Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do at GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colombo, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Colombo

Colombo

Well my wife is sending me to the GNRS show this year and will be there on Friday noon. What are some of the places to check out on Friday? I might check the show for a couple hours but not sure what to do after that.
    Any good restaurants or hang outs to check out the cars that night?

2. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Burbank area. Old Crow, Hollywood Hot Rods.
    Mike Herman at H&H Flatheads in La Cresenta
    and Barris Kustoms in North Hollywood.

Scott Bonowski and Dante at Hot Rods & Hobbies in Signal Hill,
    Whittier-Steve Dennish at Lime Works,
    Petersen Museum
    Lunch at Philippes (Awesome)

Jimmy White at Circle City in Orange,
    Chrisman in Santa Ana,
    Ed Iskenderian at Isky Cams in Gardena,
    Doug Carr at The Wood N Carr,
    Brad Masterson in Lynwood,
    Bill Hines in Lakewood,
    Take in the sights of Compton on the way to the Watts Towers (Art diversion)
    Big Bobs Broiler for the Wed. night car cruise

Jack Rudy at Tatooland in Anaheim, Wait till dark.
    Early Ford Store in San Dimas
    and The NHRA Museum.

Slim

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You're not doing GNRS for a couple anything. Plan on going all day Saturday and enjoying the shit out of the show. There is no other show that displays that kind of talent on that kind of a scale. It's awesome.

Friday night Hit up the Peterson Museum as soon as you get their and then keep your eyes open for any speed shop open houses. Later on go to Bob's Big Boy to hang and eat.

Try to hit up the NHRA Museum on Saturday if you can. I've always wanted to and never have. It's butted right up again GNRS.

4. John Denich

John Denich

ya if you only manage to spend a few hours at the GNRS....you may not be a car guy!

5. badshifter

badshifter

You might check out the show Friday? Dude! Most of us can't get there soon enough or stay late enough! Find a good restaurant or cruise night near your house, and get your butt to the show!

6. erlomd

erlomd

totally agree...it is bar none the best hot rod show ive ever been to. not just its grand scale, its more of the quality of cars that go to that show is unbelievable...best of the best...I always spend the whole day there, when your tired...sit for a while at the glide seats booth..lol (i do that all the time)
    i wouldn't recommend you eat there...long lines for crappy expensive carnival food and beer.
    and the museum is open at the same time so you should hit it up at while at the show.
    hit up bobs big boy (especially the one in burbank/taluca lake) friday night is cruise night for a very special car overload day!
    if thats too far for you, ive seen a cool cuban restaurant close to the stadium for some good ol' pork, rice and black beans....whenever im in pamona i usually eat fast food...pamona isn't really known for their culinary treasures....well, from what I know

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  7. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

My guess is that you will stay longer than 2 hrs on Friday..so much to see, people to talk to. Have a couple of beers! Keep on eye on this board for Shop open houses, get togethers.

8. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

There are 2 really good restaraunts on Foothill Blvd west of the Fairplex (very probably many more but these 2 stand out to me).

1. Mama Petrillo's....excellent Italian food. They have a tomato and cucumber slad that's awesome. We buy their salad dressing by the case.

2. Pinnacle Pete's Steak house. Don't wear a tie. Good steaks. Reasonable prices.

9. TomH

TomH

NHRA Museum opens a 10 and the show at noon on Friday. We always go the museum from 10 till noon and then the show Friday and Sat. Do most of the shop tours on Thu.

10. jick

jick
    from london

dude....i flew out from the UK last year by myself, hooked up with loads of different people i didnt know, went to various parties etc and had about 3 hours sleep over 3 nights.
    flew back feeling so so ill.
    I had the time of my life...

"might check out the show for a couple of hours" ?? thats just not right man..... have fun!

11. brad2v

brad2v

I went last year for the first time, and would be going again this year if I had the dough. I guarantee you will be more than a couple hours Friday. I managed a sneak peak on Thurs, open 'til close on Friday (less a couple hour supper break), and most of the day Saturday. I did manage a visit to the Early Ford Store, but had no chance of doing the NHRA museum. Sensory overload.

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Maybe you can find a craft fair going on somewhere in downtown Pomona? Although I find it hard not to spend a coupl'a hours in any one building....good luck.

13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

GearheadBill....your roadster is perfection.

14. There's not enough hours in an entire 3-day weekend to see everything at the GNRS. That show is freakin' awesome, and every year, it gets bigger. I concentrated on trying to hit all the buildings last year and missed a ton of cool stuff outside. Be prepared to walk alot. Leave your spike-heeled stilletto boots at home.

As far as stuff to do, there are a lot of local shops (like So-Cal Speed Shop) that have open houses on Friday before the show. Never done that, but they usually have free food!

As far as food, there's lots of stuff around the Fairplex. Don't eat inside, you'll go broke. It's crap food like you see at the county fair. We usually have a routine where we hit the Del Taco on Sierra for breakfast, and hit the In-N-Out on our way home. Cheap, good California food.

If you want to do something else besides car stuff on your trip, Jeems idea of a craft fair is excellent. If that doesn't float your boat, then maybe the Mexican Civil War re-enactment at the Pacoima City Park might be the ticket! Just remember to call the local host club to find out what colors you need to wear.

15. So whats the deal,Im thinkin of maybe drivin my 56 chevy over for the week (gotta hit Bobs BROILER)is there decent parking at GNRS so I dont have to park next to some asshat in his beat 99 tojota?? kinda like the LA Roadsters have??

16. Colombo

Colombo

OK, I am going for a couple hours on Friday and all day Saturday. I checked some places as we are staying in Pomona and everything is 35 to 50 minutes away from the hotel. How bad will traffic be to get to Bobs Broiler or the Peterson Museum?

17. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

As you may have gathered this is not the usual Walmart parking lot show you are used to. Traffic is awful. Getting from Pomona to the Wilshire District for the Peterson is a couple of hours on a Friday, same with Bobs Toluca Lake(Burbank). Just steps to the NHRA. One of the good suggestions is to do the NHRA at 10 on Sat. morning, buy your ticket(adds a $5 donation) and walk out the door at noon for the show.

DW

18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Thank you. Not mine anymore but it was a really good car.

19. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Last year I spent all three days at the show and managed not to get bored, and I'm pretty sure I still didn't see every car there. I think Slim Pickens covered most of the places that are great to hit up, but I think you'll find yourself at GNRS for hours chatting with owners, looking at cars...buying things you may or may not need

20. big creep

big creep

X2!!!! sooo much to see! i see things i miss the first time i walk around!

21. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

there's plenty to look at and get inspiration.I will be flying in from Colorado and spending pretty much the weekend there.

my metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

22. abc123

abc123

Go ahead, wear a tie and see what happens!

23. big creep

big creep

you'll be in traffic all day, and to tired from the drive when you get there, just enjoy the show. to that other stuff another time!

24. uncle buck

uncle buck

I agree on Pinacle Petes. It is not far from The Early Ford Store , which is also a must do stop and both are close by Pomona. Don't forget Waldens and So-Cal Speed Shop too.