Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blue suede cruise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tripple G, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Tripple G

Tripple G

Because of other commitments, I could not attend this year's Blue Suede Cruise, in Norwalk, OH. Just wondering how things are going and looking for the first signs of photographs from the event.

2. sj71189

sj71189

It was pretty good. We got there after the rain around 10:45 or so. Stayed till maybe 2ish. There wasn't that many vehicles. I'd say maybe 100. Maybe 150. Didn't seem like that many. Not that many swapers set up either. Drags were pretty good.

3. Slammed_66

Slammed_66

It was a blast, not alot of cars but I think the rain scared people away. I got 34 runs in my truck with a best of [email protected]

4. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Spent Friday and Sat there. It was ok. I agree the weather may have had an affect on turn out. Between sweltering heat and rain a lot of folks had enough. They have dates set for next year so I think the track is committed to making this event a success. I sold some stuff at the swap, so it was a good weekend for me.:D

5. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Hey Justin, just talked to Fred. he said you may have some awesome bbq chicken you can mail me?! haha.
    We wanted to go, but the motor in my 58 Brookwood blew up so spent last week swapping motors, and trying to get it dialed in.
    Plus it looked like rain, and was HOT!:rolleyes:;):p:D

Maybe next year

6. Tripple G

Tripple G

Anybody have any idea what the final car count was? Under Goodguys sponsorship, they were getting somewhere between 2,000 - 3,000 cars on Saturday. Just curious.

7. I was there two years ago when it was GoodGuys and did not see anywhere near 2000 cars at this event.

8. DELRAY54

DELRAY54

Some friends registered the day of the event and were numbered in the 400's. I'd say less than 300 were actually there. Heat and rain probably kept some pre-registers at home.

9. Tripple G

Tripple G

The first year Goodguys did the event, you're right, the car numbers were not in that range, but the second year it had grown. Maybe I miss counted:D I thought the event was headed in the right direction. Always enjoyed the variety of being able to walk the show & shine field and then go watch the vintage drags. I understand why, but was sorry to see Goodguys drop it's sponsorship.

10. Couldn't agreee with you more-loved the drags-Got to see Pure Hell,Nonook,Chi Town Hustler,etc ,etc all gettin' it done, but with the stands as empty as they were,I dont blame GG for pulling out.

11. DELRAY54

DELRAY54

Pre-Goodguys, Blue Suede was already a great event; reasonable price, fun runs all day, free camping, etc.

Goodguys taking over later improved it in some areas, like the vintage drags, and bringing in quality and quantity of cars, etc. Bad things were prices raised, and eliminated free camping, which a lot of participants were used to. I have a feeling that the lack of spectator gate $ is what made Goodguys leave. To my knowledge, almost every other GG's event is in, or right near a large metro area. Norwalk is an hour from Cleveland and Toledo, and the area is not heavily populated. I would know, I grew up there.

Anyway, there were pros and cons with both versions. This year was a little disappointing, but a date is set for next year, and can only hope for the best.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  12. 61falcon

61falcon

Goodguys trend lately seems to be getting away from drag racing. I believe due to insurance costs. Why else would they move Indy from the dragstrip to the Brickyard?

13. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

Turnout was definitely low. Not many folks even walking around or cruising. It was just too hot. And then when it was "almost" decent the rain started. EMS was called a few times too I believe for heat stroke victims.

We got two fun runs in with our '63 Fairlane before we were soaking with sweat. The only reprieve was the Budweiser side Gift Shop with a/c. But how long can you stand in there pretending to look at t-shirts. ha

Disappointing a few key events got rained out. From the bbq, fireworks, flame throwing, etc. etc.

With nicer weather this will be a GREAT show.

14. 59Custom300

59Custom300

I agree, the weather was a killer for this event. We got there early on Friday expecting a crowd and a rush to get a good spot along the fence line, but it was real empty all day. The storm hit about 3, sending everyone to the hotels after an hour of racing. Saturday morning we waited at Bob Evans for it to start raining and eventually went out to the track when the downpour started at about 10. We waited it out, then it got really HOT! About 3 the rains were coming, so we bailed for Columbus. On the upside, I met some really cool people from NY, got to cruise a guys '57 Ford around, and a guy let me warm up his '64 Comet BF/X clone car. I was disappointed in the turnout, but I preregistered for next year, maybe the turnout will be better.

15. Slammed_66

Slammed_66

Did you run down the track? If so I believe I saw you.

16. 59Custom300

59Custom300

Since no one else posted pictures, here's mine: Blue Suede Cruise
    Notice most of them are of pinstriping, being an aspiring pinstriper, I take photos of others work to help with the journey. Here's a teaser of the lovely weather:
    [​IMG]

17. John M

John M

Sorry this is so late. Been a busy summer.
    Hot, humid, rain. More like Missouri weather than what I remember in OHIO. Other than that it was a blast. They opened the strip and let you run as manny passes as you could stand.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]