be a lil bit but it will happen

2. Mathew21

Mathew21

Great Job on the car.

3. Looks great Nick .... i like the brown
    [​IMG]

4. Philbilly

Philbilly

Looks really good man. A good inprovement from what you started with.

5. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Finally ready to do some more work on the 50.. new round of modifications include *a new stock floor body drop frame using a 1 ton dodge truck front clip w/ either 2x5 or 3x5 box tube rails 1/4" wall & a 5.9L Cummins 6BT turbo diesel and 5 spd trans..

My 50 wayfarer as it sits..
    [​IMG]

$350.00 dodge ram350 utility truck w/ a blown rear axle and a perfect running 5.9 cummins 6BT
    [​IMG]

Pot o gold... cummins 6BT turbo diesel
    [​IMG]

6. do a BUNCH of measuring that truck front suspension before you cut up your car. I suspect it's WAY too wide, and bulky, for the sheetmetal.

The IDEA of the 6BT is cool.

7. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Yea iv done the measuring & I'm not using the 1 ton hubs or dually spacers by removing the dually spacers it only measures out about 3" wider.. shouldn't be a prob since I'm not tryin to mate it to the original frame & I'm probably putting 5 lug hubs on the car of the 1/2 ton truck. Front clip isn't set In stone yet I got a 99-06 chevy clip I can possibly use...

8. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

Dude a Cummins in there would be awesome! I've thought about doing it myself but I'm putting my Cummins in my truck. Good luck, keep us updated.

9. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Thanks man! I seen a video of a 65 cadi with a 5.9 on you tube & knew I had to do it to the wayfarer hahaha

10. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Well got busted by the city (again) for workin on my cars.. I do het kinda loud tho hahaha.. Soooo I get the keys to my new shop Friday mornin once I get settled in there the cummins swap on the wayfarer will be goin
    [​IMG]
    The letter from the city said my bug and dodge were inoperable because the suspension is collapsed hahahaha

11. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Almost all moved into my new shop.. Gonna be starting on the cummins swap soon..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Been a while since I have been on here and updated pics of my build but heres a few more pics they go back about a month or so...
    [​IMG]
    Time to tear it down..
    [​IMG]
    Front end put away safe..
    [​IMG]
    Frame dropped out
    [​IMG]
    Out with the old setup time for somethin new..
    [​IMG]
    New rear setup and a ford 9" rear axle
    [​IMG]
    Front side n bag mounts on new rear setup
    [​IMG]
    5.9 cummins set in place
    [​IMG]
    Motor mounts for the cummins and where I spliced in the s10 front clip..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a walk around& start up vid link prob have to copy & paste it I dun o how to make it a hyper Link from my phone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iH82TXjaKc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

13. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Not too much done in the last few days.. Finished the transmission crossmember just gotta pull the motor and clean up a couple things on the front crossmember.. Hopin to paint it sunday night..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. 1950coronet

1950coronet
    from fontana ca

So now that you have that monster of a motor in there what are your plans for stopping this beast? I ask cause I have a stock 50 with a piece of scrap metal for a master cylinder and don't want to spend 300 bucks for 61 year old crappy brakes.

15. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

This is a cool build...can't wait for the finished product!

16. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

17. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

18. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Very cool, I like the new powerplant too!

19. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Thanks for all the comments guys progress has been slow on my 50 been busy with customer cars (49 Chevy fastback and a 61 c-10) & low on $$ so my car is kinda on hold.. But there has been progress since the last pics the frame is finished and painted and the body is back on... still gotta build a new firewall and trunk floor .. Also need to have a drive line done and figure out a radiator.. As for stoping it it has a s10 truck front suspension so it had discs up front (kinda small discs) & I'm gonna be runnin discs in the rear as well... from there if it needs more ill put a BD exhaust brake on it & that will deff be enough..

20. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Attached Files:

21. Shagrat

Shagrat

Lots of weight on that suspension... Cool, though!

22. tjmercury

tjmercury

Relly love that old MoPar! looks GREAT!!!!

23. 50FREAK

50FREAK

It was way worse before I pushed the motor back into the firewall.. but we'll see what happens it was the only halfway beefy front suspension that fit the car width wise & would fit the cummins between the rails..

24. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

Coolest car I've seen in a while! How do you feel the s-10 suspension will hold up, what size bags are you running, and do they air it up ok with all the weight. Sorry for the questions, but I have a dodge panel truck I'm building right now with a dakota front clip. I always toyed around with the idea of putting a cummins in it, but was unsure of the strength of the front suspension. I put a cummins in my 81 Dodge crewcab and love it. Would be even cooler in something old like my panel! thanks...keep us updated.

25. 50FREAK

50FREAK

THANKS MAN!! I'm hopin it will work out.. on the cummins swap forums there's a few guys with the same motor put in s10 pickups the ones talked to say they haven't had any probs so far.. With over 2k miles on one of em.. We'll see tho..
    As for the air bags I'm runnin slam specialties RE-7s on all 4 corners & in the front they lift @ about 95psi full lift @ about 115psi & that's pretty close to the psi to lift a s10 pickup... the motor is 11" back from where the original motor mounts so a lot of the weight is off the front suspension.. Before I moved it back it took 165psi to lift

26. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

looks way much better than before, great job

27. Desert_Rat

Desert_Rat

Really takin that Dodge to a hole new level!! Awesome build thread....

~Dustin

28. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Thanks guys!!

29. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Talk about building,what you like....its cool....

30. domepiece

domepiece

man this thing is cool. I had a 4bta I wanted to put in my 49 coronet but i ended up putting it in a 91 suburban. Very cool build. I put a p-pumped 6bt in my 95 chevy crew cab dually and it's a heavy motor. I would see some problems with the weight on the front end after awhile. I would definately try to go to a heavier duty lower ball joints and maybe custom built arms. Those motors wear out dodge front suspensions and those trucks were designed for that motor.

The car looks awesome too. I took 4 inches out of mine and i think it looks pretty good.

We need some video of the car doing a big smoky burnout.