Register now to get rid of these ads!

History >>>The Starlite Coupe: 1964 Buffalo Autorama Winner<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Nov 23, 2011.

1. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That car rules as is. Hardcore.

3. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

It is Kool as hell but the paint in the pic's looks WAY WAY Worse then it did on TV

4. A true survivor in all its glory, should be left alone. Perhaps repaired if needed, but not modified from its glory days. My opinon.
    [​IMG]

5. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Feel like I'm being played here. This thread pops up, then I go to ePay and it's listed there. Turn on "Chasing Classic Cars" where it get's auctioned for $30k. Is someone creating a buzz? It's a great car, but I have to agree that rad shell is fugly, even though it's period.

6. von birch

von birch

hahaha i was tryin to think of the right word to describe the grille shell...FUGLY is the only word to describe it. but i dig the car itself and the history!

7. Blind Faith

Blind Faith
    from Buffalo

o Bill Leslie purchased the coupe from Greg Gillis, a college classmate of mine back in 1962. I’m not sure of the price but it was either $250 or $450 (and mine was $250, Greg had 2). Bill wasn’t old enough to drive at the time (probably only 14 or 15 at the oldest). He and his older brother Don completely rebuilt the car doing what we now call a body off in their garage that was attached to the house and their father’s office. No fancy tools and welders like we have now most everything was done by hand. Bill painted the car in Lacquer paint with a small one-lung compressor (don’t think it even had a tank) that his mom had for doing ceramics. That grill shell that has received so many comments was hand formed by Bill to fit the line of the visor, and as I recall out of stainless. It was very heavy because I held it in place while he put the bolts in the night before the Autorama. The trunk area had 4 hand made drawers that contained tools inlayed in either fiberglass or Styrofoam I don’t rember which. There were no wiring harnesses from painless, everything was hand wired and hidden from view one at a time. The frame was altered and boxed and the front axle was sagged in order to get the car as low as possible. There weren’t many wheels available at the time just chrome reversed, moons baby moons, or the spiders that Bill chose. Mag wheels were few and far between. M&T had a bolt together mag and I’m not sure if Crager were even out yet. The gas tank was hand formed out of fiberglass (apparently used in boats of the day). Over time the resin broke down and the tank leaked by the time I considered buying it from Bill just before he moved to Cal. in the mid 80s.
    Unfortunately I did not have a very good camera so the old color pictures that appear on different sights that were taken at the show and in Don & Bills driveway aren’t very good. The last time I rode in the car was in the summer of ’64 when I was on leave from the army. I remember having to take my shoes off before I got in and Bill being upset that the headers had blued from the exhaust heat. It was a fun ride.

Stogy likes this.
  8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow!!! Thanks so much Blind Faith!!! That's incredible when you can get a 1st hand account of an old Hot Rod. Great to hear from you!!!

Next time I'm in Buffalo perhaps we can meet up. I'd love to talk to you about the early days of Hot Rodding in Buffalo.

9. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Love the stance! cool coupe, as for the grill shell???

10. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Here's a few more photos of the car including some early build shots and some from the 1964 Buffalo Autorama........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the rotating color wheel and white marble chips across the floor......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2010 There was a little tuck-n-roll pad on the brake pedal in '64 that went missing...otherwise untouched.

T-Bird wheel and pedals....'33/'34 dash...Town & Country Radio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to local drag racer Richard Siepel who took the build photos and Autorama photos as a teenager back in 1963/64 and kept the negatives all these years.

And a big thanks again to the Rod and Customs of Buffalo Club for rolling out the welcome mat for the Starlite's return in 2009....45 years after it disappeared.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  11. M.Edell

M.Edell

Such a Bad Ass Coupe, not too crazy about the grille..still Bitchin!

12. colorado51

colorado51

13. drfreeze

drfreeze

yep Ford 2000 rad shell

Attached Files:

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I think everything work so well in this car, i love the rear pan w/ the chrome bar. The grille could work too, just needs a little vertical sectioning, then this car would be puurfect.

15. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

i hope to build a replica of this car. I actually like the grill. I get what he was trying to do with it. its perfect in my eyes. If I was rich, id buy it and drive it and leave it untouched.

16. vividlyvintage - I see from your profile that you are a "Metal Fabricator" ... is that some kind of code-speak for "HVAC sheet metal worker"? :rolleyes: :D ...

Ceiling-Mount Industrial Heater.jpg Hot-Water-Air-Heater.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

ct1932ford likes this.
  17. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

lmao haha no. I worked at a restoration shop in Hayward building and repairing mustang and shelby sheet metal. but thats hilarious

18. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

wow! originally being an "upstater. this all brings back memories, even "lived" in ransomville. at least at that time it had a blinker light! "small town usa"

19. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I am from Olean NY (south of Buffalo) moved to Denver in 76.I also went to the shows and rod runs in Buffalo in early 70's.I don't recall seeing it either. If we run into each other around here give me a hollar.I have the gold Airflow. --- WKBW radio = Suuuunnnn Day Niagara! Those were the days!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Anybody know where the car is or who owns it now? Just seen it pop back up on Chasing Classic Cars tonight.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think the last auction were is sold for $17,000 was on the West Coast. It may be a period piece, but it isn't at all good looking with that home made grille, IMO. Bob

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah it's fugly but I'd trade anyone of my cars to own it. If I can find an owner I might just see if he/she is interested in something of mine. Damn it I love it and I don't care who knows it!

23. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

24. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Hey guys, was watching a re-run of the Mecum Auction yesterday and there was a late 50s gold colored Studebaker truck which was all original AND the Grille was almost exactly the grille used on the Starlight Coupe.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Who owns this car now? Is the owner on the HAMB? DOES HE WANT A '33 FORD 3w in trade? Man I am just ate up over this car. It's too cool.

26. That's the Polish in you, Brah! :eek::D

Actually it IS a cool piece of East Coast history, kinds like Rich's Survivor roadster!

27. TripleJInc

TripleJInc

28. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

He's asking $40k

29. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I just watched a rerun of this Chasing Classic Cars episode. Anyone know where this car is today? Does the guy that stole the car for $17k still own it?

30. mailhead32

mailhead32

chryslerfan55 likes this.