Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you remember buying your first 8-track stereo

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by help-me-honda, Dec 7, 2011.

1. help-me-honda

help-me-honda

Back in 1968 my older sister bought a brand new butternut yellow camaro. It had a black convertable top on it with black interior. 327, AT. The first thing she did to the car was put a set of chrome wheels on it. The next thing she went down to the CMC stereo store and purchased a Craig pioneer 4+4 stereo 8-track tape player. Wow, was it cool. It was a all chrome unit with 4 small chrome speakers that were installed in the door panel. It really sounded great, "so I thought at the time". In the back seat she carried this 8-track tape player case that was like alligator skin on the outside and red on the inside. Man, it just seemed like the coolest thing ever.
    I was just wondering if any of you guys can remember buying your first 8-track stereo and what brand you may have bought? I'm sure there were a lot of different brands. Also where you mounted it? Some may have been fortunate enough to have a factory installed unit.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

1976, my first car ('57 Chevy 210 2 door) got a $29.95 Realistic 8 track hung under the dash. Riding around, listening to "Frampton Comes Alive"....life was good!

3. 6inarow

6inarow

Ah you rich guys. All I had was a 56 - 4 door with a tube AM radio from a 55. And yes, life was good!!

Come to think of it, I took the glove box out of my 56 and put an 8 track in there about that time.....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Muntz........

5. Matts 55

Matts 55

8 tracks ruled....
    Everybody had one, it seemed,, back in the day
    one of the first mods some did to their cars

you could listen to what you wanted when you wanted,,
    with no commercials as on the radio.

Life was getting good!!!!!!!!

Of course you had to take it out of the car at night or risk not having it the next day.

6. It was a Muntz! "pc of crap" nothing but problems. ha ha

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

76?

8 track was on it's way out by then. I believe the last year GM put 8 tracks in cars was 79.

I bet you still listen to casettes :)

Rich

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

....not to someone who had three older brothers who, between them, probably had 200 8 tracks to choose from for tunes. They were even stored in the mandatory fake alligator skin storage boxes.

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, you could still get along with an AM radio then; still plenty of rock stations. Now, all AM gets you is static and Rush Limbaugh.

10. 6inarow

6inarow

I hate to admit it, but for us it was KIMN in Denver. What they hey - you do what you gotta do when you are 17, huh?

11. khead47

khead47

And how about the FM convertors that plugged into the 8 track? Or to really go back......the reverbs?

12. Had a reverb in my 55 Chevy. Way cool.
    At least I thought so.

13. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I had an 8 track in my 65 Mustang back in 72 and I am thinking about cloning it, so I started looking for tapes, I had James Gang, Zeppelin, Who,some Beatles and a Joni Mitchell. I had it laying on the hump and everytime I turned a corner it would fall off, and pull the twisted wires apart, well that lasted about a month before I decided to make a mounting bracket. I made the bracket, rewired it, hooked red to red, black to black, put in James gang, and it ate the tape,put in the other tapes ate them, finally figured something was wrong switched the positive and negative and plugged in my last tape Joni Mitchell, and it worked oh well I was 17 so what can you do. I am pretty sure it was a Kraco.

14. Pioneer supertuner. Thought it was the shit.

15. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Dont remember the brand,put it in my 50 ford pickup.If I remember I will go look when I get home,both are still there! Gary

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have one for my wife's shoebox ford. And about 400 tapes to go with it!!!

17. Really not a topic for the INTRO pages...

18. Days long gone. I miss them, but I'm an old fuck.

19. Dennis D

Dennis D

Had one of these in my 64 Chevelle. Just purchase one from a guy that still has a service station on old RT 66 in Kirkwood Mo. Going to put it im my car I am building. Need to find some Beach Boys tapes. Dennis D

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

What a bunch of losers,all the COOL guys had the am,fm 8 track with built in C.B. radio.:D Now I'm out of here before the mods start up the spankin' machine! Oh yeah, welcome from Indy.

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

No.....but i don't remember much from dem days.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

22. Bought a '73 LT RS Camaro in '75 and promptly replaced the AM radio with a Motorola AM/FM Stereo 8 track. Was so damn proud of it I made padded brackets to install it. Put a pair of Jensen tri-axials in the rear.

23. First tape player was a 4 track...replaced by the 8 track a handful of years later...quality of the 4 track was actually better as more tape surface area per track...bad marketing killed them, much like Beta lost out to VHS

24. 1968 I put a Craig in my 65 Barracuda

25. hot rod rod

hot rod rod

Yes...A lot of bitchen & complain' but We still got the Muntz Blue Lite. 8-Trak and its still kicking Ass ! Boys... Tunes & Going SideWays thats Grooving'...

26. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Had an 8-track/FM radio combo that was passed down to me from my Dad that I hooked up in the family '70 Bonneville 455 Safari back around '77. Completely wore out Boston's first album in that thing! The folks also had a Realistic 8 track RECORDER complete with Dolby that I used to record my albums onto blank tapes! That deck was transferred to a couple different cars before retiring to my garage, where it still sits today. I also ended up with the folks' 8-track recorder that is hooked up to my hobby room's stereo. Every so often I pull out and old tape and take a walk down memory lane!

27. 60 ford

60 ford

Have an underdash 8 track player in my Mustang in 76. It was my first car, wish I had them both back.

28. cl350rr

cl350rr

a guy pulls up to the pumps and says he is 25 miles from home and outa gas. asks if I will give him $10 worth of gas for his Sanyo 8track. looks new, what the heck.

prolly stole:rolleyes:

29. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

In 1968 scratched together enough cash to buy a radio delete 61 Poncho Tempest. Local electrician was a Motorola dealer. First put in a in-dash radio with re-verb and a speaker in the back window. Couple weeks later an under dash 8-track with four speakers I installed myself. Other guys had faster cars, but I had tunes and a nice front bench seat. Could rattle the windows (ok the car was old) with John Kay and Steppenwolf.

30. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

1977... bought mine at Kmart.

I made a slide mount that had a Pace 23 Channel CB, a Kraco 8-track and a Kraco 30 watt power booster. The slide mount allowed me to remove my "custom audio" from my '70 Nova and store it in my school locker away from "thievin' dope smokin bastards I went to school with" ;).

Ahhh... simpler times