Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mcphails fairlane wrecked....totaled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by finkd, Dec 5, 2011.

1. MistShift

MistShift

Got the insurance reference re: totaled.... the owner should make sure he doesn't give up the car for the cheque though, unless the cheque is long n strong. Not sure how insurance co,'s work in the US.

2. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

If thats totaled I've been working on totals all my life. It's bad but not totaled.

3. khead47

khead47

It will buff out! But seriously, doesn't look that bad.

4. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

If thats totaled I've been working on totals all my life. A door might be hard to find but the quarter can be strightened. It doesn't look like there are any moldings to replace. Its a bad deal to get hit but it's worth it when you drive them instead of hauling them.

5. 'Tis but a scratch.

I'd gladly drive that car as it is now.

6. Yeah, it doesn't look totaled......but think about it--- replace door with a good rust-free piece, do the custom body work on the door(round rod), replace or mega-hours on the quarter, same deal with the round rod, plus the wheel opening, plus the fact that the rear glass was moved forward(another can of worms?)....add in the unseen front damage....add in duplicating the custom paint(Jeff I bet doesn't work cheap--why should he..he's an artist;))....All that is a big sack of cash(what's paint like that worth? 5k? 8k? 10k+?) Dennis had the car priced at 22k last time I sawthe ad....insurance deems total loss at around 70% of the value....
    Economically, it's totalled. Repair-wise, it's a chance for somebody to rebuild a 'famous' car for peanuts.

7. RichG

RichG

Man, posting that as a complete total here, with some of the absolute junk that's been turned into gems, is actually quite funny. Someone should snag that puppy and put it back together.

8. davidh73750

davidh73750

OUCH I cringed seeing this post before opening. I've seen this car at many show and it was built just up the road from my home town. Gambino was crusing it at last years kkoa. what a shame.

9. What my painter pal said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10. I would imagine the problem of it being totaled stems from possibly not have Agreed Value insurance. If he had standard insurance or even stated value, the insurance company will look at what a 1960 Ford is worth and then total it out if the damage estimate goes over a certain percentage (usually somewhere near 70%, although that can vary). They will use actual cash value based on similar year, model, and condition cars and in most cases customizing or aftermarket parts are NOT taken into account unless the policy was written with these modifications being a basis for a higher ACV (and premium). It's easy to see how the insurance company could total it in that case.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

totalled is an insurance term. insurance companies would value that car at about $800.00. that's what insurance does, they take your money and then see how they can screw you when you get a claim.

12. triumphtony

triumphtony

Damn, that sucks!!! Hope it all works out for him.

13. scrape

scrape

if that were my car and the accident wasnt my fault i would have rolled out of that car holding my neck yelling call an ambulance call an ambulance! haha..

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

that'll buff out

yah, its bull shit that it happened, but its not beyond fixable

hell if that were the case half the shit i had was totaled than when I got it! and I didnt let that stop me

15. WOW! Even if the Ins Co totals it,I think it would still be worth fixing. That's just a shame...

16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks nasty but not totaled to me.

17. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Bummer. You could give that car to Jim Sibley with a pack of chewing gum,a pound of ten penny nails,some sandpaper,and a roll of dental floss and he'd have it show ready in a week.

18. carbuilder

carbuilder

We fix them a lot worse then that in my shop. We just did a 60 starliner a few months ago & have another coming in Feb or March.

19. I wanna be at the insurance auction were that thing sales as a total.......

20. If that's totaled I'm getting out of the car business.

Replace 1 door & repair the quarter panel!?!?

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

yup..what he said..if you're paying someone else to do all the work I can see how it could be considered " totaled"...Just a quarter and a door..but there's lot of time and money involved to getting it back to what it was

22. S.F.

S.F.

totalled? wtf, throw a door on it, fix the quarter...and repaint it. Thats just a fender bender. NOT totalled

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i'll join the club of guys who were trying to find a way to buy it. but i'd have had to sell my dad's car to get it, and i just wasn't willing to. i love that car. i hope someone brings it back.

24. Insurance companies used to use 75% of ACV (actual cash value). Now many companies go to 85% of ACV and there are some that will go to 100%.

There are not that many hours (less than 90) of repair there even with the customizing and even a famous shop like the Ring Brothers have an hourly rate of $58.00 p/hr.

My experience tells me that it will live to see another car show.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  25. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

OKAY GUYS, The reason I say it is totaled is because most insurance adjusters don't klnow how to write an estimate on something like this and they tend to total out kustoms just because of the huge suplement that the average shop is going to submit, due to not knowing what all was done body changes wise. And the fact that most body men won't do the changes I did for a fraction of the hours I have in this car, and then theres the paint, most painters are going to run away from it because they have no idea what color or brand of paint, let alone the 8 different pearls and 3 flakes that I used to create this, and then theres the fact that the owner is going to be pickey about the repair that the guy is shooting in the dark on, so can it be sucessfully matched by anyone other then me? maybe, I've match other peoples kustom mix of kandies, but I work really cheap and love a challenge, just to prove I can do it, not bragging just stating I am usually willing to take something like this on just to prove to myself that I am on my game. The average repair shop worker is not interested in a pitty job and just wants to make big money. So my money is on the insurance co. totaling this car, we will find out in time if I'm right. i doubt that they will want to pay transport fees to bring it back to kansas from nyc!

26. Looks like an excuse to change up the color scheme to me, it doesn't even look so bad that the door can't be opened.

27. brad chevy

brad chevy

Just because you built it doesn't mean another good bodyman and fabricator can't redo the car. If the insurance company totals it the owner has 1st dibs on buying it back. That car can be fixed and it doesn't have to be by any certain person. Its a car,it doesn't have DNA. You definitely did a good job on the car but it can be fixed by someone else. No insurance company in their right mind is going to fall for the deal that it can only be fixed by you.

28. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

It got hit by a women tour bus driver from Pennsy, while it was parked,I got this picture off the current owners facebook page........Rich

Attached Files:

29. ryno

ryno

Funny how most of you gus don't even relieze that your busting the guys balls who built this fine ride,let alone one of the best body men around. If Jeff was given the chance and a huge budget to fix I ,I'm confident he could do a kick ass job as he did the first go around,but really why? Who would want to drop another 30k in a car you just bought for 20k,just guessing in the prices? To have it back and wait another year for essentially the same car back?

30. ryno

ryno

Re read what he wrote again.
    He never said only he could fix it!