Register now to get rid of these ads!

single barrel carb question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big_jae, Dec 7, 2011.

1. big_jae

big_jae

i have a rochester on my 250 cant find a kit for this number anywere. napa, car quest, having issues on the computer also. any help would be appriciated. #7024561

:cool:

2. Deuces

Deuces

Good question for our pal "Carb King"
    I'm sure he'll step in and help you out.... :)

3. is this a 250 ford or chevy ?

4. amx180mph

amx180mph

A Echlin part number CRB 25194A from NAPA should be the one. The number you have is for industrial use with one extra vacuum port. It should work just fine on your 250.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

5. big_jae

big_jae

its a 250 chevy....amx i had that kit but the lever i have is flat with a hole. and that one is round. do you think somone could of mixed and matched tops and bottom?

6. try Kanter auto parts

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. big_jae

big_jae

amx you are exactly right about the industrial use and extra vaccume port, but that doesnt explain the difference in lever shapes

8. As the motor was widely used there could be more then one carb. as I dont know where the kit come from, I can say this I had to replace the u-joints in my driver its 38 years old and I went thru five box"s of u-joints with the wrong parts in them.
    its not the parts house bad its the manafacture.

9. big_jae

big_jae

10. The accelerator pumps in those kits are garbage. I'm having trouble with the kit in my Rochester B on my '64 292. The accelerator pump is causing a backfire on sudden full throttle from idle. I've tried ordering the pump separate hoping I'd get an old stock one, but, it's still the same weak shit design. Pull your stock one, and compare. If your stock one is good, I'd highly recommend keeping it, or finding a NOS one on Ebay.

11. big_jae

big_jae

thanks everyone for the help and info! i really appriciate it.

12. carbking

carbking

The really good kits contain leather accelerator pumps; but some do not wish to spend what the really good kits cost.

Even if you buy one of the cheap kits, check the composition of your existing accelerator pump. IF YOUR EXISTING PUMP IS LEATHER, IT IS PROBABLY SUPERIOR TO THE NEOPREME FOUND IN THE CHEAP KITS!

Take the old pump, and place it in a baby food jar (or similar glass container) and cover the leather with a light machine oil (Singer sewing machine oil, "3 N 1" oil, etc.) and let it sit overnight. The oil will rejuvinate the leather, and it will outlast several of the neopreme pumps.

Jon.

13. I wasn't aware that a better quality kit existed. Is it available through Echlin or another source? I would be all for buying a better quality setup than the garbage that was in that kit. The plastic head of the accelerator pump flexes so much that I believe it is creating a lean condition at "tip in".

I'll get my old pump out and soak it. Thanks a ton for the info.

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

My experience is the two hardest to solve problems are finding the right the accelerator pump seal and dealing with throttle shaft bore wear.

The worn throttle shaft bore shows up as a fuel leak from the shaft area when pumping the throttle when the engine is not running. Once running the fuel is sucked back into the motor (thank god! :) ) When it gets really worn it's hard to get a smooth tip in due to the throttle plate bouncing around.

I've never found a good source for pump seals. I hope someone here has a lead...

15. amx180mph

amx180mph

Oreilly or Checkers Walker part number is 64-120 for the pump with leather and the flat stock plunger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011