Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. derbydad276

derbydad276

growing up in the (downriver ) area suburb Allen Park
    near Detroit it was Cruising Heaven in the late 70's early 80's in my
    1971 455 H.O. Trans Am
    there was fort st and west road in Trenton and also on saturday afternoons Elisabeth Park
    Telegraph was where it was at back then, Woodward was closed down
    we used to race on Grand river or on the I96 service drive in front of AAA

you could go into the city and race on grand blvd or out to French road near (city) airport
    another good racing spot was eckles road and schoolcraft in plymouth township
    was also a great place
    main street plymouth was fun too

I had cousins who lived on the (east ) side and would cruise Gratiot with them

I grew up with stories from my father and uncle running Woodward in the late fiftys
    my dad in his Hemi powered 53 dodge coupe D/gas and my uncle with his 57 vette he bought when he got out of the navy in 59

mention cruising to kids today and they look at you and stare and ask why

2. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Early 80s, North Street shopping center, Danbury, CT. Drove a 73 Maverick (P.O.S I bought for $300), a 69 Rally Sport Camaro. Had a friend that had a 78 Malibu Wagon with a 402. Fun times, but no more...

3. Graham-Cracker

Graham-Cracker

Joplin Mo. It was Main st. To 7th. & down 7th. To Kellers BBQ.

4. mickeymoto48

mickeymoto48

Ocean Ave. in Lompoc, CA during the 60's. Fosters Freeze at one end of town and A&W Root Beer Drive-In with car hops at the other end. Burned up a lot of $.25 a gallon gas cruising back and forth in my '55 Chevy two door wagon with a 283 and 4-speed. A couple miles out of the city limits was a paved two lane farm road with a 1/4 mile marked off. Somebody always had a passenger with a flashlight to be a starter. Good times. Could of filmed American Graffiti there.

5. captainray

captainray

10th street Modesto California 1963 and 1964... much better times back then 1951 Ford Victoria, 1956 Ford...

6. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

Business loop 70 in Columbia Mo. mid to late 60's between O boys and Play boys...too much fun.

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

No city streets where I grew up...no Main Street...just roads. I cruised the backroads of Hancock County, Maine.

8. sidehacker

sidehacker

Spring street in New Albany. I was the guy in the orange 69 Cyclone supercobrajet

9. 2nd street, Long Beach
    main street, Seal Beach
    Main Street, Huntington Beach

10. Shookie

Shookie

Skip's Drive-in on North Ave. just west of Chicago,Il. in the 60's....

11. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

Early 70's, Fresno, Belmont Ave from Blackstone to Roeding Park.

12. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

Walnut Creek, CA. Main St. Hokeys 19 cent Hambugers, across from Mel's Drive Inn, 1955-57.

13. ice T

ice T
    from Ohio

Sylvania Ave in Toledo Ohio back in the 60's. There was a White Hut drive in at each end and we would cruise between them

14. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

Lonsdale St Dandenong in the late 60's early 70's, doing laps in my hotted up Morry Minor, mate had a mint FJ, with later 6 and orig box, went thru 14 of those cog boxes, we were always pushing him out of places cos he had no reverse.
    Steve De Georges had the best fish n chips.

15. SHTBOX29

SHTBOX29

Belvidere IL, State street to logan avenue then we would loop thru the A+P (grocery store) parking lot which housed Cooks Speed Shop and Western Auto a fairly famous speed shop in the day, back out to Logan Avenue to take a right at Y at N.State and S. State thru town to Dodge Lanes (Bowling lane) and pull under the canopy and go real slow, there was a glass wall that you could look thru to see who was playing pool, they had a large room filled with pool tables, then around the back of the building back to N.State street and do it all again. Thats where it all happened when I was in high school, looking for all the important things Cars, Women, Beer, not necessarily in that order. Sometimes we had to settle for a burger and a sundae at the Dari Ripple.

Post note' Belvidere seemed to have its share and more of Yenko Nova's for its size.

16. khead47

khead47

Does anyone in the Metro Detroit area remember street racing on Stecker Rd (an industrial dr.), in Dearborn? Seen a kid roll his dads new Chrysler there!

17. trimph1

trimph1

Dundas Street in Woodstock ON -late 1960's / early 1970's. Between 2 Gas stations...or shorter depending...

Dundas Street in London ON-same period as well. Between Colbourne St and Ridout St...

18. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

Woodward Avenue....Detroit

19. fatkoop

fatkoop

We drug Main in Pueblo, Co. Burned up more 25 cent gas than I care to remember. God! I miss those days. And draggin' Main too!

20. Mooney Blvd Visalia Ca.
    K street Tulare Ca.
    Chester Ave Bakersfield Ca.

21. kcsa75

kcsa75

3rd Street in Manhattan, KS.

22. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

Topeka Blvd. Topeka Ks.
    down 29th to the Disco-nection and Checkers to get our groove on.

23. Kenny T

Kenny T

My father used to race there in his '60 Thunderbird conv.

24. Koolman

Koolman

Church street in Burlington, Vermont now a pedestrian mall. Used the parents 64 impala station wagon ( we were so cool---- lol ).

25. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

East Main St, Torrington, CT.
    Burger King at the bottom of the hill to McDonalds at the top.
    Lots of lights that were timed for 25 mph...or a variation thereof.

26. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

N Miami Fl, Skippys Drive In , NW 7th Ave & 117 St with my 327 powered 57 Vette, Pizza Palace Coral City Fl with my 477/425 powerd 57 Ford Custom 300, Pizza Palace, Hialeah Fl with my new 67 GTO 400/360 HO, 4 speed, 390 rear. looked for races from S Miami to Ft Lauderdale. Then went legal with an NHRA Junior Stock 59 Chevy Biscayne 283/185 4 speed

27. jasper30

jasper30
    from kansas

Main street in scott city KS

28. johnnyvees

johnnyvees
    from sunland ca

cruised my 1970 Charger down
    1, Van Nuys Blvd (Race)
    2, Hollywood Blvd (Hookers)
    3, Sunset Blvd (Hookers)
    4, Colorado Blvd (Race)
    5, Foothill Blvd (Race)

one hell of a great time sure do miss it.

29. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Greenville, SC. But it was only last year so... Mostly I saw JDM stuff and 4x4's with the rare muscle car, but once in a rare while I would see a hot rod. Most of them would be considered gross here, but seeing a fiber 32 with a sbc, billet accesiories, and a heavily updated interior is a refreshing sight.

30. Kansas City in the '70s had a great cruising scene. On the southeast side where I hung out, we cruised Blue Ridge Boulevard from the McDonald's at 87th street in KCMO south to the McDonald's in Grandview...only 5.5 miles, but there were a lot of cars there. Sometimes we would run over to Noland Road in Independence, especially after spending an evening at Kansas City International Raceway. Over on the Kansas side of the metro we'd hit State Avenue in KCK and Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park. Our impromptu races were at the "Raytown Flats" on the Missouri side, and US-69 on the Kansas side. We never ventured north of the river, but I gotta believe there was some action up there as well. Great times and lots of gas burned up.