Register now to get rid of these ads!

SB Ford, Killed it by running outta gas?? Help me fix it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Flores, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I had a little air gun pellet in my gas tank,It was clear so Every time I flashed a light I could not see it.
    after I removed a soda cap and that pellet my truck ran for a little while then it stalled.
    Took out old fuel lines,installed new ones and tah dah!!!!
    If you cant see it dont mean it aint there...
    good luck

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I had a similar problem with the 351W in my '51. It ended up that the bolt that holds the pump eccentric to the end of the cam backed out just enough so that the cam wouldn't spin the eccentric. Take your fuel pump off and see if you can wiggle the eccentric with a screw driver. Also, can you unbolt the pump from the motor and operate it by hand? That will tell you if the pump is doing what it needs to do.

Good Luck.

3. You can also try removing the line from the tank to the filter at the filter, Gas should flow freely out of there.
    As recommended, get that filter down on the frame, not up high.
    Also Aluminum fuel line is NOT a good idea for a street car, especially with braided hose to it, too easy for it to crack from vibration and fatigue over time. I've seen it happen a couple of times.

4. Nick
    I don't doubt that someone has already mentioned this so in case they have consider this a little redundancy. if you have a leak in your system between the tank and the pump it will make your truck act like you have described. The fact that it is a new system makes me suspect that something may have loosened a bit and is letting air in.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I agree on the filter deal, manual pumps as well as electric like to push through a filter, not pull. You gotta have the fuel there for the pump to pump. Get rid of that filter and put an inline one between the pump and carb. JMO. Lippy

6. Still comes back to the pump, though. OP said he drove it 50 miles with no problems. I agree that the filter is too high to be on the suction side, but it WAS working....

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I agree. :D I'd still ditch the filter and put a new pump on. :D

8. I can't see any pics but I will toss in my 2 cents ... I have heard several stories about the fancy aluminum fuel filters failing (remember, I can not see the pics so I don't know what you are running). Seems the filter element just crumbles and clogs up the rest of the system (obviously after the filter). I have also heard that aluminum fuel lines can/will crack over time (although I do not know of anyone that has actually happened to) so running steel line might be a better choice. Also, after having some "crud in the tank" issues myself (tank sealer failed and crumbled), I installed a "filter sock" on the end of the fuel line inside the tank (took one off a G-body Cutlass sending unit/feed line) as well as an inline filter between the mech pump and the carb ... one of the "universal" 3/8" stamped steel filters from the parts store, not a fancy one. One other thing crossed my mind ... being that you are in the Phoenix area (extreme heat) make sure your lines are as far away from heat sources as possible so as to avoid vapour lock.

Keep in mind, I am not suggesting these are causing your problems, what I am suggesting is that in the interest of reliabilty, these might be things to consider (obviously once your real issue is solved).

Best of luck

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get rid of the firewall filter!
    get a USA FOMOCO pump!
    Use a rag to help with air nozzle, blow BACK to tank!
    Once line is determined CLEAR.
    Install a "See thru" inline filter.
    Hook up line to fuel pump.
    Pull lead from coil.
    Crank engine & watch until fuel fills sight glass.
    Put coil lead back in coil.
    Crank till engine starts.
    Test drive.

10. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Just got home from work. Need to get some dinner in me, then I'm going to try to get this thing figured out. Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

I'll keep you posted...

11. Dapostman

Dapostman

Don't forget to check the oil!!! A torn diaphragm can fill the crankcase with fuel.

12. I've had the flex line to the pump collapse and shut off fuel.

13. Nicky, Take a gallon jug and tie it to the hood. Start a siphon going and stick it on the carb.
    Once you get it idling , stick a hose on the inlet and outlet of the pump.
    French kiss the hose and see what ya got! LOL

14. Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Had a similar thing happen to me but had 5 thousand miles on the pump. The car just stopped running. After a expensive tow home I removed the pump and took it apart. One of the check valves was laying on the diaphragm. Brought a new pump and took it apart to see what it suppose to look like. Both valves were bottomed in there holes.One of the valves must not been installed right and vibrated out on the old pump. I have never seen that before. I think you have a bad pump.

15. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I have good news guys. I eliminated the firewall filter from the system completely. I cheated a little bit by adding a union between the stainless line and the pump. Its a straight shot from the tank to the pump, plenty of flow. The line from the pump to the carb is still rubber 3/8's with that cheapy glass filter, but I'm upgrading that asap.

It took a few cranks to get it primed, but it seems like we knocked this one out guys.

16. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Nick thanks for posting your followup.....good to hear!