Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Salt Scorcher

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 5, 2011.

1. This has always been one of my favorite cars, possibly because it was a local guy, but it just had a great look.

His sponsor, F.G.Ferre & Son, was about the first real speed and custom accessories store in the Salt Lake area, starting in the late forties/early fifties and continuing into the mid seventies. Fred Ferre sponsored many dragracers, Bonneville cars etc. in this area.
    I have F.G. Ferre & Son lettered on my 3-window as a homage to Fred who just passed away a couple months ago.

Charlie also had a very short wheelbase dragster that was powered by an Ardun Merc. As I recall it would fit in the bed of a pickup truck if the tailgate was down.

The RPU was later sold to LeRoy Hubble of Ogden and the flathead was replaced with a hot 327" small block and was the one of the cars to beat at the local outlaw drags in the early sixties.

Last time I saw it was when it was parked in front of a local business where it was hit by a passing car. I later tried to buy the wrecked remains but it had already been sold.

I have no idea where the car is now.

Mick

2. Leave it to Mick to bring the story to life! Thanks Mick!

3. Wow! I love that little car. I've had the Hot Rod mag issue for a while now. Great to see some more shots from R&C. Thanks.

CM

4. khead47

khead47

Perfect in every way.

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

The last article said 1950 pounds.

I was pretty close :)

My RPU is pretty similiar in construction, and it weighs 1900 lbs with no hood or bed.

Rich

6. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I want that Scorchers SLC club plaque! CooL!

7. bruce brady

bruce brady

this book also has a neat article about editor Spencer Murray and Lou Bingham going to Bonneville --towing Lou's 32 5W coupe behind a 27 T flathead roadster PU. Long journey-Hot and Cold nights -many stops -repairs and sleeping under the cars! The coupe did 127 on fuel after removing the fenders-- Lou is back to attending Bonneville and El Mirage with the San Diego Roadsters-Had the pleasure to pit with them this year with my #389 Texome Flyer-His coupe is still around and being repaired after being damaged in Phoenix last year

8. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

9. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's my street roadster at Bonneville in 1954 with Ford flathead six. Don't know what it ran. In '55 it ran 127 with a GMC. When I got it in '62, it had a pressure pump on the left side of the dash. It pressurized a 10-gallon tank in the truck. Pump like hell when it was near empty, pump just a little, but often, when it was full. I used it for a year or so with two different 6-pot manifolds (sometimes with 4 carbs) including a cross-ram with six 97's.

Stopped using it when we put the Enderles on it in '63. Left the pump on the dash 'cause it looked "racy" as stated before. Even then I knew better than to tangle with red roadster pickups.

Here's it now with no carbonators. Been up to 210 now.

Stan Back

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

You're not fooling me...I think you're Jim Kitchin, with the light blue "mystery" sedan.

11. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

No mystery -- everyone knows it's a '28 Mercury Torpedo Salon.

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Exactly.

??

13. The INFAMOUS one;)

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

Stan has been known to use the nom de plume "Jim Kitchen" on other sites.

15. I'm really digging the proportions and stance on that car. Anybody know the specifics on the frame build?

Kind of hard to tell from the pics in the article, but from what I'm seeing, it looks like an A frame with a kick-up starting at the firewall. I can see a bit of frame peeking out under the cab, doesn't look channeled....

I love it...hit the nail on the head for sure!

More details on the chassis please :)

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There were not nearly enough details in either article on chassis. I spent some time staring at the grainy pics at on time and concluded that the rear frame was likely stock with spring in front of a V8 rear...will have to diggumout and look some more and see if that still seems right. The article were very frustrating from the lack of detail and of course the low resolution...
    I love the car, and that intrigues me because I never like much alteration on early Ford bodies. And yes, the ability of humans to actually sit in it is intriguing!
    Same Bonneville...another street flathead, a radical '40 coupe custom, ALSO drove to the event and went I think realdamnfast.3 or so...

17. Yeah Bruce, I was left scratching my head and staring at the pics myself. Also intrigued by the appearance of a whole lotta room in the cab?!?!?!

Personally, I've never been a big fan of fenderless model A's on their stock frames...with the exception of the 29 roadster. I've never really laid eyes on a 29 roadster pickup on A rails that made me stop dead in my tracks....until now.

Looks to be a stock length hood too? More questions than answers for sure! :)

18. I agree on fenderless Model A's on an A frame. But this one gave me wood in '62, and still does.

[​IMG]

19. JaViDsgn

JaViDsgn
    from Lima, Peru

It's "you are" or "you're and not "If YOUR worth a damn,". Come on man, you're giving geaheads a bad rap.

20. I've never quite understood the thought process of someone that joins this forum ... lurks for almost 3 years ... and then decides that for his very first post it would be a good idea to bump a 5+ month old thread just to point out that "the boss" made a typographical error! :eek:

Cut Ryan some slack ... at least he used the correct form of the word "damn" ... Many "gearheads" would have started this Blog/thread with: "If ur werth a dam, u sawed this truck b4 ..." :rolleyes: :D

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I would rather a man with a few grammatical errors post about killer rides such as the Salt Scorcher rather than a man with perfect grammar and english write about POS cars.

As far as I can see, you haven't made any contributions to this forum.

22. Ever since looking upon it cover appearance in dec. '53 in "Rod and Customs in the 1950s" (ISBN-10: 0760316309) years ago, I've haven't quite been able to get it out of my mind. Every time people talk about A roadster pick-ups, this one comes so vivid to mind.
    Seeing as summer finally hit Denmark, I've started dreaming of an open car, and ever since my garage has been invaded by my girlfriend's "new" car, a late '54 Chevy 3100, an early A roadster pick-up could turn out handy (parts hauling, camping in the bed, relatively low weight and easy fabrication). And this one could very well lead to inspiration of a future build. (As usual, due to taxes here in DK, I'll probably stick to having it banger-powered.) But, until then, I'll start by reading the article in my newest ebay-find, the aforementioned Rod and Custom december number of 1953.

So, thank you, Ryan, for turning my attention back to this beautiful car.

Tonneau cover, cardboard and taped up front helps it along a bit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. dad-bud

dad-bud

Dannerr, thanks for bringing this thread back from the annals of HAMBstory.
    Sweet looking little hauler that hauled.
    Cheers.

24. Damn that's a sweet roadstruck' .... yes, thanks for diggin' into the HAMB's anals-surrectus. Live and fly high ... little awesome ole' threadus' ! No problems with resurrecting old threads here ... especially unread by this guy. HAMB on ! Ain't it great ?

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The slim look from the channeling is a big part of the appeal here, giving a light and lithe look to it. And it carries off the channel without losing good proportion.
    The tribute drawing with deuce frame shoved under the body loses it, making the car look fat and almost ponderous.
    I love this car even though I generally don't like much visual modification on Ford roadsters.
    Does anyone know more about chassis layout? I posted my guesses up above. Those Salt pictures by the also very fast custom have some clues, again dark and grainy and frustrating...

Ryan likes this.
  26. All credit should go to Ryan, I just stumbled upon it after drooling over it on the 33rd page of the book. Search, and you shall find... by google! :)
    I couldn't agree more, Bruce - in both regrads. :cool:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Thanks for bring this back up...Great little truck and been a long time since I had seen any photos of it.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...Hard to believe they coaxed 130 out of it..."
    Next, inquire about the speed of the custom '39 Ford parked behind it there...

29. Found two more pictures of it, not posted in this thread yet.
    [​IMG]
    img239.jpg

And on the Hot Rod Magazine december 1953 cover:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    kasselyn29 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Not 100% sure, it is, but this does look very much like it! Found on Instagram:
    [​IMG]

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

Jet96 and kidcampbell71 like this.