Register now to get rid of these ads!

GP wagon nearing completion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Jul 2, 2006.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I posted some earlier pictures of this project of Gary Minor's in response to JimA's hunt for an "interesting longroof" back in January. It's not done yet, but it's sure looking pretty close to the real deal.

Attached Files:

2. mazboi

mazboi
    from Austin, Tx

Can you give some info on this wagon? More pictures?

Thanks, Chase

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's a phantom '62 Pontiac Grand Prix 2-door wagon.

It started as a '62 Catalina wagon (4-door, like they all were). Gary used 2-door post sedan doors, moved the B-pillar, and welded up the rear doors. He found a '62 Grand Prix parts car that donated its interior parts, grille, trim, and some sheetmetal. The tailgate trim is handmade, and is Gary's notion of what a GP tailgate would have looked like. The 8-lug wheels came from another car. It's lowered about 3" all around.

The interior is all authentic GP stuff -- buckets, console, smooth column, the works. It currently runs a stock 389 2-barrel with automatic and factory air, which is not working.

Gary intends to make some further revisions to the C-pillar and more detail work throughout the car, and when that's done it will be for sale.

Attached Files:

4. Nice job, I love it.

CBB

5. I'm droolin' in my Cheerio's just lookin' at this one-off Kustom. Very tasty! I've seen quite a few interesting wagon upgrades, such as, changing a 65' Temepest wagon into a GTO and Cutlass into 442. But, these people never wacked the doors. The early 60's Nova's have been done quite a few times. Some dude around the corner from my shop, just built an 80's Malibu 2dr, from an El Camino donor car. John DeLorean would be proud!!

Maybe I Should do a Starfire wagon, but the parts are so damn hard to find to begin with. Would use this as the platform, although I almost like the lines the way they are. Shortened center window kinda looks weird???? Way cool though!! We've got some serious talent, among us, on this here message board.

JT

6. ummmm...WOW?! I really dig it. I think skinny whites are more appropriate, though. Amazing work and nice lookin ride!

7. hayduke

hayduke

Nice sleds! I kind of agree with Jake though, ideally the C-pillar should be moved back a few inches, and angled forward just a little... but that's a load of work I'm sure...

Here's a pic of one of Chevy's factiry 2-door wagons seen at the Round Up, 1959...

[​IMG]

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Like I said

9. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

I have a 62 GP the same color. I'd love to have this thing....Awesome.

Larry

10. mazboi

mazboi
    from Austin, Tx

Thanks for the info. I just bought a 64 catalina wagon and looking at this is going to get me in trouble. I would like to see more pictures as he does more.
    Chase

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Huh! looks like I might end up doing some door work!
    [​IMG]
    then I gotta find some badges...

12. hayduke

hayduke

Oh, duh! :eek:

If I were a mad fabricator I'd shorten it about 6 inches and eliminate the C-pillar completely, chop it 2-3 inches, maybe slope the back just a touch. :D

These big ass early 60's GM machines kick ass, smooth and fast!

13. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Can anyone direct me to the build thread for this wagon? I know Canada made 2dr '60 wagons but they are rare. I have a '60 USA Pontiac I may do this too and want to see how he reconfigured the side of the car to accept the sedan doors.

Here's another 2dr wagon version or a '62 Pontiac:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. ThePontiacKid

ThePontiacKid
    from VA

Never saw one of those, D'Monsta, but it looks awesome.

15. BJR

BJR

That looks more like they took a 2dr HT and put the back end of a wagon on it.

16. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Looks like the roof of one of those Buick wagons.. And by the car in the background suggests that this photo may have been taken in the early/mid '70's.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  17. koolkemp

koolkemp

I was thinking it might be a photoshop...but it is very cool!

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I love '59-'62 pontiacs, I love 8 lug Pontiac wheels, and I love coronado red. Man is that nice. Used to be a Ventura around here, coronado red, 8 lugs, and a 389/stick. I used to lust after that thing.

19. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

2 thing i really have a weak spot for wagons & 62 pontiacs! damn!!!! first real car was a 62 Catalina, paid $26 for it & drove it home.

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

A Nomadiac!!!