Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Here is a couple pix of Don at South Glens Falls Dragway.Oct 3,1965

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. J.T.Mays

J.T.Mays

looks like a nice build. PM me i might have the glass doors you are looking for.

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;have you been able to work on the Falcon? ROY.

4. awesome start man, here is a pic of my dads 64 falcon gasser.. good luck with your build subscribed.. keep us updated i have a 65 falcon sprint they a good little car
    cheers

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5. I had a neighbor call about the other 64 falcon I had on the side of my house and city code compliance sent me a notice saying I had ten days to move it out of my driveway even though it is currently registered, it does not have an engine so it is deemed inoperable .. So that one is now in my garage and my racecar is on the side... I wish the neighbors would just send me a note or even just talk to me in person!*

Anyways I have been working on the fiberglass fenders and got all the bolt holes drilled out on one of them and cleaned up, I will post some pictures later today. Those Crites fenders are made of very sturdy fiberglass!

Dylan that is a cool looking car! Are those original halibrands? Or what kind of wheels are those? What's is running for power? For some reason I thought that car had a bbc? Thanks for the replies.

Mike

6. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

I like your ideas for this car! Red, white and blue would be awesome on there (reminds me of the times those cars were running around).

Too bad your photshop skills are as sucky as mine. ;)

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;code enforcement nazis are very active in our town! I have had more than my share of problems with them.To make a point with them I went around my neighborhood and listed all the garage conversions[illegal here],all the unregistered vehicles on the street[seven]and the two trailers in the street that had not moved in months[weeds growing and trash under them.I called them in,if the city is going after me then they need to get everyone,which they did!I still must play by the rules but so should my neighbors! ROY.

8. hey mike,

im not to sure if they are the orginals or not i would have to find out.. yup your right its a bbc.. 454 now running down the strip in new zealand...

hey a bit of a silly question maybe.. would a commet air ram hood fit onto a 65 falcon pm a reply if you dont want to put it up on this post just to keep on topic
    :):)

cheers dylan

9. Classic pictures Bucksnort.....and here's another classic picture of Donny and me at my ELTA Club Shop Party this pass Aug.........Donny's going on 70 now and is still going strong.

Attached Files:

10. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Sixty-Five and up Fairlanes were also BIG cars compared to 64 and older Fairlanes and Comet/Falcons.

11. Drive Em

Drive Em

Cool picture of the race car, it reminds me of cars my dad raced when I was a kid.

12. One benefit to being single is working in your warm livingroom next to the fire, on car parts. The crites fenders come solid, with no fender holes drilled. They are dimpled where the holes need to be. I drilled out the holes, then used a hand file to get the correct shape. One of those not so glamorous parts of a build, but details are what makes great cars to me.

Attached Files:

13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Actually 62-65 Fairlanes are all the same family. They changed in 66

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I have not used the Falcon fenders but on the 65 Comet ones I had to relocate the drivers side lower mount.Crites had it too high which lowered the fender,was not a big deal to do.I have found Crites pieces to generally be well built and solid. ROY.

15. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

That would make a great X-Mass card.

16. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Ooops, Your right, I had the transition off a year. Cool project, My buddy has a 64' 4 Speed post car thats getting a Hi-Po 289 "looking" built 302. The project is on hold right now though.

17. Well I got the front end off and the drivers side fiberglass fender on. Overall it fits pretty good, the door gap is decent. The hood gap is a little big, but I am not building a show car, its a racecar so I am not sweating it. Once I get the fiberglass hood, it may be a little large and fill part of the gap.

Interesting news for us Falcon/ Ranchero guys... I have been bugging Crites for a couple months about making a dual inlet fiberglass hood like the comets, for the falcon...I sent another email this week and it looks like they will be making the tooling etc this winter with the hoods to be ready in late february , early march. I think that will look great on my falcon. I like the teardrop as well, but I want something that is a little different than what is out there.

I paid off my credit card yesterday and guess I could not keep that zero balance so I ordered Cal-Tracs, mono leaf springs, adjustable rear shocks and 90-10 front shocks all Calvert Racing stuff through MoneyMaker (thanks Alex.)

Is there anyway to tell if the axles in my rear end are 28 or 31 spline without removing them? I have heard if they have three circles in the end versus the rectangle cast into them, they could be 31 spline, but that is not true 100% of the time.

Happy Friday!

Attached Files:

18. Just got done playing santa so i thought i would put a couple pictures of todays progress up. Got the front cragars mounted, looks so much better!! With the tires mounted each one weights 37 lbs, heavy but hopefully the lightened front end will help make up for it.

Attached Files:

19. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

I am not a drag racer but have been kicking around the ideal of building an era car.

Where can I find out what B/FX means?

Thanks
    Rodney

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Rodney;B/FX stands for B,factory experimental.It was a class based on the cars weight to cubic inches,light cars were small blocks,heavy cars were big blocks.Some of the Nostagia Super Stock groups run a B/FX class,it is based on elapsed times currently,not the old 60s system. ROY.

21. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Good to see some pics of those crites fenders with how they fit...i will be using them on my 64 and doors as well..do you know how much those fenders weigh ??..thanks Dave

22. Rooster, I need to take the fenders off again soon to do some work on suspension etc... so I will weigh them then. Just by lifting them vs the orginals I would say they are at least 1/2 the weight.

I put the trim holes in yesterday and got the passenger side fender mounted, so far no major modifications needed and the fenders fit real well. A little sanding the gap on the drivers side where it meets the door and I have to move the passenger door forward about 1/8" just to look right.

In the photos below you can see my super scientific way of laying out the trim holes, some 2x6's, a jackstand and a laser level I use to hang pictures. It actually worked out real well.

Attached Files:

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;looks good,wish we would have had a laser when we did that 64 Futura!!!! To hell with the weight,I like the look of those Cragers!!!!It looks like the Falcon fenders fit better than my Comet fenders did! I still have not heard about the rollbar information,will try again tomorrow. ROY.

24. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Damm they look good mike..and half the weight is good too,i guess i need to get off my ass and take some pics of my build and post them up too...i keep going out to the money tree but for some reason it never grow..hahaha ... i have bought a new hood from crites but still need the fenders and doors,bumpers...and santa did'nt brind em..Rooster

25. I was also going to get the doors but for the money and weight savings it was not worth it to me. I have been shown by Roy that there is nothing a hole saw can't lighten! Lol. The original doors on my car fit really well and I also did not want to deal with trying to line up fiberglass doors and fenders especially as picky as I am. But it is a racecar not a show I need to keep reminding myself function over looks!

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;nothing wrong with making the fit and finish good,why spend all the money and time and not be pleased with the outcome.You got a first hand look at some quick and fast race cars that looked great while you were at CHRR!!We will never get rich racing our cars,so why not build them the way WE want them!! ROY.

27. voodoo1

voodoo1

Man thats really cool, good progress. Tell me tho. What's it like to be single? Tell us guys that haven't experienced that feeling in many decades....She keeps threating to pack her stuff, I tell her it's more room for my projects, then she stops. I think I'm doing it wrong. HAHA. Mike

28. I guess what I was reffering to was putting every paint dob on the driveshaft and chalk mark on behind the headlight assembly, stuff I have done for years on factory style restorations. I will make sure everything lines up as nice as I can get it but I don't want to go crazy with property heater hose markings or the proper logo on the top of the fender bolts!! But if I can get it half as nice as your groups cars I saw at the CHRR, I would be happy....then all thats left is to get the darn thing to hook and run! Lol

29. I can pretty much sum up divorce in one word EXPENSIVE! (monetarily, emotionally etc...) I had to sell a couple cars and definetly re organize my life and finances, but it's a choice I made...probably without doing all the research LOL..if I read as much about mariiage as I do about old Fords maybe things would be different!... but can I work on car parts in the living room while watching American Pickers? YOU BET!

30. Seems to b coming a long well, that spare body you have would make a good start, where did the fenders come from?