Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chain drive steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kduke54, Dec 3, 2011.

1. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

I am a big guy over 300 pounds. So my little 47 Chevy truck was a tight fit. My builder Paul Kilcrease fixed that with a chain drive on my steering. It has a shorty Ididit column straight to the dash. So the dash got ripped out and a new one is being built. Paul does nice work. The chain drive was purchased from Speedway Motors. I could not find one on Jegs or Summit Racing.

Attached Files:

2. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

Here are the pics from before.

Attached Files:

3. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Cool. I could see using that in a small roadster. I'm a large individual as well, so I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for posting.

4. Good idea. I've seen it done on roundy round cars but nothing as clean as that.

Little guys like me forget that these old cars were not designed for people built with modern stature.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks good, THOUGH, NSRA and such wont safety certify a chain driven steering system.
    Friend built a COE and had to run a pair of double roller chains to steer it. Nobody would consider it safe.

6. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

good idea, i like it.

7. dirt oval car use to do it for center steering in the 60's using a single chain

8. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Why?????
    Im not to small my self,52 pickup no problemos!"

9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

wall the press this manufactured system's been getting I can't imagine NSRA tech's won't approve it--altough I can see them not approving a home built rig. all that aside, screw NSRA. yeah I'm one of those people.

10. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

The engine compartment is small. So to bypass the headers and raise the steering column the chain drive was necessary. I measured it and now I have as much room as my Yukon. Not as much leg room though. It looks really safe and solid to me.

The old column was out of a S10. It was worn out and poorly installed. This seems a lot better. I can't wait to drive it.

BY the way I think these are smaller than the 52s. The column comes pretty much straight up. Now it is more horizontal like a modern truck.

11. Another thing I've seen a lot on old circle trackers is a complete timing chain set used as a 2:1 steering quickener....:eek:

12. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Looks like a good solution for many applications.

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You know, at first I thought "WTF???"
    But I got to looking at it, and I'm thinking that if the engine is timed with a chain and gears, I don't know why this is a bad idea.
    Hell, the OEs are talking about Steer By Wire now. I feel a lot better about a chain than electrons and servos.
    It's not like it's a bicycle chain in there.

-Brad

Bubba1955 likes this.
  14. 26 FlatRod

26 FlatRod

That is really sweet. I plan to do that in my 26 roadster. Need all foot room I can get in that thing. Thanks for the pics

15. re49

re49

Old driver education cars with dual steering used chain set-ups. I saw a 60 Plymouth in a wrecking yard once done like that.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My best friend in Texas had one of those and they are cramped for guys who aren't all that big let alone the 4/5 X guys.

17. Dragon Wagons

Dragon Wagons
    from SLC, Utah

18. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

I read an artical about this product a couple of years ago. One of those times when I said" Why didnt I think of that"? Glad it works for you.

19. Greezeball

Greezeball

Chain is alot stronger than most people realize. I use chain similar in size to this to actuate isolation gates that handle tons of material ( 9-12 ton/hr) without any issue. This should last forever in this aplication.

20. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

Thanks for the feedback. I have another issue. It has 450 hp 383 stroker. I need to add posi track. I want to change the wheels to American Racing.

1. I could go pro street with some really wide wheels if I tub it and shorten the back axle.
    2. I can get 17x10.5 inch wide with mini tubs and same axle. Add posi too.
    3. I can just add the posi and put 17x8.5 inch wide. This would leave the wood bed unmolested.

Need to get the gas tank and battery out of the bed. I prefer the black wheels but the widest they have is 10.5 inches. The really wide ones are only in chrome. I also probably need to add a 4 link with option one. So I could only afford to do that next year. Limited budget leaves 2 and 3 as only options short term.

Links:
    http://www.wheelsforless.com/SearchResult.aspx?Keywords=105mb78 17x8 black
    http://www.wheelsforless.com/SearchResult.aspx?Keywords=VN51578 17x8 Chrome

Attached Files:

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Its called a Steer Clear, and I will be using one in my '29 Sedan right next to my size 15 steel toe boots.

Those that are scared away from chain-drive steering might want to recheck their rubber rag joints and roll pins in their steering as well. Just sayin'

22. Willy301

Willy301

I built a chain drive steering on my O/T project, I used #40 agricultural chain along with the sprockets you weld to the hub so you can match the sprocket size to the shaft without machining everything. They use this chain on critical drive systems on heavy ag equipment, under the conditions I am using it, it isn't even strained.

On the wheels, you could get the chromies and have them powder coated... just a thought...

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

i got a 41 willys glass car with steering issues. i plan on running one of those also. i would make life so much easier with the steeringshaft under the headers and thats where that steerclear would put it.been lokin at it for over a year but with a 799. price tag for a polished unit its gonna have to wait.ive been trying to fiqure out how to build one my self i was gonna use 2 crank gears and a double roller chain. with a built in tensioner but i kinda got stump. but i havent given up.and this cars gonna be raced. 1950chevy suburban said the same thing ive been saying to my son all along.its got to be better than most of the rag joints ive seen on alot of doorslammers.

24. B Blue

B Blue

When I was a kid, my grandfather had a Graham Bradley tractor with chain steering. As I remember, it was very much like a timing chain. It was worn out, had lots of play and would jump teeth, just like a timing chain does. So the concept does not leave me with a lot of feel good vibes.

Double that for one made with #40 chain, #60 maybe.

I haven't checked recently, but aren't electric steering arrangements power assist? And those rag joints are usually built so that if the rag fails, there is not a total steering failure.

Bill

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You're right about the rag failing, but it's still steering thru a rubber biscuit.
    I'm probably going to build my own steerclear and it'll be dual chain, accessible and serviceable. Enclosed and lubricated. I would worry more about internal steering box failure than a lightly torqued chain failure.

26. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

It aint cheap is it?

27. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

"I am a big guy over 300 pounds"

[QUOTE =Little guys like me forget that these old cars were not designed for people built with modern stature.[/QUOTE]

????!!!!!!!, I tried not to comment, but I'm going to have to be that "guy"!

Since you're not talking about squeezing into a model T, there may be another fix besides a chain drive column...

Any of my buisness, maybe not, but someone should say it.

28. We used a "Steer Clear" unit when building Winfield's '32 roadster. It works great and solved a lot of space issues. Gene went around at 219 Mph at Bonneville. The spin pulled the wheel out of his hands. The Steer Clear held up fine.

29. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

That sounds good enough for me. I think my questions on the 4 link is it worth it. It is a very stiff ride. They are going to remove a leaf. That should soften the ride some. I have never owned anything with a 4 link or even any car or truck like this before. I am new to all this. The truck is getting more comfortable with the chain drive. The truck is just a daily driver, not a show truck or for racing. Not sure if a 4 link buys me much. If it was your money would you add the 4 link?

30. Clik

Clik

A bycycle chain is dinky and yet you put your entire body weight on it pedaling up a hill. For those wanting to build their own chain drive steering, Harley Davidson used a double row primary chain and offered several drive sprocket sizes. You won't break that in a lifetime. Off-road 4X4 guys are using a hydraulic cylinder. It's not approved by DOT unless backed up mechanically but then Hot Rods and Historics don't usually need to be inspected. I don't know why they won't approve 100% hydraulic steering; anyone who has lost hydraulic assist on a big rig with float tires will tell you it's almost impossible to steer anyway. Brakes are hydraulic and we trust them. With hydraulics you can run hose anywhere; no worries about snaking linkage through headers.