Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spark plug wire suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Hey, I have been looking for a set of good spark plug wires for the small block going in my 62 Bel Air. The motor is gold color and I am kinda going with the 60's drag car look, (all business). I was thinking yellow but I don't like accel products and it seems they ater the only ones who make them that color. So I was thinking black but that looks kinda "stockish" to me. So that leaves me with red, blue, green, pink, ICK!!!!! So now I'm back to yellow, HELP!!!! I want a decent quality wire also. I would REALY apreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

4. what kind of ignition are you using? sometimes less is more, black. you can always make your own set.

5. harley rider

harley rider

why the bias for accel stuff? I have used there products for many years with no problems. when it comes to wires it kind of depends on how powerful your ignition system is. if running high power system I would step up to MSD or taylor. back in the day yellow was about all you could get for so called perfomance wires.

6. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

I have a points dist. converted to the chrysler electronic pickup. (similar to what GMC Bubba does), with an msd 6AL box hiding out of sight. When did the yellow yires come out? Mid 60s?

7. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

mooneyes hasa nice set of black ones with their logos very clean and retro

8. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

why dont you get a set of old vintage cloth covered sparkplug wires... they are new rubber insulation(modern) on inside with the yellow and blck cloth on the outside...just search antique sparkplug wires............ they should do it for you...k

9. squirrel

squirrel

Black is all business. Didn't the 8mm wires come along some time in the 70s? so just a stock replacement 7mm set would probably be as close as you'll find.

10. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

I thought Taylor made yellow spark plug wires too. N.N.

11. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

I was thinking you could get the yellow accel wires and rub off the wording with mineral spirits or acetone or something along those lines.

12. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Do you think it would be possible to rub the lettering off of a set of black wires???

13. Mattilac

Mattilac

I've always found the lettering to rub right off if you want it to. Makes it easy for a clean look.

14. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Fyi, auto zone sells their own brand(duralast) wires in a cut to fit kit 8mm in black. And they come with a 2yr warranty for 16bucks... Angled and straight boot options. Part number 1600 & 1601. Better than 35 for a set of ugly yellow accel wires with no warranty...

15. Cruiser

Cruiser

Taylor makes lots of color plug wires, black is always the best bet goes with everything. The lettering can removed with a little lacquer thinner.

CRUISER :cool:

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Packard 440, i belive you can still get it somewhere too

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

18. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I've tried most brands. Have had the best results with Taylor 8mm wires with high temp silicon plug boots. They're available in straight, 45 deg, and 90 deg, with a good selection of colors available. (my preference is black). I think black would look the best on a gold motor also.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011