Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you carry a fire extinguisher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Dec 3, 2011.

1. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

So wonder how many of you carry a fire extinguisher in your ride?

Was thinking about putting one in mine now that my Model A coupe is on the road but trying to come up with a place to put it and be some what inconspicuous has been a challange. Any thoughts?

2. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I have one under my driver seat. I watched my Nova's engine compartment burn once, it's a horribly helpless feeling. An extinguisher may or may not be enough, but its cheap insurance.

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I put one in my '34 pickup. I mounted it on the the tunnel between the seats.

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

everyone should. with that said, maybe i should practise what i preach. i better get one.

5. Lucky77

Lucky77

I do, and I have a kill switch on the dash. Just left over habits from my circle track days.

6. Always.......Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!!!!!!!!!

7. I have one in the '59 , watched a friends 62 Caddy go up a few years back so after that I got one.

8. khead47

khead47

always carry one in my rods, two in my motorhome. hmmmm, don't have one in my dd. gotta fix that.

9. cloned clown

cloned clown

I have seen them mounted to the side of the drivers seat riser. When the door is closed the extinguisher is out of sight, but when the door is opened it is easily accessible....if you need it.

10. 4-pot

4-pot

I'm running 4 97's so I got a halon extinguisher. 50 years ago I burned up a couple of jackets putting out carb fires on my 55 ford with 3 97's , so I have carried one ever since.

11. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

KILL SWITCH and fire extinguisher--reminds me of how I learned--(sorry to use your thread)--I was in my 36 Olds sedan,blasting across northern NM. Turned at Eagle Nest and gassed it--455 and nova clip-the olds would haul--All of a sudden the dash went up in smoke-I couldn't breath or see---Power window wouldn't work--wind was blowing the door shut---and this started at 85 MPH----Got it shut down sideways in the ditch,jumped out and could see a red glow of carpet under the dash, ran and opened the trunk--battery was there--and I had no tools in my hands,plastic battery box and good cables--I just started jerking--I will never forget the site of that Gates Battery flying thru the air---Ran back and started digging frozen dirt and throwing it under the dash---Saved it--
    Lerned right then--Kill Switch and Extinguisher at hand

12. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

So what is a good type and size to get.

13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

One of those things that I always new I needed. Gotta get one hearing these stories.

14. Like others,I have one mounted right next to the battery cut off switch. It doesnt matter if it is inconspicous or hidden, it NEEDS to be easlily accessable or it will be useless. Mitch.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I carried one in my 27 for years and got to actually use it when I saw a pickup on fire on the side of the road one time. But I stopped carrying one when people started stealing it out of my open roadster while I was parked at restaurants and places like that. :mad: I really should put one back in but fear it will get taken too.

Don

16. scrubba

scrubba

I have a Fire extinguisher in all my rides ............. scrubba

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't forget to check and see if it is still good. need a couple for shop too. watch out on shaved cars with electric solenoids and no manual door/trunk opener. search other threads here: Fire Extinguisher / Fire Extinguisher Mounts: Options, and Where Do You Get Them

18. 66L-79

66L-79

Got one under the seat when you open the door you can see it easy to get to.

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a chrome one on the passenger kick panel

Attached Files:

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've got one in both my rods and my daily driver. I've put out other people's engine fires when they didn't have one, plus one of my own. Cheap insurance.
    But remember to take them out once in awhile and shake them! Had a friend who had a fire this year and his sat long enough to be solid. He hit it on the ground and got it broke up, but wasn't as effective as it should bbe. Luckily someone stopped with a good one and helped put his fire out.

21. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I've been driving around in my '64 F100 with the extinguisher from the garage sitting on the passenger seat all week. No frickin way am I letting my brand new engine go up in flames if I can help it. I plan on picking up a couple up today while we're out Christmas shopping, one for the cab and one in the bed.

22. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

If it hadn't been for a full 20oz. coffee I had in my hand I would have lost an almost perfect 68 400 Firebird from a split fuel line. After I got my 55 chevy built I bought one and it lives between the bucket seats. I'll never be without one again. It's a must have and real cheap insurance.

23. 5window

5window

Most of the smaller ones are disposable, not refillable ones. Usually good for about 5 years. Since a Model A has wood in it, and who knows if you'd have an electrical fire or a fuel fire, I'd get an ABC rated one. Walmart (sigh) has a wide selection as do the other box retailers like Loews and THE Home Depot.

The Halon extinguishers are a lot more $ but maybe won't create such a mess if you have to use it.

24. VINNIE JAMES

VINNIE JAMES

i have mine sitting on the floor, behind the passenger seat. its too big to mount. i also have one in my daily driver. you never know. you might be able to save someone else's ass.

25. Ole don

Ole don

I will never again trust the cheapy Kidde brand. I had a gasoline fire under the hood this summer and the cheapy would not fire. I also had a marine grade extinguisher that put the fire out in one second. The cheapy was 24 bucks at Wal Mart. The good one was 38 bucks and it saved the car, the garage, and possibly the truck parked outside. What is your stuff worth???? The whole story is on Fordbarn A forum now.

26. yekoms

yekoms

http://www.amerex-fire.com/products/hand-portables/halotron-i-clean-agent-extinguishers/ Check your are for a dealer. H&H in Limerick ,PA is where I get mine.

Have a small Halotron in all the vehicles. A dry powder back up in the trunk also. The small Halotrons are are short blast that does great. Dry powder is for areas where clean up is not an issue and back up. Halotrons aren't cheap but way worth it in my mind. The dry powder ones are cheaper but you pay for it with the clean up damage afterwards.
    I look at it like this, you pay yearly to insure the car just incase you need it. A quailty extinguisher is hopfully a once and done cost.
    I grew up with this stuff. Hence the name that I was born with.
    Have fun,Smokey

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yekoms brings up a good point, the dry extinquishers sure make a mess and the powder is corrosive. Better than what a fire would cause though.

They used to have halon ones (didn't know about the halotron he mentions) but it was banned as they caused damage to the ozone layer. But they REALLY worked great. My Sons Olds engine caught fire one time when we were working on it and I tapped the button on our halon extinquisher and the fire just disappeared in a second, with no mess. Halon worked by removing the oxygen from the air, so you had to be careful not to use it in an enclosed space or you would be deprived of air. :eek:

Don

28. fireman 55

fireman 55

Ole don, Im with you on not trusting the cheapy brands. I also have had bad luck with them. I always have one or two in my rides, i perfer that my Extinguishers have a nozzle (hose) on them to help derecit the powder. (under a dash)

29. My49Plymouth

My49Plymouth

I had a nice size fire a few weeks back in my driveway. A result of carelessness and extrordinary stupidity. After I was able to put myself out ("The most on fire I have evr been in my life"), I ran and grabbed my fire extinguisher. It was a type with a plastic squeeze handle. IT DID NOT WORK. The plastic handle just crumpled and the extinguisher did not spray. I grabbed my other extinguisher with metal handles - it worked - and I put out the fire.

30. coop ED

coop ED

Had a VW years ago, I know I know I was a college kid 25 years ago, Anyways the thing caught fire like they always do. Ever since then I have always carried one.. have one in my shoebox doesn't matter where it's mounted or seen, just have it.