Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's getting cold out, how do you heat your garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Nov 30, 2011.

1. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

So it's starting to get cold here in Ohio and I now remember how I had trouble at the end of last winter getting my very old large Sears 140,000 BTU torpedo hetaer to ignite. Anyone on here have any experience with these? It pumps fuel the fan works but I do not get any spark to the plug/ignitor. Last year I replaced the capicator thinking that was the problem. But was not. Any help would be appreciated. Or suggestions on what everyone else is using to heat their garages.

My garage is attached and about 28 x 28 with 11 foot ceilings. Very well insulated.

Thanks in advance.

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I picked up a modine Hot Dawg ceiling mounted furnace , 80% efficent. Its 100,000 btu for a 34x44. Check out their site. You could get by with a 75-80,000 btu unit. Spark ignition, no pilot light.

3. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Wood, lots of wood! My shop is 30x50x11, concrete block with an unfinished ceiling. I am currently looking for plutonium, I think that is the only way I will get the place heated up this winter!

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

i had one once, when it got old it has hard to start also, rebuilt pump etc with new parts, worked for awhile but it seems when they get old there just done.

i found a used construction site version that runs on nat gas (350,000btu) heats ok, smells a lot better and cheaper than kerosene or propane

5. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

nothing beats thermostatic controlled heat. bought this used from a neighbor. 100,000btu propane. i just have a 90* on top to distribute the heat. turn it down to 45 when i'm not there. check craigslist.org

[​IMG]

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I have a 100,000 btu furnace in my garage that heats the upper floor of our house. Just by virtue if it being there, it keeps the garage above freezing. If I open the vent, I can get it up to 50 to 60 degrees pretty quickly. The garage is fairly well insulated but the 7 x 16 door doesn't provide a lot of r value.

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heat pump! Cool in the summer and warm in the winter!

8. 80,00 btu natural gas unit with a programable thermostat. 1800 sq. ft. garage ( 14 foot ceiling ) and R31 walls with R51 ceiling. Costs less than half what it does to heat my 1950's brick house. Now to just get off 11-12 hour days so I can enjoy it some.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my little workshop shed I used a 500 W work light to light and heat the area right at my work bench. It will keep your hands and face warm but won't warm up a large area. I changed a clutch in 10 below weather by throwing a couple of large tarps over the 48 and jacking it up and putting two 500 W work lights under it. With the help of two cats I got the job done in about an hour and it was fairly comfortable under there.
    I've got a small torpedo heater that I use out in my uninsulated one car garage by aiming it at the open door and blasting heat in. It runs on diesel and isn't fun to be around for long though.

10. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I use a small 4800-watt, 240V construction heater in my well insulated 20 x 22 shop. It works quite well, even when it drops to -30 outside.

11. fleet-master

fleet-master

cold? cold??? twas 36.4 deg C in my shop today :D:D:eek:

12. metalix_421

metalix_421

well it sucks but I have 4 lights that put out quite a bit of heat but still mot enough to (heat) it but it does raise the temp up 15 degrees or so after about two hours LOL

13. ironpile

ironpile

I use a 100,000 byu updraft furnace on nat gas,keeps my 14 x 23 workspace comphy with ease,easy on gas too.

14. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I just start working harder and faster.

15. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I turn on the Fujitsu HP mini split.

16. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

In-floor heat

17. I guess I'm lucky here in California! I heat my garage with a small propane heater.

18. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Old cast iron wood stove from the 40's or 50's, still have to get more pipe and braze up a few cracks as well as get a couple ricks of wood. Hoping it will at least take the bite out of the chill.

19. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

"The Hot One" from HomeDepot. 220 and gets my 26x26 from 50* to 75* in about 20 minutes.

Attached Files:

20. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Well insulated walls and ceiling. South facing garage door. It's attached to the house, so I can open the door into the kitchen and get it up to 55-60 in an hour. Even when it's -25 or so, it will stay right above freezing without any heat. I have considered painting the door a dark color to help absorb more heat, though I don't think my wife or neighbors would appreciate a black suede garage door.

21. Swifster

Swifster

22. Greezeball

Greezeball

BBYBMR has the best way IMO. If I were to build a new garage this is the way I'd go. I presently have a gas fired radiant heater it heats really well.

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Have done the torpedo heaters, etc. Had my fill of them. better than nothing, for sure, but the smell/fumes sure don't help any... Propane dumps a lot of moisture into the air...

At my previous house, I used, a used 100k btu nat. gas 92% house furnace. Worked well, although attached gar, ~ 3 car, wasn't insulated.

At current place, in the 24 x 28 insulated (but not real well) garage, last year I used a Kerosun vapor-type kerosene heater. I kept the gar at ~ 45* during winter, maybe 60* the few times I was in there. I had installed, but not run, an old BlueFlame kerosene vapor-type home heater. Never finished getting it set-up, as I decided I'd had enough of kerosene smell & prices... This year, I'm using a used, Bixby corn/pellet stove. Got some corn to run thru, then going to wood pellets. So far, even on low, it's rather warm.

FWIW.

Marcus...

PS: I've still got these things, don't need them, want to sell them, but don't suppose I can advertise them on the HAMB F/S, w/o getting into trouble. PMs ok.

24. Wooly

Wooly

Well....Living in California in the North Bay area today I warmed my shop by opening
    the roll up door. It was 63 degrees out.

I have also seen web sites for waste oil heaters, they look like a good way to go
    but we can't get away with it in California, even at home when we put it a wood burning stove they made us put in one with a catalytic converter....what next.

Dodge

25. I have a 24x40, well insulated shop.

Believe it or not, I can heat it with a 1500 watt electric oil-filled heater. $40 at K-mart. Won't roast you out of the shop, but keeps it very comfortable for working. Cheap too. An electrician friend of mine ran some calculations and figured it cost less than $2 a day.

Best part - NO PROPANE FUMES!!!!!!

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

i work faster till i feel warm.

27. Rem

Rem

Same here, although I do have a 2KW electric fan heater for when I have to remove tools that are frozen to my fingers.

28. greazy john

greazy john

i get a few girls from the local pole dancer club and have them set real close....... really i have an old electric house furnace to take off the chill until my airtite wood burner gets going , works well..anyway back to the girls i'm getting chilled..l.o.l.

29. Wood, keeps it toasty.

30. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I built an outside wood fired hot water heater. It circulates the hot water through a heater exchanger inside the shop. It is an odd looking bunch of stuff that I made from junk stuff, but it works and it heats my 30 X 40 shop even in well below zero weather. I buy $10 bundles of slab wood from the local saw mill. I can also burn waste oil but I need to work on that part some. I think it cost me about $50 a winter to heat the shop and I work there (at least I am there in the shop) just about 7 days a week.

John