Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949-64 Ford Bellhousing To Mustang T5 (What Bearing Retainer To Use?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I finally got my tailshafts swapped over on my Mustang T5. I also got the T5 mounted to my 49-51 Ford flathead bellhousing with only the two bottom bolts holding it on. Now, my question is which bearing retainer do I use that will slide into the Ford hole on the bellhousing? I've got the one from the S10 T5, and the outer diameter is really close, but it won't go in. Is there one that will just bolt up to the T5 and slide in, or should I just turn the S10 bearing retainer down to fit the diameter of the flathead bellhousing?

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd turn it down, if it's only .080" or less...don't forget to leave a little chamfer on the outer edge to 'introduce' it to the bellhousing bore...

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you're going to also find the Mustang input shaft is about 1" too long; well, at least my late '80s/early '90s is. The adaptors that match the Mustang T-5 to the '49-up bells are 1" thick and accept the Mustang bearing retainer. Like this one.

[​IMG]

The '51 Merc bell I'm using has the same basic dimentions as all '49-'53 Ford/'51-'53 Merc bell housings. The combo looks like this.

[​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

Where the hell do you get one of those? I wouldn't mind having one myself.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought mine from the old Motor City Flatheads several years ago. They still might be available from Mark Kirby @ Shaddow Rods, or from other companies that sell T-5/TKO adaptors. :)

6. You think the T5/TKO adapter will work? I found one with a good price.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The TKO and T-5 transmissions are completely different. What I meant was someone who sells adaptors for each. I've never seen one adaptor that can handle both, but it's possible.

8. I looked for some adapters earlier with no luck. Even looked for spacers too, but nothing turned out. I wonder what input shaft would be an inch shorter from another T5 so that I could get it to work that way.

9. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER