Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 GMC - Imported from Detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DFD2010-A, Nov 26, 2011.

1. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

Hey all, first off I would like to say hello and take an opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Matt, I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic in southern Ohio and have been working on my old junk (learning as I go) for about 4 years. My latest project is a 1950 GMC 100 farm truck....here is my story so far.

I had been looking for a rusted out 50's era GMC for a while, but hadn't found one within a reasonable price that had a strong foundation to head in the direction I had planned. By chance I was headed through a small farm town about an hour and a half east of where I live, and spotted my truck with an old for sale sign leaning against the front bumper. Knocked on the door of the house and that was that! It ended up being a one owner, an old farmer bought the truck brand new in 50' and had owned it every since. After he passed his son had no use for the truck and wanted to move it out of the way.

It came with a 228 inline 6, three speed (on the tree) and a plentiful amount of rusty parts! Right now my projections for the truck are -

-4-53T Detroit Diesel Swap (2 stroke)
    -5 speed manual with 2 speed auxiliary transmission
    -Replace factory wiring harness with one off
    -Replace factory front and rear ends with P-30 and 14 bolt (respectively)
    -Upgrade factory braking system with disc front/drum rear and hydro boost.
    -Remove factory bed and install wood floor flatbed
    -Wire wheel cab and fenders and flat clear coat to preserve its current condition.

That's the big ticket items, of course there will be little things that pop up and become of interest! I'll throw pictures up as progress begins and try to keep this as updated as possible. For now here is the truck!

[​IMG]

2. Welcome, we'll be watching.

3. Ole don

Ole don

Cool idea you have. I have always wanted to do that, but with a Fuller eight speed Road Ranger. I would keep the bed thats on it, it looks right. You are on the right track to make a cool truck.

4. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

Lately I've pulled the old 228 inline, transmission and outdated "torque tube" driveshaft. Also pulled the factory wiring harness, there was no point in salvaging it with the amount of exposed wire and outdated connections. Not to mention a little piece of mind!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

And the new 4-53T! Out of a farm dredge, it's a 1994 model but was overhauled about 5 years ago. Transmission(s) are coming from Cali and should be here within the next two weeks or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Scottrods2

Scottrods2

Looks Awesome. I have a line on a '53 GMC and will be watching this as inspiration. Still haven't decided on whether to make the move or not. It's an all original rust bucket also.... I'd restore or make a wild custom out of it if I buy.... or maybe even move it through for a little extra money. The price is very right also.... but seeing how you approach some of the issues will help me decide what to do (The truck isn't going anywhere soon I don't think)

7. sqhd

sqhd

A friend of mine did the exact same conversion on a 70's GMC, but the engine was a 3 cyl turbo'd detroit 2 stroke. Same trans but he never had to shift it out of high range. It would pull a house down. Biggest problem was the noise at highway speed. That 2 stroke whine was enough to kill that project and he swapped it out for a 350 latter. He tried insulating the firewall, floor and underside of the hood, but the noise was too much.

Carl

8. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

Thanks for all the support so far! I know the noise will be an issue and haven't tackled it yet. It will be mostly an around town truck and not for long trips (that's what the 06' Duramax is for!!) I like em' loud anyway...seems to draw more attention that way :D.

This will be a learn-as-I-go project for me too...so I will definitely share my successes and failures. My hopeful finish date is sometime next spring/summer. At least far enough to drive around the block, I'm not sure it will ever be "finished" but that's true for a lot of things.

My one missing link right now is an air starter...I'm looking for a used Ingersoll Rand 150BMP, 30 gal tank and compressor....once I have that it will be ready to drop in and fab mounting brackets.

9. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

Two other guys I know doing air starts are both stating that 50 gallons of air is teh MINIMUM.... (both are running 60+ gallons) Just as an FYI.

Go the electrical starter unless your okay with eating up all the bed for air tank.

Heres a friend of my with a 48 chevy and detroit (with fuller trans)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxRBhyIwFE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

And another buddy with a GMC half ton version.... with a 2 stick....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

10. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

Got the factory bed off today. From here it's all focused on building it back up, next steps will be to fire the Detroit on the stand and get the kinks out and to get the P30 axle swap finished. Pics to follow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

As a retired US Navy "wrench" I had a lot of face time with Detroit Diesels It should provide a great engine choice!!
    If you ever want to move that windshield visor give me a yell, PLEASE!!!!!

12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

13. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

Thanks! The fire department is a 95% urban setting and we have a lot of older apparatus due to budget issues. Our front line ladder trucks have 60 series Detroits and the front line engines have Detroits also, haven't found the block numbers on them yet.

Talking to the mechanics at the fire garage they have nothing but great things to say about them, which is always good news!

I appreciate your interest in the visor but I think I'm going to hold on to it! I haven't seen many more like it, which is what I like on my vehicles.

14. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

15. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

I'm looking for some advise here. I have the opportunity to buy a rolling chassis from a 1990 P30 2WD. It has the Ibeam front end, Dana 80 rear with discs up front. I'm trying to decide if labor wise it's going to be more intensive to swap the heavy duty axles and driveline off the P30 and put them on the 1/2 ton frame (after having to box atleast the front 40%). Or, should I move the 1950 body over and do the body work to make it fit on the more modern P30 chassis? Thoughts on this anyone?

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Neat project.......
    Don't screw up the thread with talk of "1990" anything, including late model frame swap!
    Folks here ( some), don't take kindly to such, and if you have not read the rules of what the forum is all about...........Do so.
    Just sayin', Bro.

17. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

Thanks for the reply, I have read the rules and understand the ideas surrounding the forum. I'm not trying to raise any trouble by looking at a 1990 chassis, in reality it's the same frame that was used in P30's and similar 1 ton + trucks 20-40 years prior. There's no "technology" attached. You could argue the same with my Detroit diesel, there are 1990's versions that use the same technology that was developed in the WWII era.

Again, I'm doing everything I can to keep my truck vintage and hope not to offend anyone in the process.

18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Rock on, Brother!

19. 47Ford - 1.5Ton

47Ford - 1.5Ton

No worries Matt on what some think as 'off-topic'

My thread is similar to yours and ranks with the top 100 of the most popular threads on the entire HAMB...... (113,000 views and counting)

Occasionally you get a grumpy old bastard but..... where don't you....

Your hot rodding pre 1964.... and the majority of guys here are okay with it.... even if you are putting a late 90's chassis underneath...... (hell the only thing from 1947 on mine is the body..... )

20. DFD2010-A

DFD2010-A

Took a little time over the weekend and got a few pointless things done.

Made these guys from scrap pieces I had off my two detroits. Not sure what the use will be yet but cool to have around the shop!

[​IMG]

Also picked this plate up from Detroit Diesel, it'll look good on the front bumper when she's all finished.

[​IMG]

That's all for now, shipping out the governor this week to be rebuilt for automotive use and waiting on the #2 bellhousing , automotive oil pan and remote oil filter adapter to arrive! Frame will be here Wednesday and then I can really get to work!

21. curly 54

curly 54
    from Australia

looks good mate cant wait to see some more photos.