Register now to get rid of these ads!

Information needed reqarding DMV and titles for the stae of Alabama.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judder_man, Dec 5, 2011.

1. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Hi, long time viewer of the forum but only just registered today in the hope some of you guys can help me out with some information regarding U.S. titles. Being form the U.K. I'm not as clued up on them as i would like to be. Basically i have found a project I'm interested in taking on. Unfortunately this project has no U.S title with is causing a problem for me. As I understand it, the state of Alabama does not require a title If the vehicle is pre 1970 or there abouts. It only requires a bill of sale to change ownership this creates a problem for me.
    Unfortunately not having a title would cause me problems registering the car in the U.K. I can get some form of certificate of lien from an attorney which would proved there was no money owing on the car but not sure this would cover my arse this side.

Anyone got any information that may lead to get a title for this project? Could i move it to a different state and get it registered? If so could someone please talk me through the process and how long it could take? Thanks for any input.

2. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

I have bought several cars---antique--- in Ala, bill of sale. This was a while ago and I know things have changed. But you also needed a registration from Ala. showing the car was legal in Ala. to get a title from here in Flordia. Not up with current legal requirments. My Model A came from there, with registation from there and a tag to match the registation. It does not "only requires a bill of sale to change ownership" as many beleive.

3. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Last time I talked to Broadway title in Alabama they needed a significant part of the vehicle with the vin and they could do it for $350 US.

By significant I mean the frame at least. A door or something would not work.

4. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

The car is 100% complete, I don't mind paying the fee's to register it as long as I have a title at the end of it. I don't mind if it is in the current owners name or in my name, thanks for your input.

5. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

6. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Goose-em many thanks for the Broadway information, it has helped my understanding of the situation much better, whats the deal with the ASE CERTIFIED INSPECTION REPORT? How would i approch this in the form of a mild project that isn't quite 100% road worthy?

7. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

How would i go about doing a title check to find out if there is a active current title for the vehicle?

8. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

28hiboy is right. BIll of Sale is not enough to get one titled in Florida or any other southern state. Because AL has such lax regulations for car titles, you have to prove the car was registered in AL before they will accept a bill of sale for foreign (state other than AL) registration. If you want to talk to someone, try the Baldwin County clerk in Bay Minette, AL.

9. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I was told Alabama requires a bill of sale only and no title needed. I have personally contacted the DMV who state they will not issue a title for a car older than 1973 The Car has been registered and has a tag receipt is it possible to obtain a title if it has been registered without going through a company like Broadway. If it comes to it and i have to pay the fee's then so be it.

10. jack orchard

jack orchard

is anyone familiar with title requirements for the state of Florida? Is it possible to get an "assembled" title?
    For instance, if i had bills of sale for the body, the frame, and the engine - would this be sufficient for an "assembled title"
    how about 2 out of the three? any info is appreciated. thanks, jack

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

i live in alabama and i buy old cars alot.i buy a car with a bill of sale and to get it tagged i now have to bring the car to the dmv so they can check serial #s.before all i had to do is take the bill of sale and go to the dmv and id get a tag.but that changed last yr.they run the #s and if its clean i get a tag.and the cut off date is 75 and newer needs titles.74 and back ,no.you will not get a title for that car in alabama.but if its got a current tag on it you get the regitrstion from the seller to prove the car is legal.if your going to bring it home to you it would be probabley be easier on you to get in registered in a state that uses titles then ship it home.like have someone get the car put it in their name get the title then sell it to you with a title.l like this set up because i can buy a old car thats been sitting for 40 yrs and dont have to mess with a title being signed or lost.hell we can pull them out of feilds where they been for yrs and build them take up there so they can get the #s and we are good to go.

12. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

So what would you advise for my particular situation?

The car in question is in Alabama. its pre 1950. How would i go about doing a title check to find out if there is a active current title for the vehicle?
    The Car has been registered and has a tag receipt? Is it possible for the seller to obtain a title if it has been registered without going through a company like Broadway?

Just read this thread about Broadway. :( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582672&page=2 the fact they have no email contact is also a problem for me as phoning them isn't really viable.
    Also, what state would be viable to sell it to in order to obtain a different state title?

Thanks again for input.

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

Be careful using any title company,especially Broadway. Their paperwork is not being accepted in alot of states now.I live in Florida,when I buy a car from Alabama or any state that doesn't require title this is whats required. A bill of sale,and it has to be the form from the Dmv,not on a piece of scrap paper. The last registration on the car,then A form issued to me by the Fla. DMV for an inspection by a law enforcement officer verifying the numbers match. Then they will issue me a Florida title in my name. To Jack Orchards question,yes you can get an assembled title in Fla. You have to show them reciepts for all the parts used,have it inspected for roadworthyness reasons. Then,title,fees,taxes on amount used in parts then taxes on estimated value. And when title is issued it might look like a 34 Ford but it will be titled and registered as a 2011 or when you title it. Hoops to jump through and money out the wallet but can be done. And you do have to have legit reciepts for parts used.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  14. jack orchard

jack orchard

many thanks to brad chevy. i went to motor vehicle dept to ask about an assembled title. they said i MUST have a title. i know you are correct. i printed the procedure TL-43. it clearly details the procedure to obtain title from parts. i will try again to talk to these non-caring individuals tomorow equipped with my new-found knowledge. thanks again, jack orchard

15. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

The vehicle in question for me is not a assembled from parts car, it is a complete car that runs and stops. maybe not quite road worthy but in rolling drivable resto condition. The reason it doesn't have a title is apparently there is no need for one in the state of Alabama. unfortunately this is causing me a major headache. The car has current registration but alas, I cannot buy and ship it to the U.K. without a title. :(

16. Have you spoken to people at Swansea (I think it is...)???
    They are the ones who will ultimately issue your documents.
    Also, what about "age related" registrations?? Might be some possiblities there, just as if you bought a car without a V5, no??

Alabama titles are a pain, and not accepted in Illinois, either.

Good luck.

Cosmo

17. Have you spoken to people at Swansea (I think it is...)???
    They are the ones who will ultimately issue your documents.
    Also, what about "age related" registrations?? Might be some possiblities there, just as if you bought a car without a V5, no??

Alabama titles are a pain, and not accepted in Illinois, either.

Good luck.

Cosmo

18. k9racer

k9racer

So what part of Alabama is the car located??

19. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

That is correct, i have conflicting information regarding this. If i bought a car over here without a V5 I could apply for a V5 easily. Unlike in the U.S If i bought a U.K. car without a V5 because it will have been registered in the U.K. in the past it should 99% of the time be archived within the system as our registration plates stay with the car not the owner. So it will always bare the registration it was given at birth. Unless it has been assigned a private reg in the past. So all I would have to do to obtain a V5 in the U.K. is fill in one form and pay approx $35 and they will write to the last registered owner to tell them i have applied for V5 and they have 14 days to contest ownership. As long as it is not contested I get a new V5 registered in my name.
    Because I'm importing, the car i want to buy has never been in the U.K. system so without the title to prove ownership its date of manufacture model etc I'm pretty much screwed.

I think its Birmingham, will have to check that tho.

20. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Go to the state website and print the page that states no titles are issued on 1973 and older vehicles, then take it to the appropriate person and see what they say. We had to do that for a car "imported" from Alabama to California and the DMV accepted that with the bill of sale...

21. 31 5w

31 5w

I live in Central Fl. Bought a 30 coupe from a gentelman in Birmingham 4 yrs. ago. Fl started to give me hassels about "no title" I called the gentelman, he went to Al. DMV got a copy of their " no title" older than X yrs. paperwork. Had it notorized @ the DMV ,mailed it to me. I took to Fl. DVM, they checked VIN w/ copy of Al. registration and issued title- NO Problems!

22. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Here is the link to Sema's title page. http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=titling&g=semaga

I hope that will help you.

By the way, there are many states taht will accept a bill of sale as prima fascia evidence of ownership.

Lousiana and Kansas are two that I know for sure. Of course there are restrictions on the year, i.e. prior to 1950 and other hoops, like a statement of ownership from you the buyer and a vin inspection by the police.

23. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks guys. Will explore all those revenues. And big thanks to all who have contributed.

24. Taff

Taff

Will Swansea accept the details from Al DMV? I've registered a couple of cars in UK, and on both occasions I went in person into the local DVLA (Bristol in my case) being nice and polite usually works (not saying you aren't mate, but a personnal visit to the local DVLA office to enquire to a human being face-to-face, rather than attempting to de-cypher their website)

The other option is to have a US-based friend buy it and reg it in their state, then have them sell it to you. Long-winded, but how much do you want the car

25. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

We use a local title agent to get clear title to vehicles purchased without one. This agent has an office near Birmingham AL.

If nothing else works out I would be more than happy to get the contact info for you.

26. Rem

Rem

I understand that the US authorities will not let a vehicle leave the country without a valid title with proof of the sale. That certainly was the case last year, and I'm not aware of that having changed.

27. bjf08816

bjf08816

Dont know if this has been suggested but when i was stationed in England, i bought a new car and had it imported into the country, i had to have it registered in my name then when it arrived in country i sent my paperwork in and recieved my V5 in the mail.

28. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Do you know the cost of this? An email contact would be great thanks

I have contact with a shipper who claims exporting without a title isn't a problem. Its the registration where it becomes a headache. I'm loath to spend a few grand on a car then a couple more shipping to find i have a pile of mental I cannot register.

I bought a car from a guy stationed here just last year. He still had U.S. title and had to get it noterized for transfer at the local U.S. military base.

Thats another avenue I'm considering. I have imported before but it has always been straight forward as they have always had a title. A family member has friends in Arizona. If all else fails i will ask them but at the moment i want to cross off all other possibilities before having to involve a third party. I also agree with your above statement, I always go into the D.V.L.A. in person. In fact its quite easy for me to do as I pass a large one every day.
    I'm going to try call in tomorrow with the printed out email I have received from the Alabama D.M.V.

29. Taff

Taff

cool, i know what you mean about the title making it easy!

30. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

The amount seems to be a different every time, but the most they have ever charged is about $150 USD

I will see if they have an email contact and get back to you.