Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Car Photographer Marcia Campbell 1932 - 2009

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Michelley

Michelley

You know, Rik, that Marcia desired & deserved
    the credit, acknowledgement, & recognition she is endowed with posthumously.
    That you polished up the color transparency
    of her photograph of her custom at her home,
    for TRJ, & your HAMB & Custom Car website icons,
    is showing her the most reverent respect.
    She gave up on all that many years ago.
    She would be very grateful for you.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    lothiandon1940 and Nobey like this.
  2. Nobey

Nobey

Hey Rikster, Just finished this thread on Marcia, what an incredible job you did, attention to detail, impecable. Michelley, you sure have a talent for writing-such a great tribute to Marcia, thank you all. Anyway, I recognized this photo of the '32 from a George Barris series called "Let George do it". Looked through the archives and found it in a 2-part Rod and Custom, March and April 1956. The two aforementioned gals from Texas watched as they tore the car down, new '40 steering, cross members, pedals, (Dick Kraft built a new floor). Part 2- refit the body, rolled the rear pan, added Pontiac tail lights, straightened the body and primed for paint. It also says that the photo was taken by G. Barris. The girls towed the car back to Texas. Hope this helps, Nobey

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Skirv

Skirv

Iv'e read this thread several times before and never noticed, but that looks like a tattoo on Marcia's right arm peeking out from under the sleeve of her shirt...unless it's part of an undershirt, shadow, or some other optical illusion?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  4. Michelley

Michelley

Hello Skirv!
    That is simply an optical illusion.
    Miss Marcia was a devout Catholic girl with strict rules about that.
    Actually, she was quite amused by the modern custom/hot rod car culture,
    with its relatively dramatic grooming, clothing, music, and car design styles, compared to her days gone by.
    She was squeaky clean.
    Warmest Regards,
    ~Michelley

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  5. Skirv

Skirv

Thanks for your insight and information Michelley. I thought it seemed odd.

6. Michelley

Michelley

I do have to mention though,
    she regularly adorned a few bruised arms and legs,
    scraped knuckles and knees, torn dungarees,
    and authentic grease smudges on her face,
    as she did quite a bit of her own wrenchin'!
    Now that's Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie!

7. Rik ,I want to thank you for mentioning and giving me credit for that Jerry Quesnel thing at Montebello.I wasnt surprised when I didnt see my name in theTRJ,I kind of figured that was going to happen.Also I knew right after I said it out loud that I shouldnt of said it.Oh well whats done is done and its cool they used my info but its not cool that they passed it off as their own discovery. Anyway just wanted to say thanks Rik.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  8. williebill

williebill

Can't believe I hadn't seen this thread until tonight.Loved the TRJ article.Many thanks to Rik,and everybody who contributed to it,and this thread.Amazing story.

We are so lucky to even have this history.The older I get,the more important this becomes to me,so thanks again to all involved.

9. sololobo

sololobo

What fab stuff this is, R.I.P. Marcia Campbell, a true female rodding historian. Thank you for sharing this info Rickster. ~sololobo~

10. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Bringing this back up for some history lessons. Maybe someone new might see the big difference in what was done back in the day. They did things the right way. not over chopping and having everything laying on the ground looking like its broken.

11. Rikster

Rikster

Since Bickford brought this one back up again....

This really great photo of Marcia Campbell's 1942 Ford was also used in my article about Marcia in The Rodder's Journal #51. But it was used on a whole spread, so the magazine center interrupted the wonderful flow of the car. So I thought it was a good idea to show the complete photo as it is. The snapshot was taken with Marcia and a few of there friends inside the car which is the reason why the car has such a perfect stance in this photo. This perfect stance enhances the rest of the perfectly flowing lines of the Barris customizing. As can be sean in this photo is that Marcia really loved this photo, its scratched, and its edges are torn from carrying it with her for a long time. Thanks to David Zivot and Michelle Yiatras this photo has been saved, and can now be enjoyed. I rotated the photo a bit so that now the car and house are level. The snapshot was taken on an angle.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940, Jet96 and catdad49 like this.
  12. ^^^^perfection.

13. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

HISTORY LESSON TIME!!

Just bring this back up incase someone might have missed it.

14. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

^^And you just made me read it all again!! ;) Amazing story, and her 42´is on of my favorite customs, its hard to beat those lines!

So back up with this one!!

15. Rikster

Rikster

Unfortunately most of Marcia's Custom Car photo are long gone. But luckily we still have quite a few.
    And there are also a couple of photos left from the other cars that Marcia enjoyed in here live.

Here is a Model T that Marcia completely restored, and she had just won an award with it in a 1953 concours.

Thanks to David and Michelle for saving these photos.

[​IMG]

Marcia also restored this all stock 1936 Ford woody in the 1970's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and catdad49 like this.
  16. Great pictures of that woody Rik,thanks for posting.Thanks to David and Michelle for saving the pictures.

17. [​IMG]
    I would really like to see one of these 36 woody's disguised as a custom.Just lowered with a correct ass down nose up stance and some skirts and a pair of appletons wouldnt hurt either.I know Woody diehards probably would hate it but I think it would look cool and different.

18. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

That was one of the Best reads I have ever read!

Thanks Rik!!

I don't know how I have never seen this post before.

19. Michelley

Michelley

Hello Rikster!
    I believe Suzanne told me that it is her that slid into the driver’s seat
    as Marcia jumped out of the usual carload to snap the photo
    in front of one of the drop off homes.
    And yes, Marcia had a fondness for both woodies (she had a few),
    and teddy bears (she had dozens).
    I have the funniest photo of the teddy bears arrayed on the woodie.
    I'’ll post the pic when I dig it out of storage.
    ~Michelley

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and catdad49 like this.
  21. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I remember there was a 41 MERC woodie that was done up 40's tail dragger style. I believe it was once owned by the guy who started the national woodie club.

22. Michelley

Michelley

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ...
    Teddy Bears' Picnic!

Attached Files:

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

History lesson time !!!!

24. Michelley

Michelley

Hello BICKFORD!
    Is this what you mean?

Marcia belonged to the now defunct International League of Teddy Bear Collectors spanning 1985-2000, headquartered in SoCal, boasting three hundred+ members worldwide. Marcia was a founding member and served as president 1988 & '89, after holding offices of secretary, treasurer, and vice-president. Marcia was also a member of other teddy bear clubs in San Gabriel Valley and Orange County. She collected antique, vintage, and artisan bears, she had about 400. Suzanne herself made bears. Marcia and she had a business named "Bear Clawset" for twenty years from the 1980's-2000's, selling bears and bear making supplies.

"If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.
    If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise.
    For every bear that ever was, will gather there for certain because,

Today's the day the Teddy Bears have their Picnic...
    Val Rosing vocal, Kennedy lyrics, Bratton melody, 1932

For your perusal are the pages of the 1965 Tricentric
    L.A. Mercedes-Benz Club of America racing program results.
    You'll notice the published final winning results of the Ladies Division
    with Marcia Campbell and her '56 300 SL Gullwing
    in 1st Place for Slalom and Gymkhana, 2nd Place for Acceleration.
    Also 4th Place Best of Show Sports Class (after three men).
    And the entire Sweepstakes Winner being Marcia Campbell!
    The program photos are indicated by Marcia's own annotated sticky notes.

Attached Files:

catdad49, lothiandon1940 and Nobey like this.
  25. There is not much to say about this picture right here except it is Custom perfection.This is what it is all about right here and a ton of car people have forgotten what a custom really is.Im not just talking about people on the Hamb either ...I mean the majority of people at good carshows have no clue of this style and era.It really is sad,I went to a great (location) carshow this weekend and witnessed it.:(

26. You are correct Jeff. That picture is bitchen. That car has "flow" in spades.
    If someone gave me that car, all I would change is the title.
    D

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love Marcia's car, and thats my fav pic of it ! Great pic of when a custom was often the daily driver, she's usin it and having fun with it! Nice smile on her face too.

28. Im still stuck on this vision of perfection.It just amazes me the number of these cars out there and the way that the owners decide to build them. It just proves that just because a person is older in years doesn't mean they are wiser in knowledge.I dont see how anyone can own a car of this bodystyle and not go this direction with it.These people consider their cars customs because they maybe lowered or have lake pipes and Iroc mirrors.It tells me that there are a lot of people who dont do research that predates their early years.I find it very interesting that most people who grew up in the late 50s to early 60s will not build a car that is of earlier styling then the late 50s to 60s.

Maybe it's a matter of pride ? Do they really believe that those years are the early days of customs ? I don't mean to disrespect my elders here but it is some thing I have noticed.
    I just cant get over Marcia's custom and I dont get why older people don't dig this era.

29. HAHA well said Jeff! But I don't think it comes down to a lack of research or pride I just think some (possibly most) honestly prefer the non traditional look. I don't understand it any more than you do but I think it is more a preference than a lack of understanding.

30. I think that it's the shadow of her right sleeve. If you look at the shadow on her right cheek you'll note the same tone on her skin.​