Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Pontiac project.....I might need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryguy442, Aug 15, 2011.

1. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

Sorry for your loss bro. I, too, own a 60 Pontiac that was a wedding gift from my dad. When, or if, he passes, this car will help to keep his memory alive. The poor thing had to hitch a ride on a rollback yesterday. It just breaks my heart but just can't seem to find the time to give her some much needed TLC.

Here she is:

Attached Files:

2. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Beautiful car! I know what it's like to not have enough time to work on your own car. I finally decided enough was enough and made time. I'll never get it done if I don't work on it. I still do side work but it to fund this project.

Ryan

3. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Don't worry man, everyone thought the rollback was just transporting your bad ass '60 Pontiac so that other lame ass street drivers wouldn't bang it up.. I dig those wheels and tires on that car, too.

4. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

I agree, those wheels and tires look good on that 60. I'm thinking about changing mine to stealies with dog dish caps. I wanna keep the same tire sizes. I dont know yet, what do you guys think?

5. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Hope you had a good Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

6. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

You too! I had a pretty good Christmas, got a bunch of tools I needed. Doesn't look like I'll get much done this weekend. I'm going to work on getting the garage cleaned up.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1325282735.795214.jpg
    Iv been having problems with the sheet rock on the ceiling of my garage, who ever hung it hung it the wrong way so now it sags and iv had two sheets fall. I have some guys coming to re-do the sheet rock and insulate it in there, as soon as I get it cleaned out enuff to do it.

Ryan

7. MistShift

MistShift

Happy New Year, Ryan. Hope 2012 is a good one and can't wait to see the Poncho kicking ass. Your ride has huge style, keep your derriere in gear and finish 'er up.

8. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hope you have a good new years too mistshidt! I'm so ready to end this year, been my toughest year yet. But I got hopes that next year will be better. Maybe this big boat might go down the road this year.

9. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Well did a lot of cleaning today. But did find the time to get out the gas tank and have a look inside, looks nice and clean. I had been worrying about it being rusty in there because I took the tank out 4 years ago. But looks good just alittle bit of dust from sand blasting, should be easy to clean. I also pulled the front rims off because I'm going to change the tire size tomorrow to help lower it and game some room for it to turn.

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

Sorry to hear about your Dad I'm really close to my father too and don't even want to think about that day.

11. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Ryan, I have a restoration and performance shop in Boone, If you need any help with anything, or getting or finding parts, or need someone to run by and help, give me a yell! or just PM me... either way...

12. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks, I wish you and your dad the best and many many more years together.

13. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Sorry no updates lately, been trying to get the garage fixed up. Motivation is running alittle low right now. I did order some parts for the front end, hope that gets me going again.

Ryan

14. Keep at it, when you can.......progress is progress!.....as the rest of the guys have been saying, your Dad's keeping a eye on you and he'll always be with you!.....you were blessed to have a Dad, that was not only a car guy, but who also spent time with you!......mine never did......lucky for me my 2 sons, 28 and 21 are also car junkies like me.....and we are in the process of opening up our own shop as well. I wish you all the best with your goals to get your own shop, If you desire it bad enough, it will happen!!....good luck with your poncho build, consider me suscribed!...
    I really love the late 50's early 60's models.....awesome styling for the day!.....later young'n!.......Doug

15. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks for the kind words Doug! I'm goin to back to work on as soon as I get my parts

16. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Ok guys got an update finally!
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1332625857.329142.jpg
    The front suspension is all torn off. I got the control arms blasted, and painted with por15. They came out nice.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1332625918.289671.jpg
    I'll keep you guys updated on any progress.
    Ryan

Attached Files:

17. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

There it is with the spindle and arms with the brackets for the disc conversion.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1332843940.769250.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1332843960.871593.jpg

18. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Ok! Here is the finished product... Well minus the springs and brake lines. I still gotta do the other side, but I'm very happy with this conversion kit. It uses 12inch rotors off a 77 Pontiac wagon and calipers off a 69 gto. This thing should stop very well.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1332887736.260501.jpg

19. 36 poncho

36 poncho
    from ny

I am liking the disc brake conversion-
    wonder if it fit's behind the stock 15" steel wheels.
    I have been thinking of the swap, should call and find out.
    this is my '60, 389-4 speed stick 3-2's
    It was a long road but I dig it 60.jpg

20. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Nice car I like the scoop. The brakes will work with a 15" rim but only post 71 wheels. But for the price I was very happy with it

21. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

22. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Sounds great..

23. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

IT's Alive! summer is here get it drive-able so you can enjoy it!!!

24. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks the plan! Might take awhile still a alot to do. I'd love to have it driving to the myrtle beach show next spring. Sooner then that would be great tho

25. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

worth saving. keep at it!

26. impala4speed

impala4speed

Ryan,
    Just want to say you've got a great project there. I've always liked these cars a lot. I was actually looking for a '60-'62 when I found my non-HAMB '66 Impala convert. The price was so good it had to follow me home. Still got a soft spot for early '60's Pontiacs. I'll be watching this one for sure. You're doing a great job with it.

I also lost my dad last summer, then my mom passed two months later. I know what you're going through. Hang in there. They tell me it gets better with time, I'm sure it will.
    Keep up the great work.

27. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Thanks for the compliments on the car! I think they are really a great looking car. I'm very sorry to hear about you losing you parents.... I couldn't imagine. Just gotta keep moving forward.

Well it's show and tell time. I got the spindle and all the suspension back on the passenger side. Looks good and came together pretty easy.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1336253605.166452.jpg

Now I need to get some springs (hope to do that this weekend) and get some sway bar bushings. I want to get the front end on the ground as soon as I can. Then I'll start plumbing the brakes. I can't wait to take it down the dirt road!

Ryan

28. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

I got my springs Sunday, thanks Michael!
    View attachment 1633822

I started by cutting a fill coil out and seeing where that makes it sit. It was still just alittle to high, to I took another 1/2 a coil out. Now it's sitting pretty nice. I'm sure it will settle alittle more after a wile. If its still not quite where I want it I might take another 1/4 of a coil out. Hard to tell in the pic.

View attachment 1633832

Well I'm making some progress, so I
    happy. I got some sway bar bushing on the way. Still need to order some shocks I'm not sure what kind I wanna get yet. Might get some air shocks to add some adjustably to the stiffness in the front. After all that's done time to make some brake lines and figure out how to hook up the driveshaft to the 8.8

Ryan

29. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

30. DRH

DRH

Ryan, very sorry for your loss. I have the same relationship with my dad and while he has not passed yet, he has smoked himself nearly there and while we butt heads about our current project (a 55 oldsmobile 88) I want him around, even if we are screaming at each other. Your dad is watching you and you have such an awesome car there. Working on that car right now is wonderful therapy and will help you cope. Good luck to you.