Register now to get rid of these ads!

What voltage reg.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedo1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. speedo1

speedo1

O.K., I have finally started my lil' Hemi (241) after a long rebuild. Orig. 6v system, I am now running a rebuilt Delco-Remy 12v generatoer. After initial break-in, it appears my sytem is not charging. The gener. has output, I think the problem is my new VR. Now, I am running a 12v VR from a 55 Dodge. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, is this compatible with Delco-Remy? Does it matter? I polarized the VR according to the instructions inside the box? Do I need to run a GM 12v regulator? Thanks for any info. and your patience :).

2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

There are two circuits for generator voltage regulators. "A" circuit regulators make the generator charge by completing the field circuit to ground. "B" circuit regulators feeds the field positive to complete the circuit and make the generator charge.
    Chrysler cars and trucks(Autolite/Prestolite generators) used both types of regulators A and B. General motors used A circuit regulators. Long story short get a GM regulator to make sure you have an A circuit regulator. GM #1119305 for a low amp generator(32 to 36amp) or #1119619 for a hi amp generator(48 to 52 amp).

Hope this helps

3. kisam

kisam

I just went through this so let me save you some time. (I need to do a tech on this) You have to have a voltage regulator that matches or it won't work. Delco is Chevy so I would look for a mid 50's voltage regulator. I suspect that you maybe able to interchange Chevy/Delco and Chrysler/Autolite voltage regulators but am not for sure. Everything you need to know is here.

http://www.vintagejeepparts.com/PDFs/INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING VOLTAGE REGULATORS.pdf

4. If your regulator is 12 volt it is not for a '55 Dodge as they still had a 6 volt system.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you have converted to 12 volts it doesn't matter which brand of 12V generator that you choose to use to replentish your 12V battery but the VR must match the generator that you select. VRs are not generic. Fords VRs don't work with GMs etc. etc.

They call it a "charging system"...The charging system parts must match for them to work as a system. Other than that you are pissing in the wind.

If you have not converted to 12Vs, why would you select a 12V generator?

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I believe you also need to know if generator is internally or externally grounded.. The last one I used had to have the voltage regulator mounted in rubber......

7. speedo1

speedo1

Thanks for the direction, sorry I wasn't a liitle more clear. I have a 12v generator and a 12v VR. The generator is GM ( Delco-Remy), the VR is a Dodge 12v application. As I suspected, this may be the problem. I will put a GM VR into the system, polarize, and see what happens from there. Thanks for the input!This is a complete build that is going in a T-bucket, so I didn't want 6V.