Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ron Covell '27 Ford roadster buck building

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordcragar, Nov 24, 2011.

1. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The January 2012 issue of Street Rodder magazine has an article on buck building. Ron Covell shows how he is building a full body buck for a ’27 Ford roadster body. It’s a good article with lots of pictures. Ron also has made a DVD that accompanies this article; which show each step in greater detail.

2. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

3. blackprimer

blackprimer
    BANNED
    from Reality

As Ron will be using tools other than a rock and a rusty ,broken pipe wrench to build this....I don`t see how this is HAMB friendly.

4. BCR

BCR

^^^^Having a bad day?^^^^

Nice article.

5. chopt49

chopt49

I read that article 10 times! The man is a metal GOD!

I hope that I can put in my patch panels (on the '26 Roadster) and make them look factory, he builds a complete body and somehow it looks better then factory! I wanted more pictures.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

Please stop posting untill you figure out what the HAMB is about.

7. blackprimer

blackprimer
    BANNED
    from Reality

No...You ?

8. metalman

metalman

I read the artical but must admit I wondered why the buck in the first place. I respect Ron's work to no end but fail to see the purpuse of spending the time (it had to take a lot of time and materials) to build such an alaberate buck unless he plans on building multible bodies. He has a nice original for patterns. I'd make one piece at a time to match the original and start assemblely from there. What am I missing?

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The last time I talked to Ron, he mentioned that the body he was using to make the buck, was borrowed.

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

X2. He knows his stuff. I'd kill to have a quarter of his talent.

iPhone - TJJ App

11. The man has bent a lot of sheet metal to be as good as he is. I remember articles about him 100 years ago in R&C when he did the Datsun powered track roadster. Neat little car.

12. BCR

BCR

I thought the same but came to the conclusion that it was for the how to article, not to build just this one body.

13. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

A buck is a hard guide for wheeling/shaping the sheet metal,so you end up with a symmetrically shaped body.If you don't this you have no guide to shape your panels to.
    I will be building a wooden/steel buck to build my custom 'one off' aluminum body based on a 32'

my metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

14. metalman

metalman

I understand what a buck is for and would see the purpose if it was a complete custom fab but not for making a panel to match one that already exists. I didn't need to build a buck for the 32 Vicky body I built. Just a tape measure and an eyeball and it's pretty darn symmetrical.

15. mow too much

mow too much

I WISH I was only half as talented and patient as Ron. He a true craftsman.

16. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

LOL ..that is a good one

17. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

i rest my case,tape measure and eye ball and pretty darn straight??

and are you going to lay a new panel over the original one.the new panel would end up a metal thickness bigger and therefore profiles different.

if you want to do the backyard garage way,your way is totally fine,i guarantee both sides are not the same .Ron was showing us the correct professional way.

my metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

18. I'd like to say that if you ever get a chance to attend one of Ron Covell's workshops, you're in for a good time. I had a chance to go to one at Vintage Aire in San Antonio, and I had a blast. Ron is really nice, and put on a hell of a workshop. I'm hoping I get to go to the two workshops in May, where he's going to be doing a dragster body. If I know my Covell history well enough, that's how he got his start.

He had nothing but kind words for the folks here on the HAMB too; he referred to the forum many times.

[​IMG]

19. metalman

metalman

Backyard way huh. Now you have officially offended me. FWIW I've made a living bending tin for over 30 years and have a strong, happy customer base so I'd say I'm a professional. I also know several other "pros" that don't build bucks first so maybe there is more then one way to do it right.

20. willymakeit

willymakeit

One of these days I willl be able to attend one of his classes. Hopefully they will have some close to Mo.

21. inlinr6

inlinr6

Pella Iowa in Feb. I might go.

22. inlinr6

inlinr6

Jimmy I agree with you,I'm just a novice,my question would be how would you make a accurate buck without a original.if I was to build a body it would be similar but something in my vision.I was lucky to see your work at torque fest and the last Hunnert.maybe you should have classes!

23. Cabro32

Cabro32
    from Pa

Ron's video wasn't made to help you experts out, that want to keep this art a secret. I am an novice and I bought the video and it sure helped my learning curve. I was stuck on a project and the video hit the nail on the head. Thanks Ron for showing the secrets of the trade to us novices.

24. Since you live in "Reality" I am here to tell you that yours is skewed.:rolleyes:

25. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Ron just published his schedule for next year, you might check it out.

26. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

sorry it wasn't my intention to offend you in any way.

my metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon,com

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've been to two of Ron's classes, and they are invaluable.
    If nothing else, the confidence you'll walk out of there with is worth the price of admission.

-Brad

28. The_Idaho_pirate

The_Idaho_pirate

When it comes to bucks, I'll be the first to tell you I suck. I prefer to use patterns and sweeps. I'd really like to attend Ron Covell's class on bucks, but as always, the timing will be wrong this year. Maybe next year.

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

20 posts and your already an expert on what is "HAMB friendly"? As someone suggested do a little (actually a lot) study (with your hands off the keyboard) before you make such an idiotic statement.:mad:

Frank

30. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

completely idiotic reply